Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Iv had millennium technologies +2 my gen3 bore with a nikasil coating & it looks like they fucked it up & I'm going to war has anybody else had similar problems with a Bad coating from them?

·
Registered
750 Posts
Yes I did back in 03. I put a 998 kit in my 2002 ZX9. I dropped off the cylinders to be
Nikasilled with the custom JE pistons. My mistake was assuming they measured piston to wall clearances after the Nik. They way overbored and plated cylinder and the piston slap was crazy after assembly. No refund at all and never an admittance that they made a mistake. US Chrome is the way to go! I'd never have MT do anything for me again.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The engine was assembled then broke in using motoman method on the dyno I changed the oil to a semi synthetic & mapped the bike but after only 2 hours of running the bores look worse than this with ruff patches which feel like bare aluminium. The bike was giving good HP with no apparent blow by.

·
Registered
946 Posts
when assembling, piston to cylinder is the first check,any builder should do, then if there is a problem there then it can be addressed with MT or whoever.......second is ring end gap, then that can be adjusted to suit application.

If these were never done in the beginning, then you don't have a valid starting point. What do the pistons look like?

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The only piston to cylinder check I have is with a feeler gauge I font have access to bore measuring equipment which the platers are supposed to do & on that topic all I got told was it passed Quality Control, I gapped the rings my self.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
If you ran it, I highly doubt they will do anything for you.

Couple tips for assembling top ends (I have done many and ruined a few)
FIRST, wash the machined parts in soap and water to remove any honing grit. The bores should wipe clean with a white cloth.
SECOND, measure piston to bore with calipers.
THIRD, LUBE bore and piston with engine oil.
FOURTH, set rings in bores using piston to square them, and check gap size
FIFTH, install rings onto piston, paying close attention to gap locations per directions
SIXTH, LUBE rings heavily in engine oil
LAST, Install piston assemblies into bores

Your pics look like scuffing from debris, or lack of lube causing debris. Run a straight hone down the bores lightly and see how they look (use lube). If you can still feel grooves you will need to replate. What do the piston skirts look like?

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
I had an issue with them and they told me they had no idea what happened....

The first time I put my motor together I did not clean the cylinder walls with ATF fluid but I used WD-40 the second time I built the motor I used WD-40 but then used Red ATF fluid and I got SOOOOO much more shit off the cylinder walls.

Cleaning the cylinders with ATF is VITAL!

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you ran it, I highly doubt they will do anything for you.

Couple tips for assembling top ends (I have done many and ruined a few)
FIRST, wash the machined parts in soap and water to remove any honing grit. The bores should wipe clean with a white cloth.
SECOND, measure piston to bore with calipers.
THIRD, LUBE bore and piston with engine oil.
FOURTH, set rings in bores using piston to square them, and check gap size
FIFTH, install rings onto piston, paying close attention to gap locations per directions
SIXTH, LUBE rings heavily in engine oil
LAST, Install piston assemblies into bores

Your pics look like scuffing from debris, or lack of lube causing debris. Run a straight hone down the bores lightly and see how they look (use lube). If you can still feel grooves you will need to replate. What do the piston skirts look like?
Thanks buddy but i did all of that except using calipers? Do you mean a vernier gauge?

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I had an issue with them and they told me they had no idea what happened....

The first time I put my motor together I did not clean the cylinder walls with ATF fluid but I used WD-40 the second time I built the motor I used WD-40 but then used Red ATF fluid and I got SOOOOO much more shit off the cylinder walls.

Cleaning the cylinders with ATF is VITAL!
ATF is a synthetic based fluid? Or am i wrong i used mineral oil for running in as a synthetic will glaze the cylinders before the rings have bedded in?

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
There was more crap that than normal that needed taping out which made me accuse them (they were also 3 weeks over due on turn around) of having a failed application & applying more than one coating which just isn't robust enough. I have not split the case yet so cannot comment on the pistons but they are noticeably loser than when first assembled.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
US Chrome is the only place I'll go to from now on.
MT did my zx9 cylinders last year and i put 100 miles on the engine before it ran into issues and i'm very meticulous about mechanical stuff and also have a degree in engineering with a minor in automotive engineering (in case anyone questioned my assembly procedure).
I have literally never heard anything good about them since I forked over the cash 2 years ago....
Sorry you didn't hear this sooner, but as mentioned, no way they'll do anything now that the crank has spun. Sorry man.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
US Chrome is the only place I'll go to from now on.
MT did my zx9 cylinders last year and i put 100 miles on the engine before it ran into issues and i'm very meticulous about mechanical stuff and also have a degree in engineering with a minor in automotive engineering (in case anyone questioned my assembly procedure).
I have literally never heard anything good about them since I forked over the cash 2 years ago....
Sorry you didn't hear this sooner, but as mentioned, no way they'll do anything now that the crank has spun. Sorry man.
Thanks man:angryfire: US Chrome are the people i should have realized when MT offered me such a good deal:headshake:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts