Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
I really need to get out of the house
13,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had to change two fuses in my bike from 10amps to 15 amps, one was the marker/brake lite fuse and the other was the head lite fuse. Fuses kept blowin only on 10amps.

So if it were your bike would you be concerned?

Just scared Im goin to screw up my wiring in my bike.

Thanks

·
Registered
308 Posts
Do not put bigger fuses in. You can burn wires like that. You have a wire or two with a short or a bad connection. This causes heat and resistance which blows the fuse. Trace these two systems down and really carefully check the wires and connections or take it in. Good luck.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Something is causing excess current draw on those lines. Its probably not a good thing to leave alone. Might want to check over your wires and connectors. I have not experienced this on my bike personally, so I'll wait for others to chime in with more details. But definitely something to be concerned about.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Even a high load circuit like the headlamp should be drawing less than 5 amps or so....I don't see any way that a properly functioning bike should be blowing 10 amp fuses. unless you have heated gloves, auxilliary 60w PIAA headlights, gps, and air horns all running on the same circuit, 10 amps should be enough.

I'd start looking for an intermittant short. They're hard to find...a good wiggle test will sometimes fix it forever.

·
13,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
But the thing is, I have never had a issue with the fuses blowin until i put these new bulbs in, that are brighter, and when I put the stock bulbs back in she doesnt blow so you still think there is a short somewhere in the wires?

·
13,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Even a high load circuit like the headlamp should be drawing less than 5 amps or so....I don't see any way that a properly functioning bike should be blowing 10 amp fuses. unless you have heated gloves, auxilliary 60w PIAA headlights, gps, and air horns all running on the same circuit, 10 amps should be enough.

I'd start looking for an intermittant short. They're hard to find...a good wiggle test will sometimes fix it forever.

The only other thing i have on her is a gear indicator and Im not really sure where that wire goes into

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
i'd double check all the bulbs to be sure they are correct,then check your wires/terminals at the connectors,may have pinched together when replacing bulbs(grabbing marker connectors w/pliers,ect.), also never up the amps...very dangerous...like stated only a short will blow a fuse...so retrace your steps......don't need to fine pile of ash instead of your bike:badteeth: good luck
Dan

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Are you sure you got the right bulbs? It's not blowing with the 15A fuses but is with the 10A? If it is a short I would think that the 15A would blow as well...although it's possible it wouldn't. And you also stated that when you put the stock back in and the 10A fuse in they don't blow then either. I'd check the ratings on the bulbs just to be safe. That would be the easiest and quickest fix...if it's right then start looking for a short or other cause.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
like stated only a short will blow a fuse...
Dan
I may be mistaken but I believe overloading a fuse will blow it as well.

If you have a device that uses normally 10A, you want to install a larger fuse then that so you would install a 15A. However if you wanted to "beef up" said device to something that will use 20A you will burn/blow the fuse. But generally if you design a system that will run normally 10A and protect it with a 15A fuse, you will not size wires, etc. for the larger current/demand across that line. Which is why it's not a good idea to increase fuse size as previously stated in this thread.

·
13,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Im not sure what you mean the right bulbs....they are the right number H9 and H11, and others have order the same bulbs from this company and had no issues with there bike, the package says xenon Gas charged bulbs, 6000k. i got them from Star Lights

and yes when I put the 10amp back in with the stock bulbs no problems. Thats why I think it the bulbs, cause never had an issue and still dont until i put these new bulbs in.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Im not sure what you mean the right bulbs....they are the right number H9 and H11, and others have order the same bulbs from this company and had no issues with there bike, the package says xenon Gas charged bulbs, 6000k. i got them from Star Lights

and yes when I put the 10amp back in with the stock bulbs no problems. Thats why I think it the bulbs, cause never had an issue and still dont until i put these new bulbs in.
I believe the H9 and H11 is just the bulb "type" as in what type of socket it will fit in. I'm not 100% but I'm sure they have various choices of "lumen/wattage" bulbs you can choose from.

Are these them? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/H9-H11-Headlight-Bulbs-HID-Kawasaki-ZX10R-ZX-10R-06-09_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ35598QQitemZ380183689785

Maybe the others on the forum just increased their fuse rating too? Or maybe you got a bad set of bulbs? Or maybe it's something totally different.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
i put an 8k hid kit in and replaced my marker bulbs and had no problems at all....my would still be bulbs or remove bulbs and look into sockets to see if they're touching/shorting...mostly on the marker bulbs

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Up to this point I imagine it's not the wiring. I would rule that out and look more at the bulbs being bad or just to large of a load on the fuse. When I did my marker bulbs I remember the rating on them was a lot higher than the stock ones. Had me a little worried but haven't had any problems with them....well except for the fire....haha just kidding of course.

·
Premium Member
4,394 Posts
But the thing is, I have never had a issue with the fuses blowin until i put these new bulbs in, that are brighter, and when I put the stock bulbs back in she doesnt blow so you still think there is a short somewhere in the wires?
Brighter = more amp draw, there is no magic in this!

It sounds like the bulbs you put in are the source of the problem.

And I'm with everyone else on this: putting bigger fuses than the circuit is designed for is NOT the way to solve this and could cause a fire!

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
I would go back to stock...save up money and either install or have an HID kit installed. Our bikes aren't goldwings/bmw's designed with the extra accessories in mind...I don't think Kawi is overbuilding any circuits on these bikes more then they would have to.

Just my .02, I know everyone will have their own opinion.

·
Chairman of the Board
16,093 Posts
If someone can chime in on wire gauge size the load could be easily calculated. Im not sure what gauge size is, but the AWG charts show that 18 and even 16 gauge should handle 15 amps easily. Im not sure about the wattage/current capacity. Hopefully someone more electrically inclined than me can help. I think it should be fine myself. My $.02.

·
13,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If someone can chime in on wire gauge size the load could be easily calculated. Im not sure what gauge size is, but the AWG charts show that 18 and even 16 gauge should handle 15 amps easily. Im not sure about the wattage/current capacity. Hopefully someone more electrically inclined than me can help. I think it should be fine myself. My $.02.

thanks Or....any help is appreciated

·
Registered
41 Posts
Amps = Watts/Volts

So at 14v (high side) and 15 amps you should able to roughly support 210 watts on one circuit. Drop that back to 12v and you're looking at 180 watts. Now at 10 amps, the numbers drop to 140 and 120 respectively. Any more than that, and you'll be popping fuses.

If the wiring is in fact 16 or 18 ga, this should not be a concern. It sounds like the bulbs just require more current to operate as designed. (18ga should be safe to 16 amps, and 16 ga to about 22 amps)

Check the bulbs and see what they are rated.

Hope that helps.

·
13,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Amps = Watts/Volts

So at 14v (high side) and 15 amps you should able to roughly support 210 watts on one circuit. Drop that back to 12v and you're looking at 180 watts. Now at 10 amps, the numbers drop to 140 and 120 respectively. Any more than that, and you'll be popping fuses.

If the wiring is in fact 16 or 18 ga, this should not be a concern. It sounds like the bulbs just require more current to operate as designed. (18ga should be safe to 16 amps, and 16 ga to about 22 amps)

Check the bulbs and see what they are rated.

Hope that helps.

It does help and thank you....Im not sure what they are rated by I will try and find out

1 - 20 of 28 Posts