Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Changing your gearing will make it FEEL like you have more torque, but doesn't change the actual rating.

Power curve is always a trade off. For more torque, you need slower air movement which generally means smaller pipes and fuel runners, which reduce HP. Or you can add displacement. A big bore kit gets both.

The later gen ZXs are notorious for weak mid range torque, in exchange for peak power.

·
Registered
2016 Kawasaki ZX-10R KRT ABS Edition
683 Posts
Changing your gearing will make it FEEL like you have more torque, but doesn't change the actual rating.

Power curve is always a trade off. For more torque, you need slower air movement which generally means smaller pipes and fuel runners, which reduce HP. Or you can add displacement. A big bore kit gets both.

The later gen ZXs are notorious for weak mid range torque, in exchange for peak power.
Shhhhhhhhhh, we can't get too technical on this guy :lol:

·
Registered
770 Posts
A good ECU flash should give you both torque and horsepower over stock.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Some days I just have to say something.

More horsepower IS more torque, and vice versa. When an engine combination is close to it's design limit, you can move your torque peak around with cam/exhaust/intake timing. WHERE do you want to make more torque?

Second, gearing shorter DOES increase actual torque applied to the tire, the trade off being that it removes some potential top speed. It's WHY we have transmissions in the first place, and it's also why the lower gears accelerate much more quickly than the higher gears (more effective torque).

Want more torque everywhere? Gearing. Want more torque AND top speed? increase the design capability of the system. Easiest ways: nitrous, turbo, big-bore, more stroke, better fuels, higher static compression.... all assuming you re-tune to suit.

Want to move your torque around? Play around with cams and cam timing.... may even find some 'free' power in there if you do it right.

·
Registered
216 Posts
With the later model zx10 you can gain big torque by swapping the head pipe merge. Both Akro and Graves do this.

As for how the torque is applied to the rear wheel by sprocket size/gear ratio. It is possible to gain leverage on the rear wheel by installing a large rear sprocket however just changing the final drive ratio effects the ratio of time/speed in which peak torque is available.

I personally like tall gearing so I can spend more time at peak torque without shifting

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts