Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Administrator
6,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Following eight years of delivering world class motorcycle racing, the Red Bull Indianapolis Grand Prix will not be on the 2016 event schedule for the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. The award winning MotoGP event was first hosted at IMS in partnership with Dorna Sports in September of 2008. The cancellation of the race was a mutual decision by both parties.

“This outcome reflects the best interests of both the Indianapolis Motor Speedway and Dorna Sports,” said J. Douglas Boles, President of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. “We are proud of our efforts to increase attendance in recent years and successfully host a truly international sporting and cultural event. We’re also thankful to Dorna Sports for its strong support and partnership since 2008. However, the timing is right to pursue other opportunities that drive greater revenue for both the Speedway and our Central Indiana economy.”

In 2014, the Red Bull Indianapolis Grand Prix earned recognition from Dorna as the “Best Grand Prix” of the 2014 season, becoming the first North American race to earn this honor. The redesigned and improved IMS road course, as well as supporting events such as Motorcycles on Meridian helped secure this recognition.

However, following the removal of the Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca from the MogoGP schedule in 2014, the Red Bull Indianapolis Grand Prix became the only summer MotoGP event in North America for the last two seasons. This caused both financial and logistical challenges that no longer made the event viable for the foreseeable future. Ultimately, removing the Indianapolis race became key to Dorna’s efforts to expand both the number of events it hosts and the geographic diversity of its schedule.

“Bringing MotoGP to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway has been a tremendously rewarding experience,” said Dorna Sports Chief Executive Officer Carmelo Ezpeleta. “The historic track, professional staff and welcoming host community produced an annual event that was enjoyed by all. While both sides recognize it’s the right time to pause this relationship, the door is not closed on future collaborations together should current circumstances change.”

Fans who renewed tickets for 2016 following the 2015 race will receive full reimbursements. Ticket holders seeking additional information can call the IMS Ticket Office at 317-492-6700.

IMS is now exploring new racing events and concerts for 2016 and beyond. Central to next year’s schedule is the 100th running of the Indianapolis 500, an unrivaled celebration of sporting excellence, tradition and many years of compelling racing to come. It is also supported by longstanding events including the Crown Royal 400 at the Brickyard and recent additions such as the Angie’s List Grand Prix of Indianapolis and the Brickyard Vintage Racing Invitational.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,667 Posts
:sad: But the writing was on the wall. It won't be long before there's no American riders in the series and no races in this country.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts

Following eight years of delivering world class motorcycle racing, the Red Bull Indianapolis Grand Prix will not be on the 2016 event schedule for the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. The award winning MotoGP event was first hosted at IMS in partnership with Dorna Sports in September of 2008. The cancellation of the race was a mutual decision by both parties.

“This outcome reflects the best interests of both the Indianapolis Motor Speedway and Dorna Sports,” said J. Douglas Boles, President of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. “We are proud of our efforts to increase attendance in recent years and successfully host a truly international sporting and cultural event. We’re also thankful to Dorna Sports for its strong support and partnership since 2008. However, the timing is right to pursue other opportunities that drive greater revenue for both the Speedway and our Central Indiana economy.”

In 2014, the Red Bull Indianapolis Grand Prix earned recognition from Dorna as the “Best Grand Prix” of the 2014 season, becoming the first North American race to earn this honor. The redesigned and improved IMS road course, as well as supporting events such as Motorcycles on Meridian helped secure this recognition.

However, following the removal of the Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca from the MogoGP schedule in 2014, the Red Bull Indianapolis Grand Prix became the only summer MotoGP event in North America for the last two seasons. This caused both financial and logistical challenges that no longer made the event viable for the foreseeable future. Ultimately, removing the Indianapolis race became key to Dorna’s efforts to expand both the number of events it hosts and the geographic diversity of its schedule.

“Bringing MotoGP to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway has been a tremendously rewarding experience,” said Dorna Sports Chief Executive Officer Carmelo Ezpeleta. “The historic track, professional staff and welcoming host community produced an annual event that was enjoyed by all. While both sides recognize it’s the right time to pause this relationship, the door is not closed on future collaborations together should current circumstances change.”

Fans who renewed tickets for 2016 following the 2015 race will receive full reimbursements. Ticket holders seeking additional information can call the IMS Ticket Office at 317-492-6700.

IMS is now exploring new racing events and concerts for 2016 and beyond. Central to next year’s schedule is the 100th running of the Indianapolis 500, an unrivaled celebration of sporting excellence, tradition and many years of compelling racing to come. It is also supported by longstanding events including the Crown Royal 400 at the Brickyard and recent additions such as the Angie’s List Grand Prix of Indianapolis and the Brickyard Vintage Racing Invitational.
Diversity :angryfire:

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Heard this on the news this morning. Had a feeling this was our last year and for some reason I just had 0 interest in the event this year. Didn't even do moto's on meridian. Ive said for years that about the only good race here is the 500. Not surprised and only slightly bummed.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Sad news :( Those saying that MotoGP will stop coming to America are jumping the gun a little. I think...

COTA was designed from the ground up to support F1 and MotoGP events... The fact that Kevin Schwantz had a hand in developing/designing the course and now that they (COTA and Schwantz) have long since settled their past issues and Schwantz is working with/for them; MotoGP isn't entirely leaving the US at least anytime soon.

There were murmurs of this happening a year or two ago, when they were looking at adding Argentina and one other circuit to the schedule and that they'd have to cut one of the ones in America to make room. In countries like Spain and Italy where there is a huge racing following and higher quality racers hail from there, it makes sense to have multiple races there (Mugello/Misano and Catalunya/Aragon/Jerez, etc). In those racers home races, the country pretty much makes race day a national holiday and the turnout is HUGE.

Case in point; in 2014 the population of the US was 318.90M and the attendance at the Indy GP was 132,817. In 2014 the population of Spain was 46.77M and the attendance at the Jerez GP was 229,416. For the US and Spain that translates to 1 race attendance per 2401 citizens and 1 race attendance per 203 citizens respectively. If those numbers were adjusted for the land area of the country that may influence the numbers some. But the fact remains they still pull in nearly twice the amount of fans at their events compared to ours, which means more $$$ for FIM so yeah, if they are guaranteed an "easy pay day" why not return to the same country 2-3x a season. If you go to the US twice and after all the bills are paid you're only making at total profit of say 100 million dollars after both races, while you go to another country twice and after all the bills are paid you're making a profit of say 200 million after both races there, then it makes sense to cut on of the lower paying venues for the potential of having a higher pay day elsewhere. "Losing" out on a theoretical 50 million from a race US in hopes to make 100 million elsewhere makes sense to me.

TLDR: American fans suck, the overall state of the sport sucks here in the US, American riders suck, FIM can make more money elsewhere so it is a warranted move.

·
Judge Dredd Mod
9,188 Posts
Sad news :( Those saying that MotoGP will stop coming to America are jumping the gun a little. I think...

COTA was designed from the ground up to support F1 and MotoGP events... The fact that Kevin Schwantz had a hand in developing/designing the course and now that they (COTA and Schwantz) have long since settled their past issues and Schwantz is working with/for them; MotoGP isn't entirely leaving the US at least anytime soon.

There were murmurs of this happening a year or two ago, when they were looking at adding Argentina and one other circuit to the schedule and that they'd have to cut one of the ones in America to make room. In countries like Spain and Italy where there is a huge racing following and higher quality racers hail from there, it makes sense to have multiple races there (Mugello/Misano and Catalunya/Aragon/Jerez, etc). In those racers home races, the country pretty much makes race day a national holiday and the turnout is HUGE.

Case in point; in 2014 the population of the US was 318.90M and the attendance at the Indy GP was 132,817. In 2014 the population of Spain was 46.77M and the attendance at the Jerez GP was 229,416. For the US and Spain that translates to 1 race attendance per 2401 citizens and 1 race attendance per 203 citizens respectively. If those numbers were adjusted for the land area of the country that may influence the numbers some. But the fact remains they still pull in nearly twice the amount of fans at their events compared to ours, which means more $$$ for FIM so yeah, if they are guaranteed an "easy pay day" why not return to the same country 2-3x a season. If you go to the US twice and after all the bills are paid you're only making at total profit of say 100 million dollars after both races, while you go to another country twice and after all the bills are paid you're making a profit of say 200 million after both races there, then it makes sense to cut on of the lower paying venues for the potential of having a higher pay day elsewhere. "Losing" out on a theoretical 50 million from a race US in hopes to make 100 million elsewhere makes sense to me.

TLDR: American fans suck, the overall state of the sport sucks here in the US, American riders suck, FIM can make more money elsewhere so it is a warranted move.
I love COTA. It's a great track, been there for GP, F1, V8 supercars, etc. The fact that it's less than 20 minutes from my house is a major bonus.:grin2:

·
Chairman of the Board
16,020 Posts
Sucky, sucky but three races in a country where most people have no clue what moto gp even is, well thats unrealistic. Wouldnt surprise me if they drop Laguna in a few more years. I think COTA is here to stay for while and thats awesome since Im throwing a forum wide party at Honez house next year.
:grin2:

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
I love COTA. It's a great track, been there for GP, F1, V8 supercars, etc. The fact that it's less than 20 minutes from my house is a major bonus.:grin2:
Oh yeah, definitely wanted to hit that one this year, but wasn't able to. Looks like I will have to next spring though since Indy is done:) A friend of mine did a track day there last year with his 1098 and had a blast. I remember seeing the photos and videos he posted after each day cussing his name out with each photo/video haha. He is trying to convince me to go this year with him. Price was more than what we pay here for our local trackdays, but it's COTA haha, it's worth it. So I may do that this winter instead of my regular run out in AZ.

F1 next month has me wanting to go as well, but damn these adult responsibilities.

·
Judge Dredd Mod
9,188 Posts
Sucky, sucky but three races in a country where most people have no clue what moto gp even is, well thats unrealistic. Wouldnt surprise me if they drop Laguna in a few more years. I think COTA is here to stay for while and thats awesome since Im throwing a forum wide party at Honez house next year.
:grin2:
Whatcha waitin' for?!? :2bitchslap:

:thumbsup:

Bring your own sleeping bags, my bed is full!!!! :ayyy:!

·
Registered
797 Posts
IMO, Indy was an embarrassment of a race track for MotoGP. Aside from its legendary history in car racing, the track itself was lacking in quality, which MotoGP is entitled to. Many riders were very vocal about their dislike for the track and hardly anyone ever said anything positive. The artificial curbing on the exit to the front straight looked pathetic. Sure it would have been a good venue as a business-venture because of its potential capacity and external infrastructure to support large number of spectators but even that failed since attendance was not what the organizers had expected. So nice try and good riddance, I say. If was very unfortunate that Indy owners threw money at Dorna to keep the event for a few more years, which caused Laguna to be dropped. I know Laguna only supported the MotoGP class and was generally a major pain for the organizers but the track was loved by the riders and produced some outstanding racing. COTA is a logical choice but if anything is to change, I hope Laguna will return one day.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
@ Lanister. Ive written a few really nasty emails to IMS talking about how the only good race there is the 500 and the track simply cant support other types of vehicles - ive been to other races there. The facilities suck; no I don't like pissing in a trough like an animal, gimme a wall stall at least please, theres barely any food vending and the ones that do have food - its the MOST AWFUL food you've ever eaten (I know you can bring your own but not everyone wants that every time), even the vendors inside the track were starting to suck the last few years or so, inside it was very sparse vending and not much freebee stuff (outside the track there was ZERO vending), ive been hassled by parking attendants and the price of the ticket just doesn't = good racing. On top of that Rossi gave indy fans a cold shoulder every time I was there lol. They also hardly advertised any for the race, heck most people had to ask me when/if the race was in town because there was no marketing for it! Also Moto's on Meridian turned into a big ol Hardley fest every year anyway so fuckit! I could go on about the shitty facilities and racing ...but why? Its over now.

·
formerly GHOST RIDER
2,131 Posts
This year's attendance looks "empty" . Planning a road trip next year to COTA for our Moto GP fix.. I hope Moto GP comes back to Laguna Sega (wishful thinking) :crying:

·
formerly GHOST RIDER
2,131 Posts
Word on the street, Laguna administration might be moving into new hands in the not to distance future. The name "NASCAR" came up but I can't be sure. Hopefully, it will be a change for the better but locals don't think so.
NASCAR ? Bummer...... WSBK was starting to gain grounds too, crossing my fingers either way... hoping for the best..

·
Registered
374 Posts
Was at COTA this year and used to make annual visits to Laguna.

Both places are more than capable of hosting GP races, but as all businesses they're based on revue generation, and the owners of Motogp are free to set up shop as they see fit and they do.

It's too bad that most Americans 1st thought of motor racing is a lineup of American family sedans going round in circles.

Motorcycle racing is an acquired taste and its flavor is not on the menu for most Americans who can afford to hit up the venues.

So I consider myself unique. :)

You'd be surprised at the number of people in the U.S. who consider themselves racing enthusiasts who have never even heard of the Isle of Man TT.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts