Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm curious about this mod - how much difference this mod made for you (seat of the pants or dyno testimony even better). Some claim this was the best mod they ever did.

·
Registered
86 Posts
This is on my '08:
I cut out the cat's (there are 4 elements - 2 in each pipe before the merge) and rewelded the header back up (had it ceramic coated as well).
I haven't had it back on the dyno since it was tuned last but here are my observations:
I definitely had to tweak the mapping: I ran a half gal of 110 with 2 gal of 93 to get a baseline and it pulled liked it never had before (would run pretty fat with that mix previously). So, as the ratio of 110 to 93 lowered over the next couple of tanks I kept having to add fuel. Ended up adding almost 10% to the 80/100% throttle areas and 5-7% more fuel pretty much everywhere else in the map as well. So it definitely leaned it out...

The main reason I cut them out was heat: I didn't like the idea of the cats retaining heat especially since they are right under then oil pan. Cruising temps have dropped considerably and the time is takes for the temps to drop after sitting at a light has dropped as well. Some of this can probably be attributed to the ceramic coating though...

But for the hour a had invested and the $75 in coating it was definitely worth it. Hopefully I'll get her back on the dyno within the next couple of weeks.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I have a gen 2 and you can knock out the elements of the cat with a hammer and solid object. I haven't noticed a huge power gain, the exhaust sounds a little deeper and louder, and backfires LOUD on decel from the 2000-3000rpm range

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't know what gen you have but a straight-through slip-on with no baffles or cat makes virtually no diff in power on a gen 1 (a couple hp). So removing the just the cat won't have any effect either. See:

http://www.ivansperformanceproducts.com/zx10r.htm
I don't know why my own thread was resurrected - I asked if anyone had done this.

Well, I did it (completely gutted the sucker) and with all respect, you couldn't be more wrong. The cat gut was the best mod of all my Gen3 mods (listed below). Just dyno'd it today and acheived 173whp largely due to the cat gutting.

Two Brothers slip-on
Juice box fuel mgt
Cat completely gutted
Boom box bye-bye
Smog gone
Secondary flies gone
K&N filter
Healtech X-TRE
Renthal sprockets 16/43
Rifleman 1/5 throttle insert
Healtech speedohealer

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a gen 2 and you can knock out the elements of the cat with a hammer and solid object. I haven't noticed a huge power gain, the exhaust sounds a little deeper and louder, and backfires LOUD on decel from the 2000-3000rpm range
Mine was popping loud with the secondaries removed and had to add more fuel to get the air/fuel mix right.

Popping, per two brothers, can be a leak in your slip-on where air leaks into the heat of the exhaust. Mine was the air/fuel mix.

·
Certified SLOW
3,131 Posts
I gutted the cat on my first Gen 1. I really didn't notice any difference in the "seat of pants" dyno. My ears noticed a difference, especially the popping that started on deceleration after it was removed.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Well, I did it (completely gutted the sucker) and with all respect, you couldn't be more wrong. The cat gut was the best mod of all my Gen3 mods (listed below). Just dyno'd it today and acheived 173whp largely due to the cat gutting.
Did you have to cut it and weld it back together, or were you able to do it all without cutting?

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did you have to cut it and weld it back together, or were you able to do it all without cutting?
I had it done at the local shop by a guy who knows how to do ream it out completely - no torching. He showed me the before, and the hard white crap is all the way up the headers. It's apparently not easy to do and took him 3 hours. At $48 labor it's still much cheaper than full exhaust :)

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
I did it it doesn't make much difference...a gutted cat and a slip on doesn't make it like a full exhaust..what makes a full exhaust achive the power gains they do is the diameter of the headers

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did it it doesn't make much difference...a gutted cat and a slip on doesn't make it like a full exhaust..what makes a full exhaust achive the power gains they do is the diameter of the headers
Agree that full exhaust (due to header design 4 to 2 to 1) works best, but disagree that cat gutting won't make much difference. Just dyno'd the other day and it was a decent gain. I've got 173whp (SAE). Two broths slip-on, no boom box, cat gutted, secondaries removed, juice box, X-TRE, and filter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
what are the secondaries everyone speaks of.... also with the TRE mod, you all say that the ivans one causes you to lose your gear indicator.... I have an 06 I dont think I have a gear indicator? DO i?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Go to my post "loud in the curves." I have a dyno chart posted on the last paige of where I gutted mine and ran a side low exit exhaust with a BMC race filter and a PCIII.. See those gains and tell me it wont make a difference.. Especially to those guys that dump mad amounts of cash into engine mode and tell you that there's no way you're producing the HP you claim.. Hint: Which is why I posted my Dyno!! Choose for yourself my friend..

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
I don't know why my own thread was resurrected - I asked if anyone had done this.

Two Brothers slip-on
Juice box fuel mgt
Cat completely gutted
Boom box bye-bye
Smog gone
Secondary flies gone
K&N filter
Healtech X-TRE
Renthal sprockets 16/43
Rifleman 1/5 throttle insert
Healtech speedohealer
This guy gets it..