Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
yea! new work computer wooo oh wait we already have them but they are waiting to give them to us till the 26th.. lame

·
Team Green Baby!
1,518 Posts
Have it running on a couple of test machines, but also have a Dell XPS 12 and a Microsoft Slate preordered to test out. Also preorderred a iPad Mini to test with. Love my job sometimes. ...new toys... :mrgreen:
Lucky ass mofo :lol:

Is this a free upgrade? Or do I have to buy a OEM CD and load it?

I actually like Windows 7. No complaints here.
And to littlefreak's question: the upgrade offer is $15 but you have to buy a pc with Windows 7 between June 2012 and the end of Janurary 2013 in order to qualify for this promo. Then you have to register online at windowsupgradeoffer.com but it has to be done before the 28th of Feburary.

I'm looking forward to the 64bit version of the tablets. Those you can actually run real programs and not just apps.

·
Gone Ridin'
1,705 Posts
I have it on my wife's machine (who is NOT a tech person). Works really well for her.
My son installed it on his (much more tech geek) and he is quite happy with it. He did have to do a lot of (re)learning in figuring out how to dig into it.

I have not (yet) made the switch. I can say this much having 'supported' my wife's version...

Many things are more obvious for average users. Things that required digging under-the-covers at all are more of a PITA for experienced folk because it is well and truly hidden in most cases. That familiar dialog you used to know how to get to--you don't. Just adding a network printer took a trip to Google and 5 minutes longer than it should have.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Just did a clean install of Windows 8 64 . Really smooth so far and looks good. Just need to re-learn everything..Menu and shortcut. Yep totally different than Windows 7!

·
Supercharged Mod
4,391 Posts
What I have, works. Don't need or want to re-learn this. Won't be upgrading until this laptop conks out and I have no choice.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Man, Windows 8 is the gay version of 7. All the menu is tablet alike. Yep, Windows 8 is the butt muncher version of 7. No start menu, no search toolbar. WTF. Bill Gates is smoking some fucking good shit. Metro UI they call it! LOL That shit is designed for greasy tablet not for desktop! Stick with Win 7.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I fixed Windows 8 drawback with Start8 $4.99 10%off the price if you like them on Facebook. So I have the smooth and speed factor from Windows 8 with the menu style of 7. Winner! Had no problems of compatibility so far with all the installed software and drivers.

·
Registered
206 Posts
man, windows 8 is the gay version of 7. All the menu is tablet alike. Yep, windows 8 is the butt muncher version of 7. No start menu, no search toolbar. Wtf. Bill gates is smoking some fucking good shit. Metro ui they call it! Lol that shit is designed for greasy tablet not for desktop! Stick with win 7.
:+2:

·
Registered
188 Posts
I just bought a laptop with windows 7...........only after my last one died which had windows XP!!!!

It will be atleast another 4 years before I get a new windows!!:badteeth:

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
Man, Windows 8 is the gay version of 7. All the menu is tablet alike. Yep, Windows 8 is the butt muncher version of 7. No start menu, no search toolbar. WTF. Bill Gates is smoking some fucking good shit. Metro UI they call it! LOL That shit is designed for greasy tablet not for desktop! Stick with Win 7.
interfaces (monitors) are going touchscreen. It won't be long b4 you look at non touchscreen monitors like stone wheels. The devices we are testing on are all touchscreen. Even a 27" desktop version but mostly tablet and converatables. btw..you can turn off the win8 interface and get a win7 simular experience. That said, if you're happy with win7 there's nothing there to say you NEED an upgrade.

·
Judge Dredd Mod
9,188 Posts
Support for Win7 won't end for another 10 years so there's really no reason to upgrade. Win8 as said earlier has no Start menu, no true unified search, and no way to enable them easily. It's designed for touch so many computers nowadays won't benefit from it. Drivers for it are nonexistent in the aftermarket area, all are designed by MS or ported from Win7 and functionality is limited for a lot of devices that do the upgrade like Win7 was when it launched. I *still* don't have native drivers for some devices I use in WinXP, I have to either dual boot launch WinXP or run a XP VM inside Win7 to get them to work right. It may go down as another Win Millennium and Vista, but I don't know. I'll more than likely wait for Win9.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Support for Win7 won't end for another 10 years so there's really no reason to upgrade. Win8 as said earlier has no Start menu, no true unified search, and no way to enable them easily. It's designed for touch so many computers nowadays won't benefit from it. Drivers for it are nonexistent in the aftermarket area, all are designed by MS or ported from Win7 and functionality is limited for a lot of devices that do the upgrade like Win7 was when it launched. I *still* don't have native drivers for some devices I use in WinXP, I have to either dual boot launch WinXP or run a XP VM inside Win7 to get them to work right. It may go down as another Win Millennium and Vista, but I don't know. I'll more than likely wait for Win9.
I fixed the start menu problem last night with this: Startpro 8. Really awesome!
http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/ Really cheap as well..I have a real desktop with start menu and search tool.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I think you can use the Win7 style UI. You don't have to go with the gey Metro. I've heard rumor that some current apps will only work on the older UI anyway. I hate when they mess with that stuff. I even liked the old school (classic) Control Panel view. Long, Long gone never to return I bet. :)

·
Gone Ridin'
1,705 Posts
Just did a clean install of Windows 8 64 . Really smooth so far and looks good. Just need to re-learn everything..Menu and shortcut. Yep totally different than Windows 7!
Yea, the front-end largely is. Under the covers is almost identical. They did improve some of the kernel, better memory management and a few other odds-n-sods so it should perform a bit better on the same hardware.

Grr. Back to re-learning the front-end.

P.S. the 'upgrade' did not really work right on two different machines, ended up being clean installs.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts