Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello people,

I`m new here, got a 2013 zx10r yesterday and its running poor, on acceleration it stumbles and misses at low revs, kinda pa.pa.pa.pa pa
pa paaaaaa sort of thing, almost like a rev limiter kicking in but still increasing revs if you get me... ragging it is ok though.. It had a full akrapovic on but no remap, so i put the cat back on and fitted the valve all back together.. (thought it might be just too lean and thats why), but it still does it. Its just like a cylinder dropping out really i guess, like when a lead or coil arcs.

Only done 3000 miles and cant find anything on the web thats similar other than the pcv firmware thread, which is useless as my bike doesnt have a Power commander so its not firmware.

I`m hoping its just recked a plug or something from running lean but i doubt it as its intermittent, worse when its hot... i think,

Any ideas?? desperate to get to the bottom of it..

Thank you!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No one? :(

Seems to do it more with tc on high.. I think.

·
The Pace
6,902 Posts
This is BRAND new g4? If not brand new request what else was done to bike. The full system not the problem but suspect whatever new connected to ecu. Give ALL history details. I'm not tech but we have tech guys here, but I do know the bike.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Might want to check the spark plugs and the air filter. Thats a good a place to start as any.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Few things i would do.

Turn off Traction Control, might be something going on with the sensors.

Make sure the fuel is new/correct (i once saw a guy top up his tank with Ultimate Diesel instead of Unleaded)

With only 3000 Miles on the clock no reason to suspect spark plugs or coil packs imo....

Hmm maybe lift the tank up and check the fuel lines and plugs around the airbox are all sweet.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi,

Thanks, been through three tanks of fuel from 3 suppliers, so not that. Nothing been into the ecu, neither plugged nor flashed. It's completely stock other than the slip on akrapovic now I put the cat/valve and cables back on and adjusted cables as per manual, won't make it miss like that I know I just want it as close to stock as poss till I find the issue.

I've ordered a set of plugs and I'll check the filter at the same time, just hoping there was something that might be common with these that someone could point me to.

While I wait for the plugs I'm gonna try switching between tc settings, cos it hasn't done it since I've had that on 1. Though may just be as I haven't used it long enough for it to happen yet, and it is intermittent.

It does seem to be very good on fuel though, may be a little too good, I have noticed that.. averaging about 46mpg.. that normal with average use?

·
Formerly "bms"
416 Posts
Hi,

Thanks, been through three tanks of fuel from 3 suppliers, so not that. Nothing been into the ecu, neither plugged nor flashed. It's completely stock other than the slip on akrapovic now I put the cat/valve and cables back on and adjusted cables as per manual, won't make it miss like that I know I just want it as close to stock as poss till I find the issue.

I've ordered a set of plugs and I'll check the filter at the same time, just hoping there was something that might be common with these that someone could point me to.

While I wait for the plugs I'm gonna try switching between tc settings, cos it hasn't done it since I've had that on 1. Though may just be as I haven't used it long enough for it to happen yet, and it is intermittent.

It does seem to be very good on fuel though, may be a little too good, I have noticed that.. averaging about 46mpg.. that normal with average use?
When putting your exhaust on did you turn your servo motor any? I know with my 08 CBR1000RR I got the servo motor backwards and it ran terrible.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When putting your exhaust on did you turn your servo motor any? I know with my 08 CBR1000RR I got the servo motor backwards and it ran terrible.
Na I checked the degrees and set cables, but anyway it was doing it on the way back from where I bought it from and it had the full system then.
I put the cat on just to see if it was running too lean with the full system and causing the misfire..

·
Registered
216 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
It seems there is no conclusive correct answer just guesses and presumptions, on that basis my friend if i were you Id just take it to a dealers and ask them to check it out and get it looked at properly and solved properly.

Least then youl be confident riding knowing its purring like a kitten again and no further damage can be caused.:wink:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
He mentioned that the bike does not have a PCV...

As for fuel consumption i am lucky to get 250km per tank. So that's ~35 mpg..... Its pretty common to pinch the fuel lines when putting the tank down.

I noticed you said it hasn't done it since you have TC on 1. Was it on 3 before? Because you pretty much can't accelerate hard on 3 even in the dry.
Yeah it hasn't done it since I've had it on 3 so ill do some testing on the weekend, as that may just be a false negative. I can't believe that's how it's supposed to be on 1 though (if it is that), it literally cuts out for a split second even on light to medium light acceleration on dry roads and hot tyres in a straight line...!

I'll test on all 3 settings and come back to let you know though.

I'll check the lines and the filter when I change the plugs too. Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It seems there is no conclusive correct answer just guesses and presumptions, on that basis my friend if i were you Id just take it to a dealers and ask them to check it out and get it looked at properly and solved properly.

Least then youl be confident riding knowing its purring like a kitten again and no further damage can be caused.:wink:
I'm a car tech myself, I know if I take it to the dealer it'll have someone scratch there head over it, tell me they've sussed it, charge me money I don't have, for it to do it on the way home. I've worked in enough garages to know I don't trust anyone to work on my stuff but me.

No reason I can't sort it myself just need the time to test it. Was really hoping someone could save me the hassle and say 'yeah it's this!'.. Ah well.
The good thing is the service manual has wiring diagrams and testing procedures which is useful. Wish cars came with that sort of info sometimes!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sussed it!

It's the TC cutting in!.. just took it out on lunch break and watched the needle going mad when I open the throttle.
Doesn't seem right to me lol, I guess setting one doesn't allow ANY slip whatsoever. Anyone else have a gen 4? Cuts in very soon!

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,542 Posts
Sussed it!

It's the TC cutting in!.. just took it out on lunch break and watched the needle going mad when I open the throttle.
Doesn't seem right to me lol, I guess setting one doesn't allow ANY slip whatsoever. Anyone else have a gen 4? Cuts in very soon!
I've been following this thread a bit but haven't chimed in because I really have no idea what the cause could be. But I highly doubt it's the TC system unless there's an issue with it. Especially on setting 1. That's the least restrictive and will allow some wheel spin and wheelies to happen before intervening.

There are 5 LCD bar segments along the bottom of the instrument cluster directly under the speed reading. If the TC system activates, these bar segments will show up depending on the level of intervention. If you're not seeing these bar segments come on and go off, then the TC system is not causing your issue

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've been following this thread a bit but haven't chimed in because I really have no idea what the cause could be. But I highly doubt it's the TC system unless there's an issue with it. Especially on setting 3. That's the least restrictive and will allow some wheel spin and wheelies to happen before intervening.

There are 5 LCD bar segments along the bottom of the instrument cluster directly under the speed reading. If the TC system activates, these bar segments will show up depending on the level of intervention. If you're not seeing these bar segments come on and go off, then the TC system is not causing your issue
Sorry, I meant level 3. It's fine on 1. And it is the TC, as I said, just been out and I can see the segments go up to full every time it does it.

So it's defo the tc cutting in. Weather that's a fault or not remains to be seen, might just be that it's designed for the wet and and not having too much throttle on when it's set to max.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Lol yes.

Just found this on here from an old thread.

Hi *********

FYI the dealer still hasn't cured my error code 39 problem but Kawi has agreed to start replacing all parts one at a time until it's fixed.
Also I had a couple of thoughts about the problem you are having. First, if the one cylinder was truly not getting any spark wouldn't that cause the plug to foul out and not spark again even when the current returns? Also, I noticed the last time I rode in the rain I forgot and when I parked I left my traction control on level 3. When I rode the next day on dry ground the bike felt like it was running on 3 cylinders and I too thought I had fouled a plug. As it turned out it was just the intrusion of the level 3 TC and once I went back to level 2 the bike ran strong again. I know you already replaced your ECU but could the gremlin somehow be related to the TC?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Guess it just ain't meant for dry roads.

/fini

1 - 20 of 23 Posts