Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No matter what the cameras say, some drivers are refusing to pay dozens of $40 speeding fines. Who? Police officers.

In the last eight months of 2007, Montgomery Countys new speed cameras recorded 224 cases in which police vehicles were recorded traveling more than 10 mph over the speed limit, according to the department records.

Supervisors dismissed 76 of those citations after determining the officers were responding to calls or had valid reasons to break the speed limit.

But that left 148 who didnt have that excuse, and about two-thirds of those citations havent been paid, said police Lt. Paul Starks.

The police union says officers shouldnt pay because of the citations are issued to the owner of a vehicle, in this case the county, and not to the driver.

Police Chief Thomas Manger doesnt buy that argument.

"We are not above the law," Manger said. "It is imperative that the police dept. hold itself to the same standards that were holding the public to".

Manger said officers who continue to ignore citations might be disciplined.

Source: nextel news.

I for one am appauled at the police unions stance on this issue. They are not above the law, and should act accordingly. Good on the police chief to stand up.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Kinda shows the ratio of good cops vs bad ones on that force especially when they don't feel even the most petty of laws apply to them.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
I think those cases that are not in repsonse to a call should be held to the same laws as we are. I could care less if they are a police officer or not. They are not any better than you or me.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I have see police officers doing all kinds of things that would get me a ticket. I really hate to get tailgated by a cop car. I have followed some of them to see if they were responding. Most of the time they are not. It really makes me angry to see a cop talking on his cell phone and driving down the road. I think they should have to pay for speeding if they get busted.

·
Registered
880 Posts
I just paid one of those tickets in Montgomery County, Maryland back in January. Maybe I should have said "I'm a military Soldier. I shouldn't have to pay. My job allows you to have your job." HELL NO!!!! They would never let anyone else get away with it, so why should the cops. If they're wrong they need to pay the penalty just like everyone else.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
"We are not above the law," Manger said. "It is imperative that the police dept. hold itself to the same standards that were holding the public to".

Manger said officers who continue to ignore citations might be disciplined.

Good on the police chief to stand up.
good for him and saying they MIGHT?! be held responsible? MIGHT?!?!?! I dont exactly call that standing up.
No. He IS holding them responsible, but there MIGHT be disciplinary action involved. Very different statements.

Make 'em PAY!!!
:+1:

I dont think officers should be cited as civilians.
...But held accountable?

·
Accountant in training.
2,847 Posts
The police union says officers shouldnt pay because of the citations are issued to the owner of a vehicle, in this case the county, and not to the driver.
:lame: :bs:

I generally like and respect the police. But this "we are above the law because we enforce the law" is complete bs.....

Chris

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Bad cops no more donuts. :lol:

·
Registered
2,080 Posts

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
I dont think officers should be cited as civilians.
I agree, they should be held to a HIGHER standard as they are trusted with great power, like being able to ruin someone's life by making even an HONEST mistake, much less being abusive or something.

So they should be cited at least DOUBLE the amount, kind of like when you see the fines doubled when workers in area sign.

When you choose to tell people how to behave for a living, you shouldn't be a hypocrite about it.

And as a reminder, I have family and friends who are or were LEOs so I'm not just anti-cop.

One let me off for a pretty big brain fart just the other day.
It's just that the bad ones ruin things for us AND the good cops.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Kinda shows the ratio of good cops vs bad ones on that force especially when they don't feel even the most petty of laws apply to them.

So using your logic would you say that the private citizens that speed are bad citizens and the ones that don't are good???

I don't think I would measure who's a good cop vs who's a bad one off of speeding record...

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
On-duty is different from off-duty in my opinion. If they are speeding off-duty then by all means they should pay the fine. However, on-duty i don't give a sh*t about. maybe it's just me?

·
Registered
458 Posts
On-duty is different from off-duty in my opinion. If they are speeding off-duty then by all means they should pay the fine. However, on-duty i don't give a sh*t about. maybe it's just me?
:+1: how the hell do you expect them to catch us if they get ticketed just like we do :badteeth:

1 - 20 of 52 Posts