Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone heading up? I'll be the confused looking guy with an 05 green 10R, green EZ up and green GMC 1500.

·
Registered
6,354 Posts
To bad I don't have leathers an my bikes 1100 miles away in Texas.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay - 1st trackday on the 10R and all I can say is:thumbsup:

Mid Ohio is completely repaved, asphalt is in perfect condition and only 3 things detracted from a great day:
1)Very 1st lap of the day (as in the out lap behind the control rider) some f**ktard on a GSXr drops is oil drain plug and sprays oil almost on the racing line for 2/3 of the track. I'm just thankful he missed nearly every apex! Of course, 3 more f**ktards didn't pay attention to - A) the debris flags being shown B) the control riders pointing to the oil on the track and C) ALL the control riders exiting to hot pit - and decided to crank it up. And they did, right into the ground in turn 2 where the oiling started. So, a 90 minute delay to the start of the day.
2)D218's suck (I know, but it's what I had)!
3)I need a real front master cylinder!

Other than that, great day! Mid O isn't really a fast track like say Willow Springs or Thunder Hill, but that back straight with the 'Kink' is a lot of fun. I was topping out in 5th before hitting my braking marker, so 164 or so with 16/39.

The rest of the track is 2nd gear, with a very brief dab at 3rd on the front straight. Pretty good exercise in throttle control!

Best part of the day? Slipper clutch! That is the coolest thing since sliced bread!

Oh yeah - I was the only 10R there, I didn't crash and I had a best lap in the low 1:52sec range. I'm happy and I can't wait to do it again!

·
I really need to get out of the house
11,176 Posts
Sounds like ya had fun. Couldn't agree more about the slipper clutch, I'm glad I've never had to do a trackday without one.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I'm not suprised at you being the only 10 there. I wonder what Kawi's sales have been like for the ZX10R in Ohio. I hardly ever see them anywhere, and as a matter of fact, I'm starting to think I'm the only one that owns one in Springfield. I kind of like it that way though, glad I don't have a Gixxer like everyone else around here.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
I would love to do Mid-O....But, Grattan only for me this year.....

·
Registered
197 Posts
Let us know how you like Gratton. From what I 've heard it a technical track, not really a horse power type track, but should be fun all the same.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'd say the same about Mid O really - only the back straight/kink lets you open it up. The rest of the lap is 2nd gear. Still a lot of fun, but I don't see how they hustle a 200+HP superbike around these tracks?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Sounds like you had fun, how nice was the track since they FINALLY repaved it? :thumbsup:
I'll check out the link, always wanted to ride mid-ohio

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I never had the chance to ride it before, so I only know it now. It was a bit greasy, not much rubber in the turns yet, but very nice. There are some ripples in the entrance to 13 and 1, plus there's a noticeable elevation change from outside to inside in turn 1, like the inside is missing a layer of asphalt.

All that being said - it was killer, billiard table smooth!

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
BDB10R said:
Let us know how you like Gratton. From what I 've heard it a technical track, not really a horse power type track, but should be fun all the same.
That is true...Very true....Grattan is very technical. It is loads of fun on the 10...I was there 3 times last summer and had a ball. I would like to try some different tracks, though. But, with just having twins, my time and money are usually otherwise accounted for!!!!!!

The saying goes, " If you can be fast at Grattan, you can be fast anywhere."

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Funny mach_man - my twins turned 3 in Dec and I am finally getting back to the track! It took that long for me to find money/time to do it!

·
Registered
154 Posts
I hear they also finally paved Nelson Ledges :rolleyes:

Encouraging to hear 'billiard table smooth' in reference to Mid-Ohio

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
MachWon said:
I hear they also finally paved Nelson Ledges :rolleyes:

Encouraging to hear 'billiard table smooth' in reference to Mid-Ohio
I'm looking forward to seeing all these tracks around here - there are so many within reasonable driving distance!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts