Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
For me, pushing pretty hard on the street, @ 2k the rear was all but dead, @2.5k she had cords showing on the side. On the front, she was spent @3.5k, and at 4k she had worn through the outer tread carcass with cords showing on the side and zero tread visible, except in the center. I swapped the 218's out for 208's, and with the same riding style, @1kmi. I had worn exactly 1/2 the tread off the rear. Only reason I know this is i got a nail and had purchased the Road Hazard warranty from Cycle Gear, so they replaced the tire for 1/2 off retail. Nice!

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
By the same token, I had a buddies '04 R6 in the garage yesterday(I know I know, the 10R didn't talk to me for the rest of the day). He's a new rider with 2.5k mi on his stock 208's and they look absolutely Brand New, he's got more tread left after 2.5kmi than I do after 500mi. It's all in how much HP you ask the tire to put to the ground and how much lateral acceleration you ask it to deal with. I'll bet you a dollar he gets at least 6-7k mi. out of that rear tire, bastard! Can I get a Chen Chin in a 180????

·
Registered
5,042 Posts
gladding24 said:
For me, pushing pretty hard on the street, @ 2k the rear was all but dead, @2.5k she had cords showing on the side. On the front, she was spent @3.5k, and at 4k she had worn through the outer tread carcass with cords showing on the side and zero tread visible, except in the center. I swapped the 218's out for 208's, and with the same riding style, @1kmi. I had worn exactly 1/2 the tread off the rear. Only reason I know this is i got a nail and had purchased the Road Hazard warranty from Cycle Gear, so they replaced the tire for 1/2 off retail. Nice!
Did you do any track days on that set? I ride the hell out of my tires at least once a month for a full day on Palmoar and not to mention Ortega here and again. I have the tire peeling and greasing a bit after each outing, and I still got around 4k out of mine, but then I didnt put on any track days, so I'm just curious.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
No track time on the 10 yet, but I don't know if they use the same road surface down there as they do here. The guys around here call the blacktop "all weather pavement" or something like that. It's a pretty rough surface, not like the regular blacktop I'm used to. Lots of grip, but very coarse and abrasive. Hey Killer, what the hell so they call the surface on 180 going up to the Park, and on roads like Power House and Old Auberry???
I also have a pretty heavy right wrist, :-D

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Here's what mine and Killer's favorite road looks like(sorry for the size, but I wanted you to be able to see the road surface too:

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Part of the reason my tire life sux is beacuse I tend to 'steer' with the throttle a lot. I can't keep from mashing the throttle on exit and letting the back end walk out a little. Lots of fun, not good on the tread :-(. I used to be able to do it with the 7R and get away with it cause she only had about 100 HP to put down, now I'm trying to feed 150+- through the same contack patch and it doesn't hold up very well. The treadlife on my 208ZR's is going to suck, that I'm sure of, but I know the tires well, I know how they slide and just how much traction is available from them, I just wish I could get a few more miles out of them. Anyone have a suggestion?

·
Registered
5,042 Posts
gladding24 said:
Part of the reason my tire life sux is beacuse I tend to 'steer' with the throttle a lot. I can't keep from mashing the throttle on exit and letting the back end walk out a little. Lots of fun, not good on the tread :-(. I used to be able to do it with the 7R and get away with it cause she only had about 100 HP to put down, now I'm trying to feed 150+- through the same contack patch and it doesn't hold up very well. The treadlife on my 208ZR's is going to suck, that I'm sure of, but I know the tires well, I know how they slide and just how much traction is available from them, I just wish I could get a few more miles out of them. Anyone have a suggestion?
Ease off the throttle :lol: I have never heard of anyone killing tires as fast you gladding its impressive. Down south we dont have very much of that road surface. I have seen it and I know what your talking about, it looks like its made of concrete and smashed rocks:confused: Anywa just went for my last ride on the Dunlops when I got home my od read 5.2k but I have had a 16t front on with no speedo healer for the past 3k so actual mileage is probably around 4.5k. Have you thought about using a harder tire since your road surface is so much rougher. You could probable get away with using a less agressive tire :dontknow:

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
You know Franky, my head keeps telling my hand to back out of it, but then my assdyno/slideometer overrides and says "more throttle! More Throttle!" and my hand, naturally, complies with the demands of the slideometer, instead of the voice of reason in my head. I had thought about something a little harder in coumpound, so it wouldn't peel away so quickly, but then traction's going to suffer. I guess I could just slow down a little(yeah right). I was also thinking about the new Pilot Powers, but they're so soft, I don't know how they'll hold up either. :dontknow: . This is going to be an (even more) expensive hobby. Anybody got a tire that's as hard as concrete and has the grip of a 208GP?

·
Registered
5,042 Posts
The new pilot powers are supposed to be rated with a pretty high mileage life, due to the use of a diffrent type of silica in the tire, you might want to give them a shot. I was going to cross over to them, my local shop has a set, so next friday I'll be slapping some of them on =)

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Let me know how they hold up Frank...I'll be due for a set soon and if I don't hear something better I'll probably put the same tires on. The performance has been good enough for my riding style and you can't beat how long they have lasted.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Pongo, what are you wearing now, the powers or the 218's?

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
218's...i hit the canyons once a week but the majority of my ride is one long azz straight 120 miles a day on the I 15....If i went to something softer i will be changing tires before oil changes..

·
Registered
202 Posts
I changed to tires to Sport tec's before I took it off the show room floor. I don't play around with high mileage tires I ride way to hard for them. I'm not going to replace plastic parts because of crap tires. I am lucky to get more than 2300 miles out of most tires. Powers are the best I have used so far. With a good tire my friends that can keep up with me say that I leave a black line from my tire on every hard turn. They love it they can follow my line real easy. I will get it on vid and post it soon.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
did you get decent mileage out of the powers? Been thinging about trying them but wasn't sure of the life expectancy because of the soft compound.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
how many miles on them now?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts