Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the guy that runs the dyno here, is a big car racer, and he is bringing methanol, he told me that in a rate to 1-5, should mix my fuel and the bike could gain some power.

any thoughts...

·
Registered
783 Posts
There is a thread here on it with results. I know I posted in it and Burn1t I think is the OP. He got good results for a fuel change.

#######sorry I read methanol and thought E85##################

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Gains would be negligible at best just mixing it with pump fuel. Now tuning to run solely Methanol can be advantageous as it's great for when you are building a motor for just a quick blast down the strip a few times a night, but it is not something you want to deal with for a road racing bike. Or even a road going bike for that matter...

Many many years ago I had a V65 Magna that was a total sleeper. Balanced and Blueprinted, Jetted for methanol and it would run 9 second 1/4 miles all night long. The only give away was that sweet sweet exhaust smell coming out of the OEM exhausts. The downside was she was a very thirsty girl and methanol is caustic to most gasket materials. If it didn't eat it up it would make it swell unless you had something like Viton this included the diaphragms in the carbs and of course when you jet a bike to run on Methanol once you run out of it you're screwed. Granted with Fuel Injection and most piggy back controllers you could easily have another map for pump gas if you ran out of Methanol, but I bet it is still caustic to the seals in the fuel system of modern bikes and Fuel Pressure Regulators etc.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
What he said. The real benefit to methanol is its endothermic vaporization... you have to use so much of it to get the same fuel density of pump gas, and all that extra fuel vaporizing lowers combustion temperature immensely. If you can take advantage for that cooling, it is an amazing fuel... probably second only to Nitro mixes. But you would need a metric shit ton of compression and timing to take advantage of that.... something you just wouldn't do outside of a purpose built dragbike.

The negative effects are legion. It's poisonous. It has no visible flame when it burns (https://youtu.be/U8b99OjLdlY). You need 61% MORE fuel for stoich. It's corrosive. It's Hygroscopic. It's just bad stuff.

If you want to go the rocket fuel route, try MR12 or Q16.... you'll be happier that way, most likely.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wanted a quick solution but that looks 2 complicated.

Just wanted to pour in a galon in the tank for a top end speed race

Mr12 is dificult to get

Enviado desde mi LG-D855 mediante Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.