Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the dreaded loss of power in the upper rpm range due bad pump I believe. If I put my entire gen 1 fuel tank assembly with pump on my gen 2 it's runs great and pulls hard to redline.

I've tried 2 aftermarket pumps and 1 oem pump that I got from someone here that was supposed to be good but have the same issue.

Can anyone think of an issue with the fuel pump assembly or maybe fuel tank ground that could cause this issue? Theres not much too the tank... I was thinking about trying to put my gen 1 fuel pump in the gen 2 hanger and see what that does but thought I would check with you guys to maybe save me from tearing both tanks down and swapping parts. Kinda odd that 3 pumps in a row would be bad.

·
Registered
946 Posts
sounds like it's in the bike itself....dielectric greese the connections to the ECU and relay box. See if this changes the situation....

Or there is an issue with your motor and or injector rack....etc

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It runs perfect if I put my known good gen 1 tank on the bike though so that doesn't make sense. Just so were clear I'm just swapping tank assemblies, pump and all. Complete gen 1 tank on my troublesome gen 2 and it runs like a raped ape. It's gotta be the pump or something with the tank. I guess my next step will be either a new pump or swap just the pumps between the 2 bikes and see what happens. The 1st 2 pumps I tried were aftermarket CNT racing, the 3rd a used oem one. Each one of those acted alittle different but none of them worked like they should.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,548 Posts
My advice would be to get a brand new OEM pump. You have no idea of the condition of the aftermarket or used ones. They are suspect. The next thing is to make sure your vent lines are not clogged. As the fuel is pumped out of the tank, it has to be replaced with something - air. If the vents are clogged, you'll pull a vacuum in the tank and cause the fuel flow to slow down. In extreme cases of this, the tank will crush and deform.

http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/f23/gas-tank-implosion-2011-zx10r-229818.html

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My advice would be to get a brand new OEM pump. You have no idea of the condition of the aftermarket or used ones. They are suspect. The next thing is to make sure your vent lines are not clogged. As the fuel is pumped out of the tank, it has to be replaced with something - air. If the vents are clogged, you'll pull a vacuum in the tank and cause the fuel flow to slow down. In extreme cases of this, the tank will crush and deform.

http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/f23/gas-tank-implosion-2011-zx10r-229818.html
Are you talking about the internal vent lines of the tank? Any easy way to clean those? I know the vent hose is clear. Thanks for the advice, thats what I'm looking for!

I may still pull the known good pump out of gen 1 and put in gen 2 if I get bored lol. Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
if u changed pumps only to same gen 1 housing and results same as stated strong possibility your internal filter which would have been common to all pumps is stopped up. remove pump and try blowing thru the plastic assembly. they can be soaked and backflushed thru the outlet that holds the fuel pressure regulator. does'nt work everytime but worth a try. cant blow thru it easily, it's clogged and limiting flow and ur problem. had 2 busas like that this summer.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the tip man! I didnt know there was a filter in the housing too. I'll be tearing into it again soon.

·
Registered
946 Posts
The fat oring between pump assembly and tank? On mine it looks like it can only go one way. Thanks!
the oring can slip up past the metal nipple and look like it belongs in the plastic housing.....it can seal, but looses pressure and gives false symptoms.

If the oring is on the metal nipple, then all is right.

·
Registered
700 Posts
A couple things to check. in order

1. I have seen the plastic line get a crimp in it and when you lower the tank it will cut off fuel flow.
2. As stated fuel filter. It is a plastic sock at the bottom of the tank just make sure its clean.
3.check your fuel pressure it should be around 42-45 PSI. That will tell the whole story if the pressure is good you have other problems.
4. Fuel pressure regulator. Make sure it is seated in the housing and the o-ring is in good shape.
5. Check your kickstand switch it can cause the same symptoms you are describing.
6. Check your joint connector in the harness on the left side of the battery.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the oring can slip up past the metal nipple and look like it belongs in the plastic housing.....it can seal, but looses pressure and gives false symptoms.

If the oring is on the metal nipple, then all is right.
Oh yea that one. It's in the right spot. Thanks!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A couple things to check. in order

1. I have seen the plastic line get a crimp in it and when you lower the tank it will cut off fuel flow.
2. As stated fuel filter. It is a plastic sock at the bottom of the tank just make sure its clean.
3.check your fuel pressure it should be around 42-45 PSI. That will tell the whole story if the pressure is good you have other problems.
4. Fuel pressure regulator. Make sure it is seated in the housing and the o-ring is in good shape.
5. Check your kickstand switch it can cause the same symptoms you are describing.
6. Check your joint connector in the harness on the left side of the battery.
Good info too. I'll be getting back to it soon. I'll let you guys know what I find out. Thanks!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
if u changed pumps only to same gen 1 housing and results same as stated strong possibility your internal filter which would have been common to all pumps is stopped up. remove pump and try blowing thru the plastic assembly. they can be soaked and backflushed thru the outlet that holds the fuel pressure regulator. does'nt work everytime but worth a try. cant blow thru it easily, it's clogged and limiting flow and ur problem. had 2 busas like that this summer.
You the man! So I stripped/cleaned the gen 1 assembly again that I bought from stage 5 and back flushed the plastic fuel housing and bam! Shes pulling strong to redline again! Thanks for the advice! Wish I would of talked to you sooner.

Any tips on this one lol: (different bike) My gen 1 fuel pump doesn't always like to prime when hot. Never an issue when cold. It will usually prime if I bump the starter but will not by just turning key and switch on. So one bump of the starter it primes another bump and it starts.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts