Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone in Michigan know of some good winding roads to hit this weekend? I live in Jackson but will travel anywhere for a good ride. Also, looking for other riders in my area to bike with... I have a couple good friends I ride with but they are on ZX-6R's and gixxers. Just wondering :heyyou:

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
North territorial off of 23 out towards Pickney there are a few nice roads. I usually ride in between Frankenmuth and Vassar there is a nice loop there also. M-136 out of P. Huron toward m-19 is also a nice stretch.

·
Always On Mod
1,844 Posts
Not much considering other parts of the country...

Benn Rd in Parma has a couple 90's
Seymour Rd on the north side of 94 going E from Jackson to Chelsea is fun
Huron River Drive from Dexter to Ann Arbor if you don't mind dodging bicyclists, then head up Dexter-Pickney Rd, turn left at Darwin and go through Hell, turn left at Hadley Rd and go through Pickney state rec area down into Chelsea

·
Registered
7 Posts
Try northeast of Kalamazoo County and around Gun Lake. Not too bad, there actually quite a few of those squiggly turn signs:thumbsup:

·
Registered
663 Posts
We used to go riding out near Dexter (and Hell too)...some great roads there but you do have to watch out for the gravel in some corners....some vindictive residents have been known to throw gravel down because they don't like the sportbikes tearing it up outside their houses.

That's why I never had any interest to lead a ride when I was out in a group!!

You could also ask the question on the Redline Superbike forum...a real nice bunch of SE Michigan riders who I used to hang out/ride with when I was living there.

Contact my friend Webb (username: Fasterbusa) on there....he knows all the good MI roads to ride.

Cheers,

Sime

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not much considering other parts of the country...

Benn Rd in Parma has a couple 90's
Seymour Rd on the north side of 94 going E from Jackson to Chelsea is fun
Huron River Drive from Dexter to Ann Arbor if you don't mind dodging bicyclists, then head up Dexter-Pickney Rd, turn left at Darwin and go through Hell, turn left at Hadley Rd and go through Pickney state rec area down into Chelsea
I live in this area and it isn't too bad. Anywhere around the lakes has decent roads but nothing like out west or down south. Looking to travel to the tail of the Dragon next year. Thanks for all the good suggestions. It will keep me busy the next couple weeks. :eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just found out about a track near Belding in Michigan where I can ride... Man I need to pay attention more!!! Grattan Raceway just north of Grand Rapids.

·
Always On Mod
1,844 Posts
Sportbiketracktime.com they do 3 group events and used to have really good instructors

Gingerman is over near St. Johns, and Mid-Ohio is only 4 hrs away
Grattan is a fun track, something like 8 of 9 turns are blind plus a 1/2 mile straight, last time i was there (2007) it was really bumpy, don't know if it's been resurfaced since then

I went to Western HS and lived in Spring Arbor in the neighborhoods next to the college. Small world...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Sportbiketracktime.com they do 3 group events and used to have really good instructors

Gingerman is over near St. Johns, and Mid-Ohio is only 4 hrs away
Grattan is a fun track, something like 8 of 9 turns are blind plus a 1/2 mile straight, last time i was there (2007) it was really bumpy, don't know if it's been resurfaced since then

I went to Western HS and lived in Spring Arbor in the neighborhoods next to the college. Small world...
Yeah ive been on grattan 8-10 times in the last year or so. Its said that if you can be fast on grattan then you will be fast everywhere in the mid-west because its the most technical. It has more blind, off camber, decreasing radius turns than any other track. the straight got its start as a dragstrip WAY back before there was the rest of the track so it is also the longest one around. And yes the entire track has been resurfaced in the last year and is good to go!

Idk if its worth the drive, but every thursday night from 5-dark gingerman does an open test-in-tune for like $60 I think. you usually get 3-4 20-30min sessions depending on how many groups are there.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I just found out about a track near Belding in Michigan where I can ride... Man I need to pay attention more!!! Grattan Raceway just north of Grand Rapids.
Yep Grattan is lots of fun, I was there in Spring 2009, it's a very technical track, I live in Indianapolis now and we have Putnam park here close by, very nice track too, planning on being there next year....:thumbsup:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts