Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
^^No Bike Bum^^
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone put a 2nd or 3rd Gen motor in a 1st gen??

·
Registered
860 Posts
It has been done. I believe there was somebody on here or the Kawi forums that had a 2nd gen in a first but didn't say much about it. The biggest issue is mounting locations on the heads are different. I'm not sure but you will probably have to swap the ecu's, tbi's, and gauges. Little things like the speedo pickup is different, tbi spacing etc... You can try checking out Garth's page as he did run a 2nd gen head on a first gen engine. I'm pretty sure he also ran the 2nd gen tbi's and may have figured out a solution for the mount.

·
^^No Bike Bum^^
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ill do alittle more searching... been finding very cheap deals on 2nd gen motors... i would rather buy a motor and build it then swap them in my bike so i can ride to the motor is complete... never know when it might take longer than expected to finish and would suck not to be able to ride on nice days....

·
Registered
860 Posts
Yeah definitely a great idea if you can do it. What plans do you have for the second engine? Are you wanting to put pistons and/or rods in the bottom end? Maybe just consider picking up a head and have it worked over? Whichever gen you prefer.

·
^^No Bike Bum^^
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
id rather a 1st gen to bolt right in... id like to go to a 1057 with new bottom end... complete head work and some type of cam set up... also looking in to lighting the crank since it will be out anyway...

·
Registered
860 Posts
Well there ya go then. Just be patient and find that deal. I had a cut and balanced crank in my R6 and not sure if I would do it again. Yes it spun up faster but it definitely lost some torque. I'm not sure how much it would affect a 1k one way or another though.

·
^^No Bike Bum^^
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
not sure about the torque deal... maybe someone on here might chime in that has done it..

·
^^No Bike Bum^^
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had APE shave 6lbs from my 04 crank and it sucked. As the other guy stated, I lost my flywheel. In my opinion there is nothing to be gained by it.
thanks, i may just save the $$ and skip that step

·
Registered
860 Posts
Yeah it helps the road race guys flip them side to side easier. The whole gyroscopic mass or something or other. Drag racing I would think you would benefit more from the torque than the quicker revving.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
thanks, i may just save the $$ and skip that step
This what we decided with Garth to do also, on my 1051 build.
By lightening your crank it seems that you do loose some torque, so i left it.
Better to spend that money on small stuff (manual cam tensioner, new oil pump, bearings etc).

And i am using 04 tb's with 06 injectors and intake boots to fit my 06 head.
Mounting should be ok.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts