Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not sure how many people here are interested, but I am going to keep track of my build up of a mega squirt for my 08 ZX10

So far, I have a mega squirt, and a spare harness, and all of the suplies I think I need to do this at the moment.

I bought the mega squirt with the intention of boosting the bike when I have it working properly.

My first order of business is to Research and test every analogue device ont he bike to get as much information as possible to get the mega squirt running.

To do this I have purchased a second harness for testing purposes and in doing this, I have split the harness at the ECU, marking each wire as to its pin-out and attaching a connector here. This took me about 4-5 hours today.

Supplies:

Harness

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
so is this like a motty afr or pv5 with autotune?
no, it is a megasquirt, it is a standalone I suppose.

http://www.megamanual.com/index.html

The reasons I went this way....

Tons of support for modifying it, but no direct support for a ZX10
-Boost Control
-N20 Control
-Fuel Control, all injectors
-Spark Control
-IAC
-Completely OPEN

Also "Cheap" although that is if I dont consider the shit i have had to buy to build it

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I worked on this some more Saturday night, got the MS mostly assembled. However, I was a little over ambitious and I soldered an IC in the wrong position. After this I stopped working on it, as I am waiting on a replacement IC. I also have had some severely BAD food poisoning for the past few days, and have been pretty much confined to a bed. Should have the MS finished this weekend, and I will probably pop the modified harness on at that point.
I need to figure out allot of crap before I try to get the bike to crank with the MS, in fact I really need to figure out what I need to figure out. I have been studying the wiring diagrams in the manual, and need to spend a little more time doing this.

-Bob

Some more pictures

·
La Flama Blanca
7,730 Posts
I had a buddy that was big into that Megasquirt, had a 66 Mustang with a 5.0 running on it, converted his 350 TBI Chevy pickup over to it, think he has a 66 Chevy pickup with a 5.3 running on it now. Pretty damn impressive and powerful FMS for something made with Radioshack parts for the most part.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Sorry to hear about the food poisoning, that's the worst. I still have vivid memories of a bad undercooked steak from 5 years ago.

You're more ambitious than I am, I plan to buy an assembled MS3, and maybe have a shop build me a harness. But you are doing it the pure way, and will be much better off when troubleshooting.

Thanks for updates, good luck.

Dean

·
Registered
53 Posts
I need to keep an eye on this ... Been wanting to do a MS system on the 10 for some time ... Only ever used MS on Glabal GT Lights and a few Formula Renault conversions ...

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Sorry to hear about the food poisoning, that's the worst. I still have vivid memories of a bad undercooked steak from 5 years ago.

You're more ambitious than I am, I plan to buy an assembled MS3, and maybe have a shop build me a harness. But you are doing it the pure way, and will be much better off when troubleshooting.

Thanks for updates, good luck.

Dean
Yes, they sell surface mount boards, and if I can not get this to work, I am going to buy one of those.

I wish I had an update, but I have been out of town for a few weeks, and I am unable to work on the megasquirt. I think the parts I ordered are at home, I am going to pick up another multimeter to measure capacitance, I am also thinking of picking some of these up.
http://www.kistler.com/us_en-us/2_2_1_engines_sensors/Variety-of-Sensors-from-Kistler.html

http://www.kistler.com/mediaaccess/en-us/000-022e-09.02.pdf
EDIT:
Another paper
http://www.kistler.com/mediaaccess/en-us/920-333e-09.04.pdf

I am hoping for some construction on this this weekend.

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
Cylinder pressure sensors? With the right software, you can do dynamic fine-tuning of ignition timing and knock control with those.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cylinder pressure sensors? With the right software, you can do dynamic fine-tuning of ignition timing and knock control with those.
Indeed, I am not sure if i can get very good PV (Pressure Volume) traces at 14k RPM, but I am going to try. The signal processor I have is 51.2 KS/s DSP and the encoder I have is 360* but you really need at least 720 points/rev to even have an idea of where you are. The hall effect off of the bike with the toothed wheel might be a better option, although I do not know how many teeth are here.

The math shows that I have the option for about 200 S/stroke @ max speed. Step 1 is to get the MS done, then I will worry about this, but it would be a really great tool for fine tuning an engine, and would give lots of valuable knowledge as to what is happening during the combustion process.

The sensors are probably 1-2k each, might see if I can get work to buy a few. We have some but they are 14mm and I believe our plugs are 10mm :( I was also told by a colleague that they are very sensitive, and tend to die quickly. He was using them on a "High Speed" Gas engine, maybe 2k RPM, said he started with 16 and has a total of 4 left after one use. I hope I get a little better life out of one.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

The toothed wheel evidently has 30 teeth and 30 gaps. this means that you could obtain 60 confirmed deviations in crank position. However since the signals I will get will be clocked, and all on the same trigger, reality is that I should be able to interpolate a speed and crank position between two teeth with a good amount of accuracy even if the engine is not at a constant speed.

Here is a PV card from a misfiring engine due to pre-ignition in the pressure transducer port KIENE valve. Also the pressure transducer is being heat soaked wich further effects the results. But it is a general Idea of the data one would get with the installation of a pressure sensor in the combustion chamber.

Why would I do this.
From PV you can estimate horse power, you can see peak firing pressure, can also estimate how lean/rich the engine is operating using the first derivative of the curve, ignition events will be clear. Valve opening events can be determined usually, although typically, I have seen ultrasonic measurements for these. I don't feel as if this data will be necessary for tuning or performance enhancement, but I feel like it will be a valuable contribution to the communities understanding of what is happening inside of the engine when a gain in power or an abnormal condition is reached.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Floosh the teeth you are counting from the pic are for the starter assembly. The toothed wheel that triggers the crank sensor is behind that ring. I don't know how many teeth there are, but there is a gap on that gear.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Floosh the teeth you are counting from the pic are for the starter assembly. The toothed wheel that triggers the crank sensor is behind that ring. I don't know how many teeth there are, but there is a gap on that gear.
HA, you know what page it is on in the manual?

better yet, got a picture of one?

Also the damn post office near home has all of my parts from DIY auto tune, but, I am not home to pick them up, I am hoping to get them Saturday if I get home by then.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yea Dean, WTF do you know? U only run 250mph. Let the master work his magic....
Ha, dean seems to know much more than I do for the bike!

I am fairly confident that the MS will deal with the missing tooth, but it looks to me as if there are two teeth missing. Gonna have to do a little research on how MS deals with all of this. :cool:

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
:) I've just been in these motors a bunch of times.

I think I have an extra crank gear at home, I'll count, or post a pic.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts