Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
When I moved to SoCal from Norcal, I let the moving company the gov't got for me to move my bike along with my household goods, and everything was okay only thing you have to do is drain the gas, but also make sure you take lots of pics so if anything happens you can get paid for it.

·
Judge Dredd Mod
9,188 Posts
Used the military contract movers and wasn't there when they picked it up. Worst mistake I ever made. They did not secure it inside the crate and it fell over, bounced around and destroyed my beautiful pristine 1984 900 Ninja. Then when I finally saw it I had to go through hell getting the damage covered. Major PIA.

·
Certified SLOW
3,131 Posts
I let the USAF contacted moving company move my brand new 04 ZX10 back in... 2004. It got a bunch of little scratches all over it from them filling the crate with newspaper (it was black). Had to get some quotes and fill out paperwork, but I got reimbursed for it. It wasn't that big of a pain. The reimbursement was also for ALL new parts since none of the dealerships actually paint anything.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I know someone that moved it themselves and made bank.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
the only time i used the govt moving company was when i moved back from japan LOL! I do all my own moving! i dont trust $7.50 and hr

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
The bikes worry me the most...how sad is that? :mrgreen:
I had the gov't move EVERYTHING else except my bike and some extra clothes! So not sad at all. :lol: I've heard/seen too many horror stories to trust those guys. To give you an idea the truck driver hired two guys OFF THE STREET to help move boxes in from the truck to my new apartment! I can only guess what happens with my stuff once it leaves my sight!

Do yourself a favor, go buy yourself a cheap harbor freight trailer and tow it! I did that with my Honda Accord and I ended up pocketing about 1000 bucks!

·
Certified SLOW
3,131 Posts
I've got 2 bikes and I ain't towing for a 4 day drive. Partial DITY is lining up, using a motorcycle moving service.
When I got out I towed my El Camino behind a Penske truck (on trailer) and stuck all of my household stuff including my bike in the truck. That was from N. California to Texas, 1800 miles.

Don't tell Penske, but the floors are wooden and I bolted chocks down and hooks to hold the bikes. :badteeth:

·
Registered
140 Posts
Don't tell Penske, but the floors are wooden and I bolted chocks down and hooks to hold the bikes. :badteeth:
That is awesome.

Never dealt with it while enlisted but I'm commissioning in May and will have to go through this too. Gonna ride it down from MD to VA Beach for training but after that I'll come back to check this thread. :thumbsup:

Oh and OP, it's called a PPM now :badteeth:

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
I just cmae back from italy and well not choice on them moiving my 3 bikes, they had some minor issues but i was paid everything i claimed full replcament value and kept the old parts.
only thing they down graded was the the BEET exhaust can on my 636, which you cannot replace with a new one, but i was paid $500 for it. ut the new beet badge will cover the tiny marks.

took abotu 2 months to get things finalized but was paid 3 days after the settlement was made.
As for doing DITY moves, they dont pay shit compared to how much they use to be...have done all DITY moves in my 21 years of service.
will be doing another from Oregon to Missouri and will have a bike, but might be cheaper to ship in a pod.

·
Registered
139 Posts
my buddy moved himself ( to make the big Bucks) but he made a custom mount and a create to lock in the bike so that it could not move, and so that nothing could touch it. if you do a ditty move i would do the same to ensure that the bike makes it without harm!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts