Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody tried all 3 of them? I am just trying to justify PP3 over the very first one because I see a set for the PP CT for $245 shipped to my door on 120/70/17 & 190/55/17. PP3 is for $40+. My question would be mileage, I want to get the best possible. They also have 2CT for $30 more.
Thanks in advance.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,670 Posts
I've run the Pilot Power, Pilot Power 2CT, and Power Pure. The Power is a really good street tire, the 2CT is better, the Pure sucks donkey balls.

Dunlop Q3 beats them all. IMO, of course, in terms of grip. Never needed or wanted to go back to the Michelin lineup after switching so can't comment on the PP3.

I can't comment on the mileage too much, because that is the least of my concerns. Grip levels and confidence are more important to me than mileage. I get 2000-2500 miles out of a rear Q3. The 2CT I was able to get a little over 3,000 miles out of a rear. I don't care though as tires are cheap insurance compared to crashing from worn or shitty tires.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for your input skydork, I don't track at all. I have some days that I do some spirited rides but I just got this gen 4 so I am trying to get a tire that should last me a while. I hardly ever ride to be honest. I dont know if I will keep my gen 2 either.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
I am in 100% agreement with Skydork. I used to be a Michelin guy, but I made the switch too. If you want something that's going to last you might consider the Pilot Road series tires. They aren't meant to be super aggressive with, but they generally last a few thousand more miles.

·
Registered
619 Posts
The chart kind of spells it out.

I'm running the Power Super Sport on my 10 and running the
Pilot Power 3 2ct on my zzr1200

Like both tires. The Super Sports are not going to last long.
Only have a couple hundred track miles and maybe 100 canyon
miles and I'm starting to think about replacing them after
maybe another track day or 2.

The Pilot Power 3 is holding up very nice. Been to the drag strip
several times, canyon runs and commuting and they
are holding up very well. Not much noticeable wear.
Prob got 1500 miles. Normally only get like 2k out of a set and
I'm thinking will go 3-4k easy. Have not had any issues with the PP3.

Although I've never tried the Q3's but being so popular I'll
prob try a set on the 10 next (or the Diablo Superbike pros :smile:)

Attachments

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,670 Posts
I think that's what im looking for, grip and mileage.
:crackup:There is no such thing! It's always a trade-off!

You might be able to find a tire that meets your particular riding needs in this way, but remember that a higher mileage tire will always sacrifice some level of grippiness in order to achieve that. And grippy tires will always sacrifice mileage. Just the way it goes.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well you are right my friend, but I have tried pilot road and yes they don't grip at all, but at the same token I don't want to be changing tires every 1500-2000k miles.

·
Registered
330 Posts
great info there buddy, yeah I think im gonna give a try to PP3 2ct. I think that's what im looking for, grip and mileage.
If you do get the PP3s, post back your thoughts about them.
End of season here, so I'll burn out my S20s before storing her for the winter, and get new rubber next spring. PP3s are on the list to try.

FYI, I went through 3 sets of S20s this year. Got about 2800 miles (5K kms) per set. That was with commuting and 'spirited' weekend rides, no track days.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Well welcome to south Florida. The roads are always hot and harsh with all the coral in them. Tires are going to get chewed up there, especially since you cant use the sides at all. Like Skydork said, pick traction or milage, your choice.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have PP3 on my Gen2 upgraded to a 190 on the rear and absolutely love them! Great grip in nice weather and holds up pretty well in the rain. Put a little over 1000 miles on them so far and I would say 3000mi per set sounds about right. I would highly recommend them, but I admit that I have never tried the Dunlop Q3 or other comparable tires so I don't know how they would stack up.

·
The Pace
6,949 Posts
I wear out tires at 1500 and stretch them until just about 2k miles and have logged 50k miles on '11 g4 and a measly 2600 on new '13 g4 with and another 114,000 miles on 07 r1. Bunch of miles on FZ1, can't remember how many right now.

Most miles, by far, on Michelin powers. Most of these on the reg powers, next the 2cts, and a few thousand miles on the power 3's.

Power 3's will give you the most mileage, BUT the rear will spin more. I got around 2800 miles on power 3 rear and hit the fabric, tearing the hugger a little.

The power front V's way faster than the Q3's, but turns a bit nicer than q3's until ya figure out to just slam the flick. Then q'3 front feels normal.

But check this out. the oem bridgestone battleaxe 16 whatever came stock on '11 and '13. On the '11 I hit the wear bars around 800 miles. But on the '13 did NOT hit wear bars until 2400 and got another 200 np and could have got another 200 mile loop in.

Same loop but increased slab 50 miles so each loop 200 miles. idk, but the slab could help tires last a lot longer! Sure seems better perception wise.

So, bought another set of axes and on the bike now. Weather is messed up here so they're still fresh. Waiting!

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
great info guys, I am still debating on what to get on my gen 4 since I dont need them right now but I will report back. I have the Pilot Road 2 on my Gen 2 and they are not the best tires, don't inspire confidence at all. I don't remember who told me they were the best tires but nowhere near.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,670 Posts
motomummy.com has the q3 190/55 set for $259 shipped to my door. I think I will give them a try instead.
Contact Mike at Rider's Discount first. He may be able to beat that price.

If not, then www.jakewilson.com has Q3 sets for $249.98 shipped

·
Registered
93 Posts
How u going newninja ? TRy a s20 front with a t30 bridgy rear i ride fast road and this combo will do u just fine the rear sports touring tyre can take a fair hiding don't worry about that sports touring tyres these days are more than enough for fast road riding i got sick of replacing s20 rear every 2000klm .

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
:crackup:There is no such thing! It's always a trade-off!

You might be able to find a tire that meets your particular riding needs in this way, but remember that a higher mileage tire will always sacrifice some level of grippiness in order to achieve that. And grippy tires will always sacrifice mileage. Just the way it goes.
Damn you and your logic!!

well you are right my friend, but I have tried pilot road and yes they don't grip at all, but at the same token I don't want to be changing tires every 1500-2000k miles.
Yeah, that gets old quick huh?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts