Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Question

What do you think quys...is the rubber still OK for future track days ??? Not roasted to too hard ??? I am going to use these tires after couple days at track again ???

Please give your commets...are these safe or not ???

·
Yankee Racer
14,838 Posts
Big Daddy said:
I would give them a try but have a backup set waiting incase they are gone.

BD
+1 I have gone through a set of the power race medium soft and can tell you they were great and the lasted about 3 1/2 trackdays with tire warmers and they did give me a hint that they were done. they started pushing me wide at the entry and exit of the corners and flickability was tough. I put some new power races on and problem solved. I did notice on my powers that the edges got tore up pretty bad and were ripping in some spots but I got good use out of them. Oh yeah I was running 24 rear and around 30-32 front psi.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I raced CCS this weekend and it was stupid hot,mid 90's. My race bike is a ama legal supersport Gsxr750 that makes a smigin under 150hp on a 250 model dynojet and i run pilot races. I was gonna run the ones you had but the michelin man at the track said no way on a high hp bike,alway alway always the Pilot race series(not the power races)or else they will either tear or get overheated fast.He also said the power race's were a "parts unlimited" and "dennis kirk" type tire,for guys on the street doing track days. the PR series is the top o the line DOT tire, just under their slicks in the peckin order. Michelin has made it confusing for alot of people when you talk "race" tires,just troll the wera or ccs boards,it took a michelin rep to post the difference and sort out the confusion.
Next time you take your ten to the track have PR's installed. they come in two fronts, 1 and 2 and rear 1-5, the 2 and 5 being for higher horse/temp conditions.
I got a full practice day and 2 sprint race's (about 15min each) out of my set and they got another practice day left in them before they get retired to street duty.
hope that helps. ps, i got 7th outta 29 and i gridded last!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Guess in states there are diff. michelin tires then in europe. I love pilote race tire and now runin pilot power race. The only beter tire is then slick. And we got real hard granulation track here so tires are done in 1 track day at least at back.
I will also try lower back pressure next track day. I always ran 1.9/2.1 so now will go lower at back to see if it will be any beter.
Its a gr8 tire and i will not go from michelin to other tire as long as i have such good feel in them.
But 1.5 at back seems really very low. Did any1 try that?

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I had the same problems today at VIR in virginia. the right side was baking down and I only had 24psi in it to start. I was using warmers and it still done it. There are alot of on throttle rights at the track, I don;t know what the deal was but I moved pressures from 22 to 30 and it did not make a difference. Some guys at the track told me what Catfish said. These tires just can't handle the 1000 bikes unless suspension is set up really nice. I don't have enough free sag for my weight. I have a penske on the way to try and correct this. With out enough free sag the rear was bouncing some and causing some chunking. Here is a pic of the left side and Right side(torn up).

Attachments

·
Registered
6,354 Posts
Wish I could burn up some tires on the track. Maybe oneday.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Yea, I really don't understand why the right is chunking off. I was not pushing that hard and it still done it. First three sessions of the day it was gummie on the right side but not chunking out. In the first session in the afternoon I went out and really killed the tire. It would not clean the tire up no matter what pressure I tried.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I know the feeling bro, I killed the Right side of my tire at Misano. When I spoke to a friend he said that I did "cold tearing" to the tire, which from the way he explained it is when either the track is cold or the tires are cold when you start riding hard( I have no idea). Also in here is a pic of my bike now that I finally got the plastics painted.

Attachments

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
yup cold tearing is exactly that. Warmers help cut down the degradation when going out and returning to the pits so if ya gottum use um.

BD

·
Registered
740 Posts
I had heard to drop the pressures to 22-24 for the rear but I thought maybe it was a typo so I used 28-29 all day.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Big Daddy said:
after trying diff PSI's and trying to clean it up my other thought would be suspension settings.

BD
I think that was the case. Computrack was at the event and they said my shock must really be bad because they turned the rebound and comp in and out but it did not change much. I am also 195 and to get 25-27mm sag it had no free sag. I now have a 2-way penske :rockwoot: that is installed. Hey BD, what kind of settings are you running on yur penske?

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
madkaw said:
I now have a 2-way penske :rockwoot: that is installed. Hey BD, what kind of settings are you running on yur penske?
I'm 190 fully suited so we may be close. I also have a 500lb spring so check to see what you have. Mine is set up at its shortest length which = the OEM shock length.

rebound 19 clicks out from full firm

comp set @ #2 from full firm

static sag 6mm

rider sag 27mm

BD

1 - 20 of 23 Posts