Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I was gonna clean and lube my chain today when I noticed metal flakes on the chain, chain guard and under the front sprocket cover. I bought the bike about 3 months ago and I believe the chain and sprockets were pretty much new. I've since put about 2,000 miles on the bike. Could it just be from me neglecting to keep the chain pristinely clean or is it a technical problem? Chain slack is correct and the rear is aligned properly. Sprockets don't appear to be wearing abnormally.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
wow that looks pretty nasty...You need to pull the sprocket cover and do a thorough cleaning to see where the issues are coming from.

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
dude, look at the first pic! the aluminum sprocket teeth are mushed!!!
thats what I was thinking. it looks like your sprockets are being shaved and thats whats going every. I would get new ones man.

·
All show and all go 10r
5,921 Posts
You should also get a new chain if that's the damage being done to the sprockets the chain wouldn't be doing much better.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Have u checked the inside of the swingarm? Even the end of the thread looks worn?

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
Look at the cush drive and make sure there isn't a gap. And make sure the wheel spacer is not damaged.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
make sure your rear wheel is straight. If it is crocked the steel change is going to grind the edge of your sprockets.

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
I had a bolt back out of the front chain gaurd and rubbed the chain. It left a nasty mess like that.
while that makes a ton of sense and could be part of the culprit, looking at the teeth on the sprocket also though, it almost appears the chain is grinding the teeth in a weird way.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cleaned it after taking those pics and haven't seen any more metal flakes, been about 200 miles so we'll see. Gonna hold off on replacing anything, I was just more curious as to whether or not the issue could be caused by having an excessively dirty chain. Also I don't really see where the sprockets are being worn abnormally, they look fine to me :dontknow:

Attachments

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
holy shit, your chain is gold? :crackup: at least you got it cleaned up man. did you check around for any screws that backed out a bit like tjunkie said?

I said it looked like the sprocket was getting chewed weird by the chain because of the pic you posted of it. it looked like the teeth were getting ground on a bit

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
Dude I see a chippped tooth on your front sprocket in that pic you posted all cleaned up. And that rear alumimum sprocket has some seriously POINTY teeth. The flakes are from the aluminum sprocket man.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well fuck me, I guess I'll just replace the chain and sprockets. Go with steel sprockets this time I suppose. Only around $200 for the parts right?

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
Depending on how good of a chain you get, the chain can run you $120-$150 easily.
Honestly, RidersDiscount on here has GREAT prices on quality chains. 3 top chains, in no special order, are EK ZZZ, DID ZVMX, and EK MXZV(or some shit,lol). The ZZZ and ZVMX are top 2 strongest chains in 525 series. I have run both and the ZZZ is much lighter but the ZVMX rolls easier and little stronger rating but not much.
Sprockets are cheaper than chain but RD can get you a combo deal on some steels and a NICE strong chain.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts