Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It shows how freaking good and close all the bikes are. I personally have liked the 1299 since it came out but like you said with the r1 track ecu I think they shouldn't have used the "s" as it's got lots of bits that drastically improve bike if I'm not mistaken ohlins semi active suspension is one.. I was also surprised bmw didn't smash the road section...

·
Registered
55 Posts
I would have to agree with most of what they're saying about the ZX10R, especially regarding the brakes. I thought the Brembo's would be great, but they are terrible, I find myself having to pull them a fraction early in anticipation of the delay in engagement.

I am lucky enough to own the 2016 ZX10R, 2015 R1 and 2016 S1000RR, recently sold my 2014 HP4. In my opinion the HP4 and RR are by far the best road bikes. Comfortable on longer rides, amazing engines that have power across the rev range and great brakes. The HP4's brakes are epic, but I could never get the best out of it on the track. I find it hard to move around on, but that might be too much time spent tracking an 1199s, which I could really monkey around on.

The R1 (not M) is now a lot better after I upgraded the suspension to ohlins and brakes to brembo t-drive discs and GP RR calipers. It performs well on the road though not great wind protection and dies in the low revs. It's currently my track bike of choice and apart from the snatchy throttle, which I am trying to sort with mapping, it performed great on it's first outing last week.

The ZX10R really impressed me on the road straight out of the box, very light to turn in, great feel from the front end and very stable, but as I said already the brakes are lacking. I'm running the Graves cat-delete and unrestricted mapping which have woken the power up a little from stock. I'm waiting for a full Akra system to arrive and I hope this unlocks some more power and evens out the delivery. If I can sort those brakes out I really think it will be better on the track than the R1, for me at least, because of that great feel through the front.

I have ridden a 1299 on the road and wasn't that impressed with the ride or the feel, but it does have a massive amount of torque. On the road it is a much more involving ride than the inline/cross plane 4's as you still have to watch your revs to get the most out of it, as with most v-twins I guess. Slow riding or in traffic it is a horrible bike as it puts out too much heat on your legs and hates the low revs. It also still suffers from the same clutch issues as the 1199 which requires regular bleeding or you lose the lever entirely.

Just my opinions of course, but if the Euro 4 playing field was even I imagine the ZX10R would be nearer the top. Hoping a brembo 19RCS will help with those brakes.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Truth be told... I almost went with a 1299 this year.

I had a hankering to try something different and my dad is still holding out on giving me his 996R so I was going to buy my own haha. I was between the 1299, The RSV4 RF, 2016 H2 and the new 10R. Ended up with the 10R haha. Not disappointed by any means either. Thus far.
you made the right choice. If was to buy a new bike it would be between r1 bmw and zx10. I want to experience that s1000 motor I know it's nuts. But the heat scares me. I actually went as far as asking Bren (ok I know I know lol) if they could turn down fan turn on but they said no one asked yet which I found hard to believe... The r1 is just so uncomfortable so that was a concern.

I would have to agree with most of what they're saying about the ZX10R, especially regarding the brakes. I thought the Brembo's would be great, but they are terrible, I find myself having to pull them a fraction early in anticipation of the delay in engagement.

I am lucky enough to own the 2016 ZX10R, 2015 R1 and 2016 S1000RR, recently sold my 2014 HP4. In my opinion the HP4 and RR are by far the best road bikes. Comfortable on longer rides, amazing engines that have power across the rev range and great brakes. The HP4's brakes are epic, but I could never get the best out of it on the track. I find it hard to move around on, but that might be too much time spent tracking an 1199s, which I could really monkey around on.

The R1 (not M) is now a lot better after I upgraded the suspension to ohlins and brakes to brembo t-drive discs and GP RR calipers. It performs well on the road though not great wind protection and dies in the low revs. It's currently my track bike of choice and apart from the snatchy throttle, which I am trying to sort with mapping, it performed great on it's first outing last week.

The ZX10R really impressed me on the road straight out of the box, very light to turn in, great feel from the front end and very stable, but as I said already the brakes are lacking. I'm running the Graves cat-delete and unrestricted mapping which have woken the power up a little from stock. I'm waiting for a full Akra system to arrive and I hope this unlocks some more power and evens out the delivery. If I can sort those brakes out I really think it will be better on the track than the R1, for me at least, because of that great feel through the front.

I have ridden a 1299 on the road and wasn't that impressed with the ride or the feel, but it does have a massive amount of torque. On the road it is a much more involving ride than the inline/cross plane 4's as you still have to watch your revs to get the most out of it, as with most v-twins I guess. Slow riding or in traffic it is a horrible bike as it puts out too much heat on your legs and hates the low revs. It also still suffers from the same clutch issues as the 1199 which requires regular bleeding or you lose the lever entirely.

Just my opinions of course, but if the Euro 4 playing field was even I imagine the ZX10R would be nearer the top. Hoping a brembo 19RCS will help with those brakes.
Good write up. My local shop sells every brand except Aprila and Suzuki so I get to compare most bikes and when I was looking at 1299 the sales guy (a friend) said "AANND ducati outfitted it with a built in heater" lol. I hear it roasts your inner thigh on one side pretty bad (maybe both sides I can't remember) I do love the looks though..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts