Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 06 is doing something really wierd and i cant figure it out. the motor will rev up without me twisting the throttle. it doesnt happen all the time but it does happen both sitting on the sidestand at idle as well as while being ridden. i first noticed it several weeks ago , when banging a downshift and setting up for a curve, i was expecting some engine breaking, but there was none, it felt like i was still in the throttle. it wasnt until this happened a couple times that i realized that the motor was reving by itself. cables are adjusted properly and are not sticking at all. when this mysterious revving happens i can force the throttle tube hard in the forward direction and the revs will momentarily come back down, but when i take pressure off they go back up. it almost seems like the computer is telling the motor to do this as if it was the first start of the day(almost like choke). what can i check? what does this sound like? throttle pos sensor? any input would be greatly appreciated, missed trackday last weekend cause i couldnt figure this out.:dontknow:

·
Registered
724 Posts
my 06 is doing something really wierd and i cant figure it out. the motor will rev up without me twisting the throttle. it doesnt happen all the time but it does happen both sitting on the sidestand at idle as well as while being ridden. i first noticed it several weeks ago , when banging a downshift and setting up for a curve, i was expecting some engine breaking, but there was none, it felt like i was still in the throttle. it wasnt until this happened a couple times that i realized that the motor was reving by itself. cables are adjusted properly and are not sticking at all. when this mysterious revving happens i can force the throttle tube hard in the forward direction and the revs will momentarily come back down, but when i take pressure off they go back up. it almost seems like the computer is telling the motor to do this as if it was the first start of the day(almost like choke). what can i check? what does this sound like? throttle pos sensor? any input would be greatly appreciated, missed trackday last weekend cause i couldnt figure this out.:dontknow:
Check your throttle cables on the left of your steering stem. I have an '06 as well and unfortunately there's big 'ol crimp in them because of a pretty serious angle they have to get under the fairing and if they're not routed correctly they'll pinch your cables. It happened to me...so I know. Check them out, make sure they're not pinching or not routed correctly. Mess with them and turn your bars from left to right and pull your throttle to make sure it doesn't bind up. Once I fixed mine it's neved given me problems since.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Check your throttle cables on the left of your steering stem. I have an '06 as well and unfortunately there's big 'ol crimp in them because of a pretty serious angle they have to get under the fairing and if they're not routed correctly they'll pinch your cables. It happened to me...so I know. Check them out, make sure they're not pinching or not routed correctly. Mess with them and turn your bars from left to right and pull your throttle to make sure it doesn't bind up. Once I fixed mine it's neved given me problems since.
been thru the cables several times, they are routed right , adjusted right, and lubricated. the cables are def not binding.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You idle might be off check it.. If you dont know how take it to the dealer
done that too, set at about 1150 rpm, this is an intermittent problem that has gotten more frequent. when it is not happening the idle is dead nuts. im wondering if some sensor is going bad, getting progressively worse. just dont know which one it could be.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Seems that you definitely have a problem in the throttle bodies. You might have an air entrance below the lower butterflies causing the engine to rev up. You have to have a close look at everything around, looking for something loose or a cut air hose or something.
If the secondaries servo motor would be bad you´ll probably get an FI code. This one executes the fast idle via a linkage to the lower (main) butterflies shaft during cold operation.
I insist to take a look at the temperature at the very moment that the problem occurs. The temp sensor might have an intermitent failure.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Seems that you definitely have a problem in the throttle bodies. You might have an air entrance below the lower butterflies causing the engine to rev up. You have to have a close look at everything around, looking for something loose or a cut air hose or something.
If the secondaries servo motor would be bad you´ll probably get an FI code. This one executes the fast idle via a linkage to the lower (main) butterflies shaft during cold operation.
I insist to take a look at the temperature at the very moment that the problem occurs. The temp sensor might have an intermitent failure.
i will watch for the temps the next time it happens. if i dont see anything obvious at the throttle bodies how would i detect an air entrance?

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Have you installed new grips on the gal?
no, that was one of the first things i checked... was the grip dragging on the bar end or the kill switch housing... its all free. i tried to be thorough before asking for help, but i know there is something im forgetting. it doesnt seem like anything mechanical, but i definitely could be missing something.

·
Registered
753 Posts
i will watch for the temps the next time it happens. if i dont see anything obvious at the throttle bodies how would i detect an air entrance?
You can detect an erratic air entrance (thus erratic vacuum) using a vacuum gauge. You can let it idle and touch a bit of everything around the throttlebodies and see what happens with the vacuum reading.
At this point is getting somewhat hard as the vacuum gauge is not a tool that most of us have in the garage.
I say grab a good flashlight and go on taking a close look at all the stuff around the TB.
With the engine off you can operate the secondaries by finger and inspect for anything loose or stuck there. Inspect for abnormal free plays.
You´ve to know that the TB in fact are 2 sets of 2 linked at the center by a spring and a screw. Take a look over there. You´ve to be very observant here.
Really wish you find the issue

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
You can detect an erratic air entrance (thus erratic vacuum) using a vacuum gauge. You can let it idle and touch a bit of everything around the throttlebodies and see what happens with the vacuum reading.
At this point is getting somewhat hard as the vacuum gauge is not a tool that most of us have in the garage.
I say grab a good flashlight and go on taking a close look at all the stuff around the TB.
With the engine off you can operate the secondaries by finger and inspect for anything loose or stuck there. Inspect for abnormal free plays.
You´ve to know that the TB in fact are 2 sets of 2 linked at the center by a spring and a screw. Take a look over there. You´ve to be very observant here.
This is very good advice, after that maybe look at sensors and connectors but I think you will find something in this area most likely.

bloo

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I think it might be the solar yellow color man, I've heard of this before with those. Green never has that problem. Just kidding man, The cables would have been my only guess. Let it idle and turn your handle bars full left and full right, see if the idle speed changes.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
alright homie, i rode again today, please excuse the time between rides because since i crashed this bike and boght the 08 thats what i ride on a dauily basis... but im really trying to get this problem sorted before im forced to take it to the shop(admitting defeat). I watched the temps today as i rode and when this shit happens there is no wierd stuff goin on with the temps.at one point today i felt it pulling so hard i pulled the clutch all the way in and the revs jumped up to 8k! ill force the throttle forward and it will come down but still go baqck up. the whole time i can blip the throttle and the cables are free. i camehome jerked the tank off and did the best inspection i could possibly do... no vacccum tubbes broken or loose, all wires look fine, the butterflies look in ordeer and engage when ignition is turned on. where to now?? i wanted to take this thing back to the gap thursday but im not any closer to figurin this shit out than when i started. any other suggestions??

·
Registered
403 Posts
how many miles? you might have to get the carbs synchronized. have a dealer take a look at it. thats my .02

·
Registered
753 Posts
Looks like the primary butterflies are sticking open for somewhat reason. I suggest to go one step further and pull the TB out and get a better look at them.
There´re two little holes in the frame spars at the TB level, one at each side. Loose the allen bolts behind the hole and the TB will be ready to be taken appart.
Keep on trying and don´t give up. This is the way we all sort things out on our beauties

1 - 20 of 45 Posts