Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Does not drive into smoke
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Soooo... My bike has suffered a "misadventure" in the summer, which resulted in a damaged clutch basket (plus the clutch cover, etc). The clutch has since been replaced, but the bike still isn't running. The engine starts, but there is a horrible grinding noise coming from the bike when it's running. The second gear will not engage from neutral, so I'm suspecting that there is a problem with the transmission.

Hence my winter project. It is to:
- fix the bike,
- do as much additional acts of biky goodness to it as reasonably doable (I'm talking things like cleaning, replacing fluids, additional maintenance, checks, etc, etc)

This thread will document the progress of the work.

First stages:

And a question. This is the closeup of the radiator. Some of the fins are bent. I tried to straighten them with a screwdriver, but they are very soft and they warp even more. Any suggestions as to what I can do about these bends?

·
Registered
279 Posts
I have seen A/C techs use a fancy little comb for straightening fins on window units in the past. Exact same principal as the radiator in my opinion. Maybe check with a local A/C and/or heating company.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Good luck with the build bro...keep us posted

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
I like the clock, it lets me know how slow you are lololol, just playing man:thumbsup:, good luck. Are you planning on adding any aftermarket bits or just servicing everything back to stock form (or close to)

·
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I like the clock, it lets me know how slow you are lololol, just playing man:thumbsup:, good luck. Are you planning on adding any aftermarket bits or just servicing everything back to stock form (or close to)
Lol... I'm trying to restore it to a near-stock, street-legal condition. Somebody has already told me about the benefits of removing the secondary butterflies, so that will likely be one deviation from 100% stock.

·
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Radiator removed:

And the rad:

Still needs cleaning, but it should be easier once it's off the bike.

I'm also thinking about replacing the hoses, but I'm not yet sure about that.

·
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Btw, a part of the project is to install the other fan as well (the one on the floor in the 1st pic above)...

·
Registered
770 Posts
Btw, a part of the project is to install the other fan as well (the one on the floor in the 1st pic above)...
I thought I reconigzed that news paper article....Good ol' T-Dot..Aha nice man..How's everything coming along for you so far? Looks good by the pictures your showing us

·
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I thought I reconigzed that news paper article....Good ol' T-Dot..Aha nice man..How's everything coming along for you so far? Looks good by the pictures your showing us
It's going pretty well. I'm picking up front tree stand from FSM next week. Taking tons of pics, so that I can reassemble the bike at the end... lol

I think the "interesting" stuff will start when I get to removing the engine and splitting the crankcase...

·
Registered
874 Posts
are you doing this work in your living room or dining room?
You are a brave man! I would def trash the floor if I worked inside the livable part of my house.

On another note... I am thinking about doing the same thing on my gen3 with adding a second fan. I live in NJ and sometimes ride into NYC and with all the traffic and lights everywhere just sitting not moving I've experience some concerning temps with my bike.

How will you be mounting this 2nd fan? My gen3 rad does not have any mounting tabs that I saw to mount a fan on the other side. Def going to be watching this part of your build in particular.

·
Registered
770 Posts
It's going pretty well. I'm picking up front tree stand from FSM next week. Taking tons of pics, so that I can reassemble the bike at the end... lol

I think the "interesting" stuff will start when I get to removing the engine and splitting the crankcase...
Ah the fun stuff though. It's always the interesting part but it's also fun too or I think so. Man is the winter there as bad as it is in the Ottawa area? We got green grass and no snow at all here..+5-12 all weekend it just finally got back to under zero this afternoon..

Nothing is more fun then giving your bike a full make over and bringing her back to better than new condition!

Good job man.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts