Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody used Redline? Just wanted to know what brand everybody is buying these days, Motol 300v is what I have been using.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
:+1: on the 300V

·
Registered
286 Posts
Redline racing synthetic 30wt. I am switching to a Redline racing 5wt to free up some extra power at the strip. I have used Redline for a little over a year now and keeps the engine nice and clean inside.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Which one?

Redline racing synthetic 30wt. I am switching to a Redline racing 5wt to free up some extra power at the strip. I have used Redline for a little over a year now and keeps the engine nice and clean inside.
Which weight should I use? I do more road riding then the drag strip, and how often do you change your oil? Where is the cheapest place to get it?

Thx!

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Many years ago I was a distributor for Redline oil. Primarily the racing oil. My race cars loved it and I could easily document an increase in perfromance after switching from Valvoline Racing oil to Redline racing oil. Redline may have changed their formulation since then (this was 20+ years ago) but the racing oil had to be shaken up before pouring it in the car or it would leave a whitish residue in the bottle. I always assumed that the residue was teflon. They never would say what it was. If it was teflon, I am not sure that teflon would be ideal for motorcycles with wet clutches. Other than that, Redline easily outperformed Valvoline Racing oil (mineral based) or any other full synthetic or semi-synthetic oil that was available at that time.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Which weight should I use? I do more road riding then the drag strip, and how often do you change your oil? Where is the cheapest place to get it?

Thx!
Probably 20 or maybe 10wt for road racing or street riding. The problem that you run into with some of the ultrathin oils is illustrated by the NOACK test that is a measure of how much of the oil evaporates off at extreme temperatures. Look at the big difference between the 5wt and the 2wt for instance on the link below. I would call or send an email to the tech department at Redline letting them know the specifics about what you are requiring from the oil and the type of racing you plan on doing. I got the 30 wt at summit racing. I fully changed the oil last year when I replaced the clutch and will be putting in the 5wt once I get my motor back together. I didn't really have alot of miles on it but, they were almost all at the strip over the course of about 6 months.
http://www.redlineoil.com/pdf/9.pdf

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
A Land Rover was driven with MOBIL 1 synthetic oil (engine, transmission, transferbox, and differentials) since 10,000 miles. This vehicle was driven on the 44,000-mile LONGITUDE Expedition WITHOUT changing the fluids, and after passing a 140-point inspection it was pronounced "Certified". All fluids were drained/replaced with fresh Mobil 1 following the expedition.

After seeing this I believe I will be using Mobile 1 in EVERYTHING.

http://www.mobil1.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Videos/TV.aspx

http://www.drivearoundtheworld.com/

http://www.drivearoundtheworld.com/vehicles/

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Motul here. Don't think it that great. But it free I change it every 2,000kms. If I had the choice it would definitely be Mobil 1, it all I used when I worked as a mechanic. That stuff is real good.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I have used Redline in the past. I've also used Mobil 1. I don't use the Redline anymore. After using it for about 1000 miles I pulled my oil pan. The screen on my pick-up tube was nearly plugged by what looked similar to Molly. I'd had the pan off before using this oil too so I know the screen was clear. The motor had but a few thousand miles on it anyway.

I now use Motul 300v.

Sport Rider Magazine did a write up on a bunch of Motorcycle Oils about a year ago. It was a very informative read. Ya, might want to go to there web page and look back to find that article.

And if you cannot find it PM me and I will look back thru my mags and find the issue for you.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Redline oil

I have used Redline in the past. I've also used Mobil 1. I don't use the Redline anymore. After using it for about 1000 miles I pulled my oil pan. The screen on my pick-up tube was nearly plugged by what looked similar to Molly. I'd had the pan off before using this oil too so I know the screen was clear. The motor had but a few thousand miles on it anyway.

I now use Motul 300v.

Sport Rider Magazine did a write up on a bunch of Motorcycle Oils about a year ago. It was a very informative read. Ya, might want to go to there web page and look back to find that article.

And if you cannot find it PM me and I will look back thru my mags and find the issue for you.

I have been told that you should not use Redline Oil until you have about 3-5000 miles on the motor.

·
Retired post whore
8,463 Posts
I use Repsol sintetico 10w-40 with factory Kawie filter. My bike has never skipped a beat.

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
all I've used is the kawi synthetic...great stuff! btw, its motul...

·
Registered
65 Posts
So a full sythetic is not bad on the clutch? I have heard that it can make some clutch's slip. I run a semi-synthetic in my GSXR but this time I put Kawi oil in the 10R

1 - 20 of 27 Posts