Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Fenati got suspended from Team VR46 for the Austrian GP, by the team for "undesirable behavior". Now he has been let go completely from the team. This is one hell of a racer we are talking about.

Anyone hear anything about what Fenati actually did?

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,978 Posts
Fenati, third in the world championship, was sensationally suspended on the eve of last weekend's Austrian race for repeated, but undisclosed, misdemeanors - thought to involve heated arguments with team members.
Whilst nothing official has come out from Rossi or the team, rumours suggest that the the straw that broke the camels back was when Fenati was involved in an intense argument with Rossi’s right hand man and best friend Uccio Salucci. Without confirming that the case, ‘the Doctor’ did suggest temper issues we’re behind Fenati’s ultimate sacking.
“Sometimes Romano will flip out, the problem is that it keeps happening every three or four races. It’s like starting over each time, nothing ever changes,” he said.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
It does seem that the Europeans tend to be more impassioned about things. Freddie Spencer was quiet as a churchmouse and did his talking on the track. Schwantz, Rainey, Lawson, even KR were generally very civil and composed. It's a cultural thing. I also think that these hot-headed rivalries are not especially discouraged these days. Listening to those two announcers, it sounds like politics. If a rider has a hangnail or doesn't get pole position, he's "struggling". They're using typical inflammatory and divisive language meant to carve fans into teams. It's not as bad as soccer yet but I do wonder.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,978 Posts
It does seem that the Europeans tend to be more impassioned about things. Freddie Spencer was quiet as a churchmouse and did his talking on the track. Schwantz, Rainey, Lawson, even KR were generally very civil and composed. It's a cultural thing. I also think that these hot-headed rivalries are not especially discouraged these days. Listening to those two announcers, it sounds like politics. If a rider has a hangnail or doesn't get pole position, he's "struggling". They're using typical inflammatory and divisive language meant to carve fans into teams. It's not as bad as soccer yet but I do wonder.
Motorcycle racing is a business these days. You can't field a team without sponsors (even if you're Valentino Rossi). In order to get sponsors, you have to have a good overall team - one that has a positive image. It's not just about talent. It's about building a complete team that can present itself for the sponsors and further the team. Winning helps this image, but it's not everything. Having a good rider that you can invest in and help mold into that professional image is key.

Rossi has that image thing down to a tee. He's talented, motivated, personable, and loved by millions of people. He's THE face of MotoGP. It's very telling when someone like him has it all figured out and this 20-year old would-be racer comes in and gets let go from Rossi's team. I think Rossi sees this kid as a risk from an image standpoint. No doubt Fenati can win, but if there's constant in-fighting and no one likes him personally, then the image suffers. Sometimes it's best to sit down, shut up, and hang on for the ride. Fenati better figure that out quickly.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think Rossi sees this kid as a risk from an image standpoint. No doubt Fenati can win, but if there's constant in-fighting and no one likes him personally, then the image suffers. Sometimes it's best to sit down, shut up, and hang on for the ride. Fenati better figure that out quickly.
This is how I figured it. Didn't think they simply caught the kid burning a doobie or something. I mean, in the US, they might crucify you for it, but just glad that's not the case.

Seems like the team may have done the best thing professionally for the team. Just hate to see a young rider with such talent fall so hard. You live and learn I suppose.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Motorcycle racing is a business these days. You can't field a team without sponsors (even if you're Valentino Rossi). In order to get sponsors, you have to have a good overall team - one that has a positive image. It's not just about talent. It's about building a complete team that can present itself for the sponsors and further the team. Winning helps this image, but it's not everything. Having a good rider that you can invest in and help mold into that professional image is key.

Rossi has that image thing down to a tee. He's talented, motivated, personable, and loved by millions of people. He's THE face of MotoGP. It's very telling when someone like him has it all figured out and this 20-year old would-be racer comes in and gets let go from Rossi's team. I think Rossi sees this kid as a risk from an image standpoint. No doubt Fenati can win, but if there's constant in-fighting and no one likes him personally, then the image suffers. Sometimes it's best to sit down, shut up, and hang on for the ride. Fenati better figure that out quickly.
I could not agree more fervidly. I am very late to the VR46 party, having only begun watching MotoGP two years ago. But after watching Rossi ride and compete, and observing the very effective, decent, and shrewd way he comports himself on and off the racetrack, I think he exemplifies the professional racer in a way no one has done before in the modern era of motorcycle Grand Prix racing. He himself is the business.

Rossi's business model reminds me of Jack London; he was the highest-paid, most well-read writer in the world by the time he was 35 years old. He was a great writer, yes, but he also knew how to keep the fires stoked with the press and his readers, and he's the first writer known to have actually used the corporate business model to create himself as a "brand".

Rossi's "VR46" (which I have on a set of Dainese leathers) is his version of London's logo; he was known as "Wolf" and for good reason.

Attachments

·
The Pace
7,048 Posts
Just a guess but he might not like taking crap and so starts sockin a couple big mouths. Probably was set up for whatever reason that will be uncover for awhile. I flashed on Stoner different situation, maybe, but all stress and whatever.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts