Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys!
about to change the tires in my Gen1 and have narrowed down the choice among these tires.
Do you have any suggestion about those? I do not race the bike, it's only streets and some Sunday riding in the hills.

Let me know your thoughts!

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Yes we will help answer your question, but only if you promise to make an oil thread too!

you could start off by giving us some basic info on the bike, yoursf, and/or what type of riding you do, such as commuting to work, or serious back road riding....or do you just cruise around through the hills nice and slow?

Why those two tires? How much do they cost?

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have Contisportattack 2 (190/50) on my Gen1 at moment and they came with bike when I bought it (6mths ago). Looking through invoices, it looks like they have had 12,000 miles on them and the rear is just going now.
So you will definitely get mileage out of them. I would say they are a good tyre, good feedback, warm up quickly.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Yes get the Dunlop Q3 with the $50 mail in rebate and end this thread. If you are dead set on one of those tires I found the Metzelers to be decent, and slightly better than the Conti's. Neither were as good as the Dunlop's however for my riding style.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,670 Posts
I have Contisportattack 2 (190/50) on my Gen1 at moment and they came with bike when I bought it (6mths ago). Looking through invoices, it looks like they have had 12,000 miles on them and the rear is just going now.

So you will definitely get mileage out of them. I would say they are a good tyre, good feedback, warm up quickly.

Dear god man. 12k on a tire? No way! At 3k a year average for most riders, that would make the tires 4+ years old! Check the 4 digit date code on the tire sidewall to see the manufacturing date. Tires should not be used if over 5 years old regardless of the tread depth. They age and lose their plyability. Get some new shoes on that thing ASAP. Especially the front.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
I have the Sport Attack 2's now and I've been on the Dunlop Q2's I would love to try the Q3's but the SA2's have been so great to me that I've ordered them again to replace my old ones this is the first time that I've ordered the same tire ever.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello guys!
Thanks for the answers, I ride a Gen1 Zx10R with a few mods, nothing radical.
I cannot use the 50$ rebate since I live in Italy :D
The choice was among those two tires since they are in the same price range (front and rear) 150-160€ and are, as far as the reviews that I read go, good tires in all conditions.
I do not race the bike but I like to bring it up the hills in the weekend, while it's used to go from A to B during the week...

The Qualifier 3 are not available in Italy, if I had to go Dunlop I'd go with the SportSmart 2, but those would be 220€...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry for the double post, when I say I ride it in the hills, I'm not meaning I do sight seeing, I have a Gen1 :p , I'd be shameful if that was the purpose of such a bike ;)

I have to rephrase: I enjoy riding fast on the hills of Italy :)

·
Registered
759 Posts
I like Metzler, if you can get the M7RR I'd recommend that over the M5. That's what I have on now and it is the M5 replacement with claimed better wear properties :smile:

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
Dear god man. 12k on a tire? No way! At 3k a year average for most riders, that would make the tires 4+ years old! Check the 4 digit date code on the tire sidewall to see the manufacturing date. Tires should not be used if over 5 years old regardless of the tread depth. They age and lose their plyability. Get some new shoes on that thing ASAP. Especially the front.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
12000 kilometers which is about 7400 miles... that high too but if you weigh
140 lbs and keep 40psi in the tires and ride in a cold climate then perhaps.

That said... Bridgestone S20 Hypersports for the Win! $220 for a set after the rebate. they were 2nd to the Q3 now they fall behind Conti and Q3. Im okay with that.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I will check the numbers on tyre sidewall tonight. It maybe the previous owner didn't retain invoice for recent tyres. The only one I have seen was just over 12,000 miles ago.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Looked on tyre sidewall and it says 067068
Anyway, I have some Metzeler Sportec M7 RR in rear 190/55 on order, so nice sticky rubber ready for warm weather. I would have got Q3's but they don't do in UK.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts