Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one use these tires on their 10. I usally am a Dunlop user, But saw the
Pilots one Ivan's bike today an liked the look. He says the bike wants to turn
much better will them. YOUR THOUGHTS PLEASE
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
325 Posts
i have it on. soft tires and more round profile than stock D218. it turns in very quick that i don't think you need 180 size. i think it's better than the stock D218. i love it so far. found myself leaning way over and still feeling confident.
 

·
Bloo Moderator
Joined
·
23,742 Posts
KAWYMAN said:
Any one use these tires on their 10. I usally am a Dunlop user, But saw the
Pilots one Ivan's bike today an liked the look. He says the bike wants to turn
much better will them. YOUR THOUGHTS PLEASE

I was like you with usaully using Donlops only, but I heard so many great things about the Powers I gave it a try and so far no complaints. I have just as much confidence with these tires as any Dunlop I had before.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the Input Guys, I will wear out these 218 in a hurry and try the pilots in a couple weeks. I did notice the pilots have a rounder profile than the stock 218's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,386 Posts
I just went through a set of the Pilots Power Race last weekend.

Great tire. Even beat up it felt good.

The race is the 2 compound tire. Med in the middle and soft on the sides.

I am going to try a set of the street tires next.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
Damn it, they beat me to it. I've always thought a tire company should make a dual compound tire, soft on the edges and med/hard in the middle. Never really looked at the race tires to see if they had it though. I work at the local kawi dealer and the only differences I've heard between the D208/D218s and the Power Pilot is that the Dunlops last a bit longer, the Power Pilot is a bit softer tire then 208s. So if you're doing a lot of canyon/twisty riding then go with the power pilot, if you're doing a lot of city riding and not too much cornering then I'd stick with the Dunlops.
One other thing, I remember reading somewhere that the Power Pilot wear in wave type pattern or something and can wear out your head bearings. Anyone else heard that?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,311 Posts
the dunlops have tread patterns that make your bars weave, I could believe that from the 218s.
The front pilot power is 4mm taller as measured by sport rider in a tire test. So remember you are getting increased stability but slower turn in with this tire.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
179 Posts
watch out for H2 tires.

I too like the Michelin Pilot tires a lot, but watch out for the Pilot Power H2 tire. I had a set of them on my bike and after about 200 hard canyon miles the rear tire bubbled up big soft ball size lumps and split open on my while I was riding home! I did some checking and michelin said they stopped the H2 line and was going to do something better, I did stick with michelin, but I went with the Pilot Race tires, I run a S2 front and a M2 rear and all I can say is they are just excellent tires, I have about 1000 miles on them and no trouble, so just stay away from the H2, its bad news, take it from me, it was all I could do to save my 10 from going down, at first it was like a really bad vibration, then it went flat in about 5 minutes and it was all hell from there, I did manage to get the bike stopped and all, no damage, but I really would stay away from the H2 Pilot Power tires. There definately is a difference in the Pilot Power and Pilot Race, so check what tire you are buying. Thats my two cents.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
179 Posts
Your tire expert must not be very smart, you are saying no such marking as a michelin pilot power H2? So the tire I have in my garage is not real then? I suppose you would like to come over and see it!!!!!!!!!! Idiot!!!!!!!!!!!! As for any tire doing what I described? I suppose its possible, but I can say after 12 years of street riding and racing, that no tire has ever done that to me before or since!!! All I was trying to do was give a guy a heads up, if you talk to anyone who knows what the F they are talking about they will tell you that the H2 was not that great of a tire, thats all I am saying, buy any of the newer ones, In fact to the best of my knowledge the H2 has been discontinued, due to tire failure!!!!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
102 Posts
I am a dealer for these tires and I can tell you that they will be going on as soon as I wear out the 218s. They have up to a 45 degree lean angle in the WET and 55 degrees on dry pavement. Not to mention warm up time is next to nothing!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
424 Posts
weaving

BNninja said:
the dunlops have tread patterns that make your bars weave, I could believe that from the 218s.
The front pilot power is 4mm taller as measured by sport rider in a tire test. So remember you are getting increased stability but slower turn in with this tire.
So that's the slight left to right I feel in the bars as I come to a stop? Very slight, but I feel it. Noticed it since I put the tires on. Strange feeling. Almost like I feel the surface of the asphalt.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
325 Posts
green04zx10r said:
Your tire expert must not be very smart, you are saying no such marking as a michelin pilot power H2? So the tire I have in my garage is not real then? I suppose you would like to come over and see it!!!!!!!!!! Idiot!!!!!!!!!!!! As for any tire doing what I described? I suppose its possible, but I can say after 12 years of street riding and racing, that no tire has ever done that to me before or since!!! All I was trying to do was give a guy a heads up, if you talk to anyone who knows what the F they are talking about they will tell you that the H2 was not that great of a tire, thats all I am saying, buy any of the newer ones, In fact to the best of my knowledge the H2 has been discontinued, due to tire failure!!!!!!!
i dunnot who is "IDIOT".

well here it is below. it is NOT Pilot Power H2. just Pilot H2.

------------------------------------------------------------------

"Straight from michelin north america...

Sean

I had the opportunity to view some the messages on your message board this morning particularly with the discussions about Power Race tires.

It seems their is some confusion even in our ranks...so to set the record straight I have prepared a sheet for you to identify what tires are designed for street vs track. ( See Attachment).

In Short...
Pilot Power is the premier street/trackday tire, other great trackday tires are Pilot Sport Cup and Pilot H2.

Power Race Soft, Power Race Medium offer very limited use on the street (20%)...these are real race tires! Most riders will go faster on these tires than the S2/M2 from last year.

Power Race Medium Soft, PR1- PR5 are 100% race track due to complex compounding which do not work well on the street.
This type of tire was only available last year to the very top riders. For 2005 all racers have a choice because these tires are available to everyone.

I hope this helps clear up the confusion on your chat room.

Regards
Ron Wood
Manager Sales and Competition Development
Two Wheel North America"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
179 Posts
Ya know what screw you man, all I did was try and give a heads up to someone about a type of tire I had a problem with. Then you go and say there is no such tire, as if I am just way off in left field with no clue. Ok, you are right the tire says Pilot H2, But Pilot H2, Pilot Power H2, what the hell are we going to put it under the microscope next? I believe that if you read my original post you will see I said that I thought Michelin had discontinued that tire, and now you are crying why did I call you and your buddy names. Oh wha wha wha!!! You are the one who started this crap with me, I think from now on I will just keep my knowledge and all to myself, it really just isn't worht trying to share anything on here, since there seems to be nothing but a bunch of bitches here!!!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,869 Posts
thanks for contributing greeno4zx10r or should i say "hulk"...easy...

i think i will try the pilot on my next tire change....everyone take a chill pill
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
325 Posts
green04zx10r said:
Ya know what screw you man, all I did was try and give a heads up to someone about a type of tire I had a problem with. Then you go and say there is no such tire, as if I am just way off in left field with no clue. Ok, you are right the tire says Pilot H2, But Pilot H2, Pilot Power H2, what the hell are we going to put it under the microscope next? I believe that if you read my original post you will see I said that I thought Michelin had discontinued that tire, and now you are crying why did I call you and your buddy names. Oh wha wha wha!!! You are the one who started this crap with me, I think from now on I will just keep my knowledge and all to myself, it really just isn't worht trying to share anything on here, since there seems to be nothing but a bunch of bitches here!!!!!!
look whos bitching. you really believe there is Pilot Power H2 for street? some people just can't admit. i simply just pointing out the model you mention is wrong. if you mistype it is not a problem. you can keep your experience to yourself. it's not very acurate anyway. boohoohoo..

i don't understand why you are so uptight about it.

this the problem with the world. people use to believe the earth is flat. then someone prove the theory wrong and got in trouble for it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,177 Posts
kuzco said:
people use to believe the earth is flat. then someone prove the theory wrong and got in trouble for it.
if the earth weren't flat we would all fall off our bikes... who's the idiot now!!!LOL
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top