Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok...this is for you former and current military guys out there...

My daughter joined Army intelligence last August....recently stationed in Fort Huachuca, AZ....she broke her shin in the field a few months back and all they did for her is give her Advil....told her she'd have to go to Texas for a bone scan...she hasn't been able to walk or run for months...

So she has now been transferred to Ft. Hood and they examined her and put her in a cast...said she will need to get a military medical discharge as she is now disabled...and they said they had never seen anything so bad...

So I am looking for suggestions here....what should she be careful of...containment issues, etc...

Does she need to get a lawyer? If so, can anyone recmmend one?

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
Any reason to feel she isn't getting proper care?

Having been in the hospital at Hood and working in private hospitals for 6+ years, I'd feel safer germ/infection wise at Hood.

If she feels she isn't getting the proper care, consult a private doc. get a second opinion just like any other person would when concerned about a prognosis.

wish her luck and speedy recovery

·
Registered
127 Posts
Older Guy said:
Ok...this is for you former and current military guys out there...

My daughter joined Army intelligence last August....recently stationed in Fort Huachuca, AZ....she broke her shin in the field a few months back and all they did for her is give her Advil....told her she'd have to go to Texas for a bone scan...she hasn't been able to walk or run for months...

So she has now been transferred to Ft. Hood and they examined her and put her in a cast...said she will need to get a military medical discharge as she is now disabled...and they said they had never seen anything so bad...

So I am looking for suggestions here....what should she be careful of...containment issues, etc...

Does she need to get a lawyer? If so, can anyone recmmend one?
I’m shocked to hear this lack of medical attention. I was in the military and I got nothing but the best medical attention. Not knowing much about the situation I would have to say she slipping through the cracks and unfortunately this does happen but she needs to be proactive and use the chain of command to express her displeasure. The good thing about the military chain of command is that if you are not satisfied you can move up your complaint as long as you utilized your first and second superior officers. Someone will listen and see that proper medical attention is given…I assume the accident was documented?

The most important thing is for her to NOT sign off on anything if she is not 100% satisfied, as that is a kiss of death.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
When I broke my hip and was put out on a medical discharge the only thing they ever gave me for pain was 800 MG Motrin that is just there way they stay away from narcotics because they have had so many people get hooked on them in the past. It is not bad medical treatment pain will not affect the injury and it took me 3 yrs for them to find out mine was broke they just put me on profile told me not to run or stand for long periods sounds a little ruff but is the military way.

·
Registered
740 Posts
QED said:
I would have to say she slipping through the cracks and unfortunately this does happen but she needs to be proactive and use the chain of command to express her displeasure.

I assume the accident was documented?

I would say that as well, especially in today's military(quality of life issues and such)

One of the biggest things, is that she ensures "EVERYTHING" gets documented. If it doesn't then it never happened. By all means the patient even an active duty one has the right to go to another doctor, even civilian, if she feels that her complaints aren't being addressed properly.

Good luck as well.

·
Registered
6,354 Posts
QED said:
I’m shocked to hear this lack of medical attention. I was in the military and I got nothing but the best medical attention. Not knowing much about the situation I would have to say she slipping through the cracks and unfortunately this does happen but she needs to be proactive and use the chain of command to express her displeasure. The good thing about the military chain of command is that if you are not satisfied you can move up your complaint as long as you utilized your first and second superior officers. Someone will listen and see that proper medical attention is given…I assume the accident was documented?

The most important thing is for her to NOT sign off on anything if she is not 100% satisfied, as that is a kiss of death.

Good luck.
:+1: Also make sure everything is documented in her medical records. And she gets a copy of it upon discharge. Cuase the VA will go off her medical records and if it is not documented properly it will be harder for her to make a claim down the road if she has a problem.

·
Registered
5,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
miykl said:
Any reason to feel she isn't getting proper care?

Having been in the hospital at Hood and working in private hospitals for 6+ years, I'd feel safer germ/infection wise at Hood.

If she feels she isn't getting the proper care, consult a private doc. get a second opinion just like any other person would when concerned about a prognosis.

wish her luck and speedy recovery
She has had people DIE in her company due to lack of proper medical care (major containment issue there)...all the doctors are in the war zone and only quacks are remaining (she claims)...she asked several times to get proper care when she was at Fort Huachuca and all she got was excuses...

Now that she is at Ft. Hood, she is getting the proper care but they claim that her lack of care over the last 4 month has resulted in permanent damage...

I told her to document who said what at Ft. Hood...

·
Registered
740 Posts
Older Guy said:
She has had people DIE in her company due to lack of proper medical care (major containment issue there)...all the doctors are in the war zone and only quacks are remaining (she claims)...she asked several times to get proper care when she was at Fort Huachuca and all she got was excuses...

Now that she is at Ft. Hood, she is getting the proper care but they claim that her lack of care over the last 4 month has resulted in permanent damage...

I told her to document who said what at Ft. Hood...
She should have gone to Davis Monthan AFB in Tucson if she felt the care wasn't good enough. And I know hind sight is always 20/20 but we're here for you brother.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Make sure they dont screw her on the disabilty percentage. What I mean is my brother injured his back while on a traning excercise and was told he would only get 20% disability (of his pay he was making at the time) He got a lawyer and $10,000 later he got 100% disability and is getting a VA check every month. I dont know what lawyer he got but there are laywers that specialized in military disabilities. Normally they have offices close to military bases.

Since she is disabled she should get at least 80%. Make sure she makes copies of everything in her medical records because my brother says important documentation disappeared from his.

She will be in my prayers.

·
Registered
5,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They wouldn't let her go to Tucson...said only bone scan equipment available to the military was in Texas and they never let her go...

·
Registered
190 Posts
Older Guy said:
Does she need to get a lawyer?

Absolutely--and it looks like zx10x2 has pointed you in a good direction about where to look, or at least what to look for. Please forgive my frankness in regard to this terrible event, but you need to think about all aspects of the situation--her past (mis)treatment, her present remedies and options, and her future needs--and whomever you find to help you should also be focused on the whole picture. If conventional resources (yellow pages, online, etc.) don't prove helpful in finding a qualified attorney, try your state's bar association web page (these normally have referral services for specific types of practices) or perhaps (I can't vouch for the feasibility of this one--just an idea) look at veterans-related resources online for information on people who handle such cases. In fact, these latter two options might actually be the best place to start, in inverse order, to get more information on what kind of representation options are out there for this specific type of situation.

This sounds like a terrible series of events for you, your daughter, and your family. You have my sympathy, and my best wishes.

GD

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
I agree with zx10x2 as well for the lawyer as far as making sure she doesn't get screwed in the percentage pay. The government always likes to start with 20% but there are many members that get out of the military before retirement but finish their contract and duty with injuries that can get 20% no problem. So, if the military feels she is not fit for duty she should be way above 20%

As far as suing...I don't think that is a good idea..:headshake:...just think it won't work...the medical percentage is the best value at this time because those will be payments for life.

I also agree a 100% what QED said…use the chain of command and don’t sign anything:

Good luck.
Good luck to you OG, we are going through almost the same thing right now with my stepdaughter that has been at basic training for almost 5 months with multiple bone breaks and knee problems...she is so pissed at the care and they won't even give her convalescent leave. She was almost healed but they made her do work and exercise while healing and got new injuries at the Hospital :badteeth:...then just out of college lieutenant said it was because one leg was longer than the other not the exercises. :bs:

·
Registered
5,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Boy....a 21 year old DIED in my daughter's company because of lack of medical care...his leg was swollen up and they gave him Advil....later he had a blood clot dislodge and go to his heart...tried to give him mouth-to mouth but he didn't survive...everyone made it a hush-hush issue and everyone was crying at his funeral...

a 21 year old died due to poor medical care...

Sucks...

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
Older Guy said:
wasn't thinking about the docs being overseas.... plus my experience with Hood was Desert Storm era. ..been a few years, things change :sad:

hope it all works out ok

·
Registered
127 Posts
miykl said:
wasn't thinking about the docs being overseas.... plus my experience with Hood was Desert Storm era. ..been a few years, things change :sad:

hope it all works out ok
Been more than a couple of years for me as well but it does suck that the quality of health care has gone down hill for our men and woman serving our country, truly sad to hear!

Best of luck to her!

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
like already advised.....tell her not to sign anything without thoroughly going over it and try and get a copy of the entire medical record....i agree that she should easily get 80% or more disability....good luck..

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
She may not want to go for 100% disability because she may not be able to work another job if she does. Also I don't believe that she can sue the military. However she should definitly consult a lawyer and as others have said she needs to have her own copies of her records. The military will "lose" the important documentation.

·
Registered
214 Posts
The reason they're doing your daughter dirty is because she is undeployable, and with whats going on in the world. Is frankly, not an asset to the Army. It is not your daughters fault, but with so many people trying to get out of going to Irag of Afghan or going back. The preception of her is negative to the Army. She needs to ask for a consult to either a Air Force or Navy hospital. The military is required to at least semi-fix you, before they they medically discharge you. It is here right to submit a grievance, but she needs to go throught the right channels to be heard.
I wish you and your daughter luck...

·
Currently Clueless
1,516 Posts
Older Guy said:
Boy....a 21 year old DIED in my daughter's company because of lack of medical care...his leg was swollen up and they gave him Advil....later he had a blood clot dislodge and go to his heart...tried to give him mouth-to mouth but he didn't survive...everyone made it a hush-hush issue and everyone was crying at his funeral...

a 21 year old died due to poor medical care...

Sucks...
Sorry to say OG but welcome to the US Army, basically they will do as little as possible. I have so many horror stories about military doctors its not even right. Basically like all the guys said make sure everything is documented and make sure she copies her records before she gets out, sometimes things disappear out of medical records. Good Luck

1 - 20 of 22 Posts