Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

motor revving by itself,help

8K views 45 replies 27 participants last post by  Avi_Toutar_08_zx10r 
#1 ·
my 06 is doing something really wierd and i cant figure it out. the motor will rev up without me twisting the throttle. it doesnt happen all the time but it does happen both sitting on the sidestand at idle as well as while being ridden. i first noticed it several weeks ago , when banging a downshift and setting up for a curve, i was expecting some engine breaking, but there was none, it felt like i was still in the throttle. it wasnt until this happened a couple times that i realized that the motor was reving by itself. cables are adjusted properly and are not sticking at all. when this mysterious revving happens i can force the throttle tube hard in the forward direction and the revs will momentarily come back down, but when i take pressure off they go back up. it almost seems like the computer is telling the motor to do this as if it was the first start of the day(almost like choke). what can i check? what does this sound like? throttle pos sensor? any input would be greatly appreciated, missed trackday last weekend cause i couldnt figure this out.:dontknow:

#2 ·
Check your throttle cables on the left of your steering stem. I have an '06 as well and unfortunately there's big 'ol crimp in them because of a pretty serious angle they have to get under the fairing and if they're not routed correctly they'll pinch your cables. It happened to me...so I know. Check them out, make sure they're not pinching or not routed correctly. Mess with them and turn your bars from left to right and pull your throttle to make sure it doesn't bind up. Once I fixed mine it's neved given me problems since.

#9 ·
done that too, set at about 1150 rpm, this is an intermittent problem that has gotten more frequent. when it is not happening the idle is dead nuts. im wondering if some sensor is going bad, getting progressively worse. just dont know which one it could be.

#10 ·
Seems that you definitely have a problem in the throttle bodies. You might have an air entrance below the lower butterflies causing the engine to rev up. You have to have a close look at everything around, looking for something loose or a cut air hose or something.
If the secondaries servo motor would be bad you´ll probably get an FI code. This one executes the fast idle via a linkage to the lower (main) butterflies shaft during cold operation.
I insist to take a look at the temperature at the very moment that the problem occurs. The temp sensor might have an intermitent failure.

#13 ·
no, that was one of the first things i checked... was the grip dragging on the bar end or the kill switch housing... its all free. i tried to be thorough before asking for help, but i know there is something im forgetting. it doesnt seem like anything mechanical, but i definitely could be missing something.

#16 ·
I think it might be the solar yellow color man, I've heard of this before with those. Green never has that problem. Just kidding man, The cables would have been my only guess. Let it idle and turn your handle bars full left and full right, see if the idle speed changes.

#21 ·
:+1:
Happens when you have the bars turned full left.

#18 ·
how many miles? you might have to get the carbs synchronized. have a dealer take a look at it. thats my .02

#20 ·
Looks like the primary butterflies are sticking open for somewhat reason. I suggest to go one step further and pull the TB out and get a better look at them.
There´re two little holes in the frame spars at the TB level, one at each side. Loose the allen bolts behind the hole and the TB will be ready to be taken appart.
Keep on trying and don´t give up. This is the way we all sort things out on our beauties

#24 · (Edited)
I had almost EXACT same problem, but i had neon lights wired to my windscreen and had wires behind the frame. I finally admitted defeat and went to stealership and they said the wires behind the frame(on left side sitting down) were caught in the throttle cable. Apparently behind the frame is another mechanism like your brake lever, and after a YEAR of having the lights- the wire finally got stuck in that mechanism and forced to to rev, by not leting it "reset". I don't know what you have wired up or if anything else could've gotten behind there, but you might want to take a peek!!

check out link:
http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=59652

#25 ·
the only things wired on this bike are gipro and pc3 , which are not in anyway interfering with the throttle cables. i finally broke down and took it to my locals... and believe it or not, even after confering with the kaw techs they still havent deduced the problem. we even switched out ecu s and that had no effect. the kaw techs suggested switching the ecu relay which i amnot going to be charged for if it does not fix the problem. im just glad this problem has the "REAL" mechanics just as bewildered as i am! let u know........

#26 ·
Ok guys Im having a similar issue with my bike, when i turn it on the bike idles fine and warms up fine. When I give it gas the throttle returns just fine except my rpm's keep jumping up, then i got to force the throttle forward and hold it to keep it from reeving up by itself the first time this happened was in traffic and it was a scary situation. Anyone had this happened and what did you do to solve this issue????

#28 ·
check the secondary linkage on the left side of the throttle body for binding. make sure the pin the assy rides on isnt bent and causing the secondarys to bind up and stick open. If you push the throttle closed at the grip and the butterflys move its sticking.

#32 ·
It has to be the thottle plates sticking open. If the ecu or power commander had some problem, all it would do is make the bike run richer. It couldn't rev unless it got air. The only thing that lets it get air are the throttle plates. Nothing controls the throttle plates except your right hand. Something has to be interfereing with the grip, cables, or linkage. Remove the two piece metal cover where the cables attach at the grip and work both cables by hand. Then follow the cables back to the other end. Theyve got to be hanging on something or something is interfereing with them. The fuel added at start up will only increase the idle to a point. If it kept adding fuel, the bike would flood, it could never rev just from adding fuel unless you happened to drive through a pocket of air that had more oxygen in it at the same time.

#33 ·
Although i agree with most of what u say, u are not totally correct. The grip, cable and all mechanical linkages were where i began my journey... none of which were the culprits, nor was anything sticking (mechanically) on the throttle body. If u just stop and consider for a moment that we are speaking of a fuel injected bike and not carbs with mechanical choke, it is obvious that other apparati need be considered in this equation: for example, but not limited to,main throttle sensor,sub throttle sensor , subthrottle actuator etc. Just as the sensors, via the ecu and relays, control the idle when the bike is cold, it stands to reason that a false signal wether generated by bad sensor, faulty wiring, or other anomoly could cause the motor to rev without said " right hand". this was the case. thru tedious process of elimination i came to either the wiring harness or the throttle body since u cannot change the actuator or sensors... i had acquired both a harness and throttle body at the same time, and though curiosity pushed me to swap them out 1 at a time to get the final answer to the riddle, my inpatience with the entire ordeal caused me to swap them at the same time. that being said i have had that bike on the track(only) for the past 2 years and the problem hasnt returned.

#34 ·
rpm

the problem ur describing makes a air leak a strong possibility as sextafondoo stated. pull those tb's, inspect and tighten manifolds at head, ck. all lines and tb alignment in manifolds when reinstalling. air leaking below throttle flies will do exactly what u stated.

#35 · (Edited)
Man whatever it is be carefull. If that thing goes wide open throttle by itself, it could be very bad. Like coming up to a red light. Remember too, BACK BRAKE. The front wheel might not be on the ground. Let us know what it was when you get it figured out.

EDIT: OOOPS Sorry. I'm a dumbass. I didn't realize this thread was over 2 years old.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.