Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would it be more economical or practice to buy a replacement motor off of fleebay?

What is the cost of having someone rebuild the motor?

My bike is a daily rider, I'm paying for my own college, and I've never been to the track. Cost and reliability would be my main concerns.

I've looked at rebuild kits online, they gasket kits. I don't see any that include bearings. What parts do I need for the rebuild of a motor (gaskets, bearings, head studs, etc.)?

Would it be wise to replace the head of the bike instead of attempting to reuse it?

·
Does not drive into smoke
2,156 Posts
I guess it all depends on what needs to be done with the engine. Used engines can be found for around $1000-$1500, depending on who's selling it, mileage, etc.

What happened to your engine?

·
Registered
445 Posts
I've been thinking about doing the rebuild thing myself. Mine throws out a small puff of smoke when I start accelerating out of a corner but isn't using any oil yet. I am interested to see what everyone has to say on this topic myself.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There's nothing wrong with my motor... yet.

Its working perfectly, no smoke and it pulls like a demon. However at 70,000 miles its been around the block and then some. There are very few of these motors with that millage, although that's attributed more towards people wrecking their bike or blowing up the motor at the track.

I don't think anyone really knows how far the motor can go. I believe the general consensus is that they should reach 100,000 miles with care and proper maintenance.

Its inevitable that the motor will need a rebuild, and the chances are that it will need it sooner then later, so I'd like to be armed with solid information before that happens.

·
Slow Poke
5,584 Posts
If you look around you may be able to get lucky and get a motor under a grand. I got one of a buddy that supposedly had 8k miles on it for 750 bucks. I put almost 40k miles on it and it ran like a champ. BUT its safer knowing that you have fresh parts in your motor rather than buying something on someone elses word. For bearings you won't know what you need until you get the motor apart and look at them. There are 3 different size bearings these motors come with.

·
Crash Test Dummy
820 Posts
If you look around you may be able to get lucky and get a motor under a grand. I got one of a buddy that supposedly had 8k miles on it for 750 bucks. I put almost 40k miles on it and it ran like a champ. BUT its safer knowing that you have fresh parts in your motor rather than buying something on someone elses word. For bearings you won't know what you need until you get the motor apart and look at them. There are 3 different size bearings these motors come with.
:+1: I would rebuild
I also would not purchase a used motor unless I had the opportunity to check it out myself, with that said I have purchased offline before (desperate buy) and motor was flawless.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Also depends on if your doing the labor of rebuild or somebody else..If someone else then it will be cheaper to buy a used motor i'd think..

IF you've never done it then, its tedious work..from ordering the correct bearings/parts to shimming valves to degree-ing the cams. Internal TQ values are very important as well..

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would like to rebuild the motor myself. While I've never done a motor rebuild, I have serviced my own valves several times, and replaced a head gasket once. I'm confident that if I took my time and had plenty of research available, I could accomplish the task.

I'm still evaluating the cost vs benefit of rebuilding the motor myself. The benefit would be having a 0 mile motor. Then again, it might be worth spending the money to just by a motor off of fleebay, throw it into the bike over the weekend and be done with worrying about it.

So in order for it to be worth rebuilding, I need to really know what I'm getting into. Aside from gaskets, what really needs to be done to the motor?

-Gaskets
-Piston rings
-Rehone the cylinders??? Is this possible, or must the cylinders be bored over??
-Crank bearings and rod bearings??? Should they automatically be replaced, or should they be examined and replace the worn ones?
-Water pump bearings??? Probably not, never heard of one failing on this motor
-Oil Pump??? Probably not, never heard of one needing replacement
-Machine the head???
-Replace the head??? I've read the service manual for replacing valve guides, sounds like I need an oil bath heater... does harbor freight carry one of those (LOL)
-Cam shafts??? I've measured them with a micrometer, they have a bit of wear on them and seem to be half way through their service life, I could just keep using them and replace them on one of my valve jobs

Any thoughts on the things I've listed? Any other considerations?

While I want to do this right, if its going to cost more then $1500 to rebuild the motor, then replacing the motor with a used one will seem much more attractive to me.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
If there isn't anything wrong with it and you take reasonbly good care of it then find something else to dwell on. The motor will keep on going. I doubt you'll hurt it on the street.

Motorcycle engines in street bikes don't normally die due to wearing out. The bikes are crashed, abused or abandoned long before a motor problem.

·
Registered
109 Posts
my friend just had his 04/05 engine rebuilt and it cost him $1400 for parts and labor, it was done by a guy who is a service manager at a local bike shop who does some side jobs, we had a test and tune at the track a few weeks ago and it runs nice, I would rather spend the money and have mine rebuilt and know I have a fresh engine than spend about the same on a used engine that could take a shit on me at any time, Steve

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If there isn't anything wrong with it and you take reasonbly good care of it then find something else to dwell on. The motor will keep on going. I doubt you'll hurt it on the street.

Motorcycle engines in street bikes don't normally die due to wearing out. The bikes are crashed, abused or abandoned long before a motor problem.
"Find something else to dwell on" I appreciate that, she runs amazingly good for her millage and I baby her. Still, I'd like to be armed with some solid knowledge on rebuilding the motor should that scenario ever come to pass.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
"Find something else to dwell on" I appreciate that, she runs amazingly good for her millage and I baby her. Still, I'd like to be armed with some solid knowledge on rebuilding the motor should that scenario ever come to pass.
Know that it's going to suck a big bowl of ass. :badteeth:

The last bike that I owned that needed a rebuild was my 87 CBR1000F (Hurricane to you old timers in here). It seized up and required boring the cylinders and replacing pistons. While in there I did everything else to freshen it up and it indeed did suck. I put 67k on it before selling it.

My truck needed a rebuild after a head gasket failure at 265k. Aside from the obvious, almost everything looked and measured like new. Bearings showed a little bit of wear on the rods. Everything was perfect-the pistons were still within spec, the cylinders were still perfectly round and I could see the cross hatch from the factory still. Original thermostat, water pump, oil pump, alternator, starter, timing chain-everything was golden. I replaced a bunch of it just because I was nervous and the truck was getting a full lobotomy but aside from a 20 dollar gasket that engine was golden. I've got well over 300k on it and it runs like a champ. That engine isn't run like a ZX of course, but it hasn't been pampered all of it's life. Just routine maintenance as called for by the factory.

The point is that you aren't going to hurt it. Downnload the shop manual from this site and study it if you like. Heck, price out some parts and call a machine shop for quotes just for grins. Then put on your helmet and go have some fun knowing there is no reason to get too excited about a rebuild yet. Feed the ZX tires and chains-she will be pleased.

·
Registered
700 Posts
It will almost always cost more to rebuild than to buy a used motor. But if it is rebuilt correctly(a lot of the time there not) you have a new motor v a unknown used one. It also depends on how it blew up. If the crank journals are shot then that is 1200 more dollars in parts. When i used to rebuild them for a living it ran from 2-4k the normal being $2500-2800. What a lot of shops call a rebuild is noting more than new rings and gaskets and maybe new bearings.

To rebuild one correctly you need to do a complete valve job, Including checking/re machining the valve seats, Replacing the valves if they are worn, Check the guides for wear, ect and resetting all the valve clearances. Also having the rods/crank magnafluxed. also replate the bore if they are worn. if the bore is perfect you can lightly hone them. Also most of the time i see spun rod bearings. So just the cost of a crank, rod and gaskets are close to 1800 in parts. Most of the time we put JE pistons or something along that line while were in there.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I'm also in the same boat, genie in my 04 went. Motor still runs and the damage wasnt too bad, but I found debris in the pan. At 28k a couple shops I talked to said it would be cheaper to buy a new motor at less miles and refresh that. The thought process is it would be less in parts to refresh.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Rebuild it! I just did my 07..once you do it, you will never need to use a shop again. Invest in the head tools OR send the head out to get done..have it milled and ported while its out. You won't regret it. Get the manual out and read the top end and transmission sections until you are comfortable. Gather the tools and begin, use assembly lube during reassembly . TAKE PICTURES AND CATALOGUE YOUR PARTS! DURING THE TEAR DOWN! I placed my parts in large ziplock bags and tagged them. I'm actually going to build a spare over the winter. Abide by the torque specs! Better to have an overhauled engine than a ??? From eBay. Just my .02

·
Registered
542 Posts
Best thing about a rebuild is you can use upgraded aftermarket parts. I recently replaced my 40k mile 06 with a 4k mile 04 head, changed out and degreed cams. I did note that even at 40k miles I could still see the cross hatching in the cylinder bores all the way down. I am gonna rebuild my motor myself using a genuine Kawasaki shop manual , Wiseco drop in pistons, upgrade the shift forks, and undercut 2nd gear. For fun's sake I am going to get the piston skirts and crowns coated also.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Rebuild it! I just did my 07..once you do it, you will never need to use a shop again. Invest in the head tools OR send the head out to get done..have it milled and ported while its out. You won't regret it. Get the manual out and read the top end and transmission sections until you are comfortable. Gather the tools and begin, use assembly lube during reassembly . TAKE PICTURES AND CATALOGUE YOUR PARTS! DURING THE TEAR DOWN! I placed my parts in large ziplock bags and tagged them. I'm actually going to build a spare over the winter. Abide by the torque specs! Better to have an overhauled engine than a ??? From eBay. Just my .02
Hi mate I’m just in the process of buying an 07 f been told engine has a knock but is still useable can I just ask roughly how much it was to re build yourself as that is exactly what I want to do
Cheers pal

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Really, that simple little question potentially has a long long answer, you will not know what needs replacing until the motor is stripped! The knocking noise could be anything from a lose header pipe out of tolerance clutch drive big end bearings with crank issues anything, but ask this question why is the motor with the knock being sold? If you were over here UK or Belgium, I could exchange your 06-07 motor for a fully refreshed 06-07 motor and give you a 3 month or 3000 mile warranty for £1000 The complexity of stripping inspecting refurbishing and replacing parts where needed on a ZX10R motor if you have never done one before should not be underestimated. The time it takes is often seriously underestimated, things you can't skip on like cam shaft run out, crank run out, valve guide wear, bearing tolerance, piston to wall tolerance, the list goes on the sheer amount of measuring usually takes a full 8 hour shift. All the above mentioned most home builders just don't bother with, but there is where the difference is at! It's a motorcycle a high power motorcycle the motor has to be 100% The time and cost especially with a knock in a engine really can't be guessed, my guess if you haven't done one before and your not going to cut corners it's a winter project. And then there is all the tools acute to engine building that will have to be purchased as you reach every stage, clutch holder, dial gauge micrometers vernier gauge, drop dial, bore gauge, V blocks, torque wrenches. Blood sweat and tears or a impact wrench with a 1000nm break away to pull the sprocket and clutch hub nuts Obviously we will all give help and advice if your going to do it, but think this through property before you start.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts