Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008 ZX-10R and would like to get the steering damper modified.

Does anyone know where to send the stock steering damper to get modified to race specs? Or best way to fix the stock steering damper?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Below is Eric's contact info. at Ohlins USA.

Eric Knight
Service Manager
Motorcycle Division
Ohlins USA, Inc.
703-C Old Spartanburg Road
Hendersonville, NC. 28792

(828) 692-4525 Ext. 309 Direct
(828) 243-7751 Cell
(828) 692-0595 Fax
[email protected]

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
I did mine myself and you cannot tell the difference (with the exception that mine does not click) - total cost $5 for fork oil

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
where is Dan's Service and what does he do exactly to the steering damper?

·
Registered
540 Posts
I did mine myself and you cannot tell the difference (with the exception that mine does not click) - total cost $5 for fork oil
and if you replace the oil, can you notice the difference or is it better to just go buy a better one like GPR?

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
I re-built mine and used a hydraulic fluid/heavier oil then stock and when its all the way open its like nothing is there, but when its all the way closed its as stiff as wood..Same feel as any gpr or scotts

·
Registered
540 Posts
I re-built mine and used a hydraulic fluid/heavier oil then stock and when its all the way open its like nothing is there, but when its all the way closed its as stiff as wood..Same feel as any gpr or scotts
Is it pretty simple to do?

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
i know dan replaces the plunger and pin too making the whole set up correct instead of just uping the viscosity of the oil. but if the oil alone does the trick without messing anything up then that seems like a good mod.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Dan Kyle is a member here. Search for his threads....he goes into detail about what he does.

NOT TO SOUND LIKE AN ASS: Going this route will cost you $97....buying a GPR or Scotts will cost much much more. I've had this for over a year now and love it. It works great on the track and on the twisty back roads.

Try it before some other people convince you to use heavy motor oil or buy a $4-500 damper. :wink:

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
I've not had an isse with mine street or track. Have yet to figure out what the "problem" is? When I want stiffer, two more clicks, want less, reverse it. :dontknow:

·
Registered
90 Posts
i took mine off today and did this. i used 15w fork oil. i had to work it back and forth for a while to get out the bubbles but it feels great now. much improved. thanks!

·
Registered
152 Posts
pull the needle fill the hole with solder and then sand it back to smooth. Fixes the problem and wont even need to change the oil.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Dan Kyle is a member here. Search for his threads....he goes into detail about what he does.

NOT TO SOUND LIKE AN ASS: Going this route will cost you $97....buying a GPR or Scotts will cost much much more. I've had this for over a year now and love it. It works great on the track and on the twisty back roads.

Try it before some other people convince you to use heavy motor oil or buy a $4-500 damper. :wink:
I've not had an isse with mine street or track. Have yet to figure out what the "problem" is? When I want stiffer, two more clicks, want less, reverse it. :dontknow:
I see both sides of this. I've never had a problem with headshake on my room-mate's 07 zx10, even considering the uneven pavement we ride on. However, on my 04 the scotts has made a HUGE difference. If I had a 2nd or 3rd gen and felt the need for a better damper I would send the stocker off to Dan Kyle. I contacted him through the forum - his website is kyleracing.com (I believe) - when I paid for my buddy's damper to get rebuilt as a wedding present.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts