Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MCN has posted a teaser paragraph in advance of tomorrow's full report in which they state that the Honda is the "clear winner", at least until the new R1 hits the street. Even more discouraging is the result of their acceleration tests: the Honda, 10R and Gixxer 1000 are within .05 seconds of one another in the 1/4. Since the Honda is roughly 20 pounds heavier than the 10R, this would seem to indicate that it makes more power, or is easier to launch, or something.

My day has been ruined.

·
Registered
5 Posts
ZX-10R tops in power

I haven't read the full report yet, but there was a small comment about the dyno results in the teaser:

"Our bhp shootout gave top spot to Kawasaki’s ZX-10R… and the bike with the biggest torque remains the GSX-R1000."

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
I wouldn't slash my wrists just yet. It seems like several months ago that a lot of ZX10 fans were willing to accept that the Honda or the R1 might be labeled as the "best bike". Everyone cited "brand prejudice", "magazine bias", "advertising money spent". Whatever. Now that someone is actually going to put it into print, big deal.

I could easily see how the 1/4 mile times could be close. I do not doubt that the Honda is easier to launch. Look at just one fact. The top speeds in 1st gear. Honda 50 mph, kawasaki 100+ mph. How fast would the Honda be if it took off in 2nd gear? The ZX10 seems to be a "track day" focus bike. The Honda seems to have a more civilized personality. What do you want? Kawasaki is putting it out on the edge, if that isn't what you want, maybe you should look at some other choices.

If you were expecting the ZX10 to demonstrate a clear superiority in every possible area of comparison, then you may be disappointed.

Of course, this is just "my opinion" and you may feel free to disagree with anything I have said.

·
Registered
20 Posts
NinjaJoe said:
which means gixxer is da better street bike and ZX10 better track bike, Honda the loser bike but it can do it all so its the best bike....haha!
I think you're right on the money wth this one based on what the journos usually write about.

My feeling is that all these bikes are built to a cost, but Kawi provides the most features for the money (in particular the slipper clutch in addition to the DLC coated forks, superlight wheels and radial brakes/petal discs).

I for one plan on improving the performance with an aftermarket shock (Penske 8987), massaged fork internals, tuning the adjustable slipper clutch for on-track performance and adding a top-line steering damper (Ohlins or rotary).

Testing stock bikes is a snapshot of their performance in off-the-shelf trim. My bet is with only minimal aftermarket upgrades/investment (about $2000), the ZX-10R will be far and away the winner on track - which is what matters to me the most.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
well what did you expect :?: that the kawa would completely blow away the competition? Sure bikes are still getting better from one generation to the next. But it is all in very small steps. KHI just had a lot of catching up to do. The ZX10R was first reported to have 170 PS at the crank and then when the R1 came it suddenly had 175 PS (and a little raise of the compression ratio...). I think way back I posted here somewhere that I would be surprised if it had more than 151 HP at the rear wheel. Well no surprises. But I don't care, to me it still is one blinding roadbike, the only thing I miss (but only very slightly) is a radial master cylinder.
I am happy I've got mine down for april so I am not bothered about waiting from april on live will be very very green :) :) :) :D :D :D

·
Registered
262 Posts
I gotta say that i feel a bit disapointed with the what i've read today in Performace Bikes Mag (see other thread). maybe i was expecting to much from KHI (i think we were all hoping for something very speacial). but it seems that the blade and gixxer are still the better package..... :cry: :cry: :cry:

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
Mmmmmmm, i'm inclined to believe its like splitting hairs, and no doubt your gonna hear that as the tests roll out from every rag, but first impressions are note worthy and somehow leave the general public with whats voiced as gospel and its fair to say thats how we view them. My take on this comparo is the zx10 is on the edge much like the gixxer 7.5 was each and every year it was released. 'Hyper' comes to mind.

This is a huge step forward make no mistake about it! and when its taken to the track by the journos and tweeked my suspicions tell me its gonna 'rock da house' big time. but i could be wrong :(

BD

·
Registered
250 Posts
Big Daddy said:
Mmmmmmm, i'm inclined to believe its like splitting hairs, and no doubt your gonna hear that as the tests roll out from every rag, but first impressions are note worthy and somehow leave the general public with whats voiced as gospel and its fair to say thats how we view them. My take on this comparo is the zx10 is on the edge much like the gixxer 7.5 was each and every year it was released. 'Hyper' comes to mind.

This is a huge step forward make no mistake about it! and when its taken to the track by the journos and tweeked my suspicions tell me its gonna 'rock da house' big time. but i could be wrong :(

BD
I'd be less worried about which bike is the fastest, and more concerned with why the 10R was delayed until May.

·
Registered
155 Posts
CDRacingZX6R said:
Big Daddy said:

BD
I'd be less worried about which bike is the fastest, and more concerned with why the 10R was delayed until May.
tranny problems i say...

·
Registered
250 Posts
NinjaJoe said:
CDRacingZX6R said:
Big Daddy said:

BD
tranny problems i say...
I think your probably right. But if it is the Tranny its not just a detent spring like estimated. I got a feeling theres something bigger going on than let on.

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
I think everyone would agree that its faaaaar better late than taking posession and dealing with warranty, service dept issues.

BD

·
Registered
5 Posts
zeta xray said:
I do not doubt that the Honda is easier to launch. Look at just one fact. The top speeds in 1st gear. Honda 50 mph, kawasaki 100+ mph.
How did you come to the conclusion the 1000RR is tops out at 50 in 1st?

·
I really need to get out of the house
11,176 Posts
bidwell said:
zeta xray said:
I do not doubt that the Honda is easier to launch. Look at just one fact. The top speeds in 1st gear. Honda 50 mph, kawasaki 100+ mph.
How did you come to the conclusion the 1000RR is tops out at 50 in 1st?
Thats news to me too but then I haven't really paid too much attention to the Honda.

·
Registered
5 Posts
zeta xray said:
The Road Racing World magazine had very detailed specs including top speed in each gear for the CBR1000RR and the ZX-10R.
I think they are incorrect, it will hit 82.47 at redline in 1st and a little higher at the rev limiter:

((11650/1.604/2.538/2.563)X78))/(12X5280/60)=82.47mph

11650 is the engine redline in RPM, 1.604 is the primary reduction ratio, 2.538 is the 1st gear reduction ratio, 2.563 is the final reduction ratio, 78 is the circumference of a typical 190/50 rear tire in inches, 1056 converts inches per minute to MPH.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts