Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about buying a new jacket and was wondering what you all thought about mesh or leather. I am in NC and it's pretty hot right now so I am debating on buying a leather jacket. I think the leather will last longer and will provide better protection in case of a crash. But on the flip side the mesh has some armour and is cooler.

I am looking at this on New Enough
http://www.newenough.com/joe_rocket_990_jacket_page.htm

Or one of these
http://www.newenough.com/joe_rocket_phoenix_4point0_jacket_page.htm

http://www.newenough.com/joe_rocket_ufo_jacket_page.htm

Let me know what your opinions are.

·
Registered
443 Posts
i know it is hot but id go with the leather jacket it will save you ass if you go down, or at least better than a mesh jacket. Mesh jackets are better than nothing but do not offer much protection.

JMO

here is a pic of mine i paid about $230.00 for it new from ebay

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
I ride primarily with (perforated) leather...even in Florida. Joe Rocket perforated Sonic jacket or the Alter Ego are two of the most comfortable from what I've tried so far. I've also noticed that the leather doesn't retain the heat as much as the ballistic jackets. But, to each his own.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Leather is always going to offer more protection. Something is better than nothing. I always wear full leather gear now, Pants, Jacket and boots (Jeans on rare occasions) I live in Vegas so it gets pretty hot here. My moto is if its too hot for full gear its too hot to ride.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Forget the mesh. Like others mentioned, it's better than nothing. But not much. I think sweating a little and taking a shower when I get home is much better than having numerous layers of skin burnt off of my body by the asphalt. But that's just me, though. :dontknow:

·
MIA Ex-Mod
3,051 Posts
Well I have the Icon Timax not the mesh but still the fabric type jacket. If you are just cruising around town and not showing out on some mountain curves, I think its just fine. I wouldn't wear it on the Dragon or a trackday but for riding to th local bike night or to the store, I believe it offers enough protection for speed below 55 mph. For high speed rding such as long interstate riding or high speed cornering then get the leather. JMHO

Tread

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
hangman39 said:
http://www.newenough.com/teknic_chicane6_jacket_page.htm
This is the one I just bought in Green of course and I love it.
Perf. works pretty good in the Alabama heat rode Saturday was in the mid 90's was not to bad unless caught in traffic.
Ditto on the Chicane jacket (I got the green one). I went down with mesh, and still suffered some rash (through the mesh). I am now going to wear perf leather in the summer, and full leather in the winter. Just my .02.

D

·
Registered
152 Posts
my vote is for leather. not only does it look cooler (in my humble opinion), but it definitely protects way better than mesh. should last longer too, if well maintained. there are some leather jackets out there than come in layers with a lighter layer on the outside for summer riding (still the protection, but minus the heat) and a lower layer for the cooler parts of the season.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Check out Dainese It uses special tek in order to keep you cool and it will save your ass. I have this jacket and pants and ride 8 hours at a time in 98 F Florida heat all the time. They are the best.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I've got a Joe Rocket Phoenix. Definitely forget that. It doesn't hold the armor in place very well at all. In fact I haven't seen any of the mesh jackets that do. I've also got a heavy First Gear (Hein Gericke), it is vented but but not perforated and is absolutely unwearable here in Central Texas right now. I'm still looking too. Again forget the mesh. Wuff

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
I have a perforated leather that I use in the mornings but in the south georgia heat its about impossible to wear. I also have a jr mesh jacket that is wonderful for those hot days. Its not near the protection but in 100 degree heat with 100 % humidity you are not going to wear leather.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I ride with a mesh only jacket always.. I actually prefer the joe rocket that is mesh and leather combo.. thin perforated leather on arms and shoulders and upper back. mesh front and and back.. its better than nothing and if i owned a leather jacket i would be riding with nothing so its an easy decision for me..

·
Registered
152 Posts
so i may SAY that leather is best, but its not what i wear. i dont even own leather. therefore, i am jealous of those of you that do. but i am in the market for a good jacket. i have seen lots of links for jackets here, but all of them are mens jackets and by my quick browsing, i didnt notice any womens jackets. you guys have any advice as to where a woman can get a hot-looking jacket that still protects her little body?

·
MIA Ex-Mod
3,051 Posts
Rruhtroh said:
so i may SAY that leather is best, but its not what i wear. i dont even own leather. therefore, i am jealous of those of you that do. but i am in the market for a good jacket. i have seen lots of links for jackets here, but all of them are mens jackets and by my quick browsing, i didnt notice any womens jackets. you guys have any advice as to where a woman can get a hot-looking jacket that still protects her little body?

I like the Icon brand personally for looks and fit. Are you the Pink type of lady or the Black type?

Tread

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Rruhtroh said:
All my gear is Alpinestars except for my Roadcrafter suit. And my wife says her Alpinestars stuff is her favorite also. Here is some womens AStars stuff: http://www.motostrano-store.com/alwocl.html

·
Registered
152 Posts
fo sho NOT pink. my bike is black, so black would do nicely.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts