Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Just make sure on the back of the bottle where the info label is that it does not say 'Energy conserving' and you will be fine.

·
Custom Powder Coater
6,560 Posts

·
Banned
74 Posts
Which oil are you lookin' at. There is Mobil 1 0w40, Mobil 1 5w40 and some new stuff that I haven't seen yet Mobil 1 10w40 High Mileage. The 0w40 is pretty good oil with some moly just like the bike specific stuff. The 5w40 has no moly and is way down on zinc. I haven't seen an oil analysis on the 10w40 High Mileage yet. I've used the Mobil 1 15w50 (car stuff) car stuff in lots of bikes but the high viscosity caused clunky shifting when cold so I changed to the Mobil 1 MX4T 10w40 which I got from the local Autozone for $26.60 a case because the guy was overstocked.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I would not use an automobile oil in your high performance motorcycle engine. Although the automotive oil is good quality.....it is not designed for a wet clutch application (motorcycle). Cars only have to worry about lubricating the engine, while motorcycles also have to lubricate the clutch and transmission. Using an automoble oil can cause problems with your clutch because they contain friction modifiers....while a motorcycle specific oil does not contain any friction modifiers. So...the bottom line is that I would not use an automobile oil in my motorcyle......ever! Check out Amsoil for a top notch synthetic motorcycle oil at a reasonable price. More information can be found here http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/mcf.aspx

·
Registered
55 Posts
Dude.....I don't want to argue....but since you put it that way....here's some info directly from the Mobil website. :heyyou: http://www.mobil1.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Motorcycle_Oil_FAQs.aspx#FAQs3

So how is Mobil 1 for passenger cars different from Mobil 1 for motorcycles?

It's a little hard to generalize about the difference between Mobil 1 passenger-car motor oils and Mobil 1 motorcycle oils. That's because not all viscosities of Mobil 1 passenger-car oils have the same levels of zinc and phosphorus, and there are even greater differences among the three Mobil 1 motorcycle oils. In general, Mobil 1 motorcycle oils have:

Additive packages balanced differently for motorcycle engine and transmission operation. For passenger vehicles, fuel economy and emission system protection are higher priorities. These require low phosphorus systems and the use of friction modifiers.

What are the overall advantages of Mobil 1 motorcycle oils?

In addition to the overall benefits listed above – specifically, high-temperature stability and low volatility/low oil consumption – Mobil 1 synthetic motorcycle oils also offer superior anti-corrosion performance compared to conventional motor oil, which is important in many parts of the country where bikes may sit in garages for several months of the year.

Compared to conventional oils, Mobil 1 motorcycle oils provide superior wear and high-temperature protection, and promote engine cleanliness and lower oil consumption.

Once you get past these general advantages, you have to deal with each specific motorcycle oil one at a time to understand the benefits.

Okay. Let's start with Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40. What does it offer that Mobil 1 for cars does not?

Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 is designed for sport bikes. Most of these bikes have multi-cylinder/multi-valve engines and use a common sump, which means the engine oil lubricates the engine, transmission and wet clutch. So unlike Mobil 1 for cars, Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 has no friction modifiers, which could lead to clutch slippage.
The motorcycle oil also has more phosphorus/zinc for enhanced wear protection at high engine speeds and high loads.

In addition, Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 uses different dispersant/detergent technology for better high-temperature performance and engine cleanliness. Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 is also offered in a different viscosity grade than Mobil 1 for passenger cars. (Updated September 2006)

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
I just put in mobil 1 4t full sny motorcycle oil in my bike. I went from dino to sny to dino and back to sny. it hasn't done anything to my bike. the price for mobil 1 was good to. $8.00 a quart.

·
Banned
74 Posts
Who're you gonna believe, Exxon-Mobil who wants you to by their higher priced motorcycle specific oils or Butler Labs. Like I said, the 0w40 contains lower amounts of zinc and phosporous than the MX4T and about the same amount of moly. The 5w40 doesn't contain moly. The bigest difference between motorcyle oil and car oil is the work "motorcycle" on the bottle and of course . . . the price. All this BS about car oil makin' your clutch slip is just an old wives' tale probably generated by the oil industry or your local motorcycle shop.

According to lab analysis the Mobil 1 MX4T has about 80 ppm of moly. Is moly a friction modifier?

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Not all automobile oil has a lot of moly and some bike oils contain moly wet clutches have been around for a whole lot longer than motorcycle specific oil before I changed my oil this time I ran Castrol Synth. with no problems with clutch slippage. You can quote what you want from Mobil's page they of course want you to spend more on the motorcycle oil.
Just read some of the stuff on http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Whew, back to the lower price oil... This is like a chess match... Actually I've been running Mobil 1 for about a half year. No problems yet. I just wanted to know I wasn't doing damage to my bike. Thanks for the input guys...

Chad

·
Registered
919 Posts
Skel said:
Dude.....I don't want to argue....but since you put it that way....here's some info directly from the Mobil website. :heyyou: http://www.mobil1.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Motorcycle_Oil_FAQs.aspx#FAQs3

So how is Mobil 1 for passenger cars different from Mobil 1 for motorcycles?

It's a little hard to generalize about the difference between Mobil 1 passenger-car motor oils and Mobil 1 motorcycle oils. That's because not all viscosities of Mobil 1 passenger-car oils have the same levels of zinc and phosphorus, and there are even greater differences among the three Mobil 1 motorcycle oils. In general, Mobil 1 motorcycle oils have:

Additive packages balanced differently for motorcycle engine and transmission operation. For passenger vehicles, fuel economy and emission system protection are higher priorities. These require low phosphorus systems and the use of friction modifiers.

What are the overall advantages of Mobil 1 motorcycle oils?

In addition to the overall benefits listed above – specifically, high-temperature stability and low volatility/low oil consumption – Mobil 1 synthetic motorcycle oils also offer superior anti-corrosion performance compared to conventional motor oil, which is important in many parts of the country where bikes may sit in garages for several months of the year.

Compared to conventional oils, Mobil 1 motorcycle oils provide superior wear and high-temperature protection, and promote engine cleanliness and lower oil consumption.

Once you get past these general advantages, you have to deal with each specific motorcycle oil one at a time to understand the benefits.

Okay. Let's start with Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40. What does it offer that Mobil 1 for cars does not?

Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 is designed for sport bikes. Most of these bikes have multi-cylinder/multi-valve engines and use a common sump, which means the engine oil lubricates the engine, transmission and wet clutch. So unlike Mobil 1 for cars, Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 has no friction modifiers, which could lead to clutch slippage.
The motorcycle oil also has more phosphorus/zinc for enhanced wear protection at high engine speeds and high loads.

In addition, Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 uses different dispersant/detergent technology for better high-temperature performance and engine cleanliness. Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 is also offered in a different viscosity grade than Mobil 1 for passenger cars. (Updated September 2006)

That's pretty much an advertisement...

A voa will clear the confusion up real quick....Yes MX4t is a very stout oil but their synthetic car oils 10W40 and higher should be fine..

Actually SM rated car oils must pass standards much more strict than JASO.

You can't just say "no car oil because it's not clutch safe" for every car oil...

Basically just going by the fact that an oil is "motorcycle or car rated" will not tell you if an oil is actually better than another..You need a VOA.

Here's a very good article with some charts that will help clear it up.

http://dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=146867

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yeah, oil is always a touchy subject, and everyone seems to have an opinion. Bottom line is to do some research and decide for yourself. Although I will continue using motorcycle specific oils, I came across this interesting article that says using automobile oils in your motorcycle is okay as long as it is not "energy conserving" like SNEAKY mentioned. :dontknow:

Here's the link to that article http://www.gis.net/~manjo/motorcycle_motor_oil.htm

1 - 20 of 44 Posts