Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I would say the obvious. But would like to get some opinions.

1. Crank Bearings
2. Rod Bearings
3. Timing Chain
4. Thrust Bearings??

I did a leak down test on this motor before planning on rebuilding it and don't plan on changing rings as leak down test was good.

What else would be important? I have no plans to replace any roller bearings at time unless there is some indication of wear.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
if tearing motor all the way down why not replace all parts that wear or bear loads

all seals gaskets so on

valves springs and such

cam chain as you call timing chain yes

cams probably ok

inspect crank

then you will have a new one and no worries

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Well I would say the obvious. But would like to get some opinions.

1. Crank Bearings
2. Rod Bearings
3. Timing Chain
4. Thrust Bearings??

I did a leak down test on this motor before planning on rebuilding it and don't plan on changing rings as leak down test was good.

What else would be important? I have no plans to replace any roller bearings at time unless there is some indication of wear.
Mileage and use play a very large part when creating a list.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
...if it has no mechanical issues, and the comp/leakdown is good, why rebuild it?

If you want peace of mind, pull it all the way apart and measure everything with the proper precision tools. At that point anything that NEEDS to be replaced can be identified addressed. If you want to blueprint (tolerance stack) you can do so at that time. If you go that route there are only a few things you have to replace as a "must": Gaskets and rod bolts.... the rest are either in spec or not.

·
Registered
53 Posts
...if it has no mechanical issues, and the comp/leakdown is good, why rebuild it?

If you want peace of mind, pull it all the way apart and measure everything with the proper precision tools. At that point anything that NEEDS to be replaced can be identified addressed. If you want to blueprint (tolerance stack) you can do so at that time. If you go that route there are only a few things you have to replace as a "must": Gaskets and rod bolts.... the rest are either in spec or not.
I agree. Uless you've noticed a degrade in performance or are just generally worried about the condition of the motor from abuse/racing/high mileage then why spend the money on a rebuild?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts