Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
I looked into it myself. They are definitely prices right. But I went with a well know/used brand because I know there are people that have proven success with them. I could only find a few people that carried matris fork cartridges or even had them. When shopping for fork parts keep in mind who is going to do the work. Are you going to do it yourself or have them installed? Also does the person doing the work have experience with your product and can they help with setup and service. I would say look into Traxxion AK-20s. They are a little more but there are tons of people that have them and easy to find help for. Contact Superbike Supply as them gave me a great price when I was looking for them.

·
Custom Powder Coater
6,560 Posts
I have there sterring damper M4R, Its top notch works great nothin leaking in a couple years i had it.
Got it from www.oncycles.com

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I looked into it myself. They are definitely prices right. But I went with a well know/used brand because I know there are people that have proven success with them. I could only find a few people that carried matris fork cartridges or even had them. When shopping for fork parts keep in mind who is going to do the work. Are you going to do it yourself or have them installed? Also does the person doing the work have experience with your product and can they help with setup and service. I would say look into Traxxion AK-20s. They are a little more but there are tons of people that have them and easy to find help for. Contact Superbike Supply as them gave me a great price when I was looking for them.
You brought up some interesting topics that I need to think about. The price for the Matris is really hard to beat.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I 've never heard of these prior to this post. Due to the attractive price. I did a little research. I found a lot of references on various forums, but mostly there were only questions; no answers. I found a few bad mouthing them, but they didn't offer any real information. None really claimed to own, just that they heard they were no good.

I contacted a vendor selling these and asked several questions including available spring rates and valving options. Their response was "Per Matris the fork cartridge kit is set up for a medium sized person about 165-185lbs; we do not have the option of switching this out."

Based on this information I have eliminated these as an option. They sound like a nice product and the price is right, but with lack of knowledge and parts they could be an expensive paperweight.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Yeah I was in the exact same boat. I liked the price of them but couldn't find anyone "really" using them. When I was searching all I could find were sellers unloadings these cartridges and no real talk of them being installed. I got lucky and scored some ohlins cartridges for cheap. But to the point fork servicing is straight forward for the most part. I have a write up I need to post on the topic. If you are not against spending $200ish on the right tools you can do an install yourself. Either way go with what you think will suit your needs and abilities best. Price sometimes can come back to bit you.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have decided that I am sending my stock forks out to be re-valved with an aftermarket spring. Based on my riding, mostly street 5-10 track days a year, this is the best option for me and cheapest (approx. $700). I have been told from numerous people that the handling characteristics of my bike will be drastically changed with having my stock forks reworked as I described.

O yeah, I 100% agree with you guys Matris has no buyer feedback whatsoever. It would definitely be a gamble to make this purchase.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Does anyone know how lnog this company has been around??

·
Registered
609 Posts
All this suspension talk is giving me the itch. I talked to the guy that I got my penske shock from last year and he can do the forks with penske internals installed for less than the matris deal, so I think I'm going that way. AK look nice, but $$$ are tight. I was also considering race tech DIY, but the money difference for labor to get penske done by someone that does this daily seems like good value.

·
Registered
57 Posts
My Matris forks cartridges should be installed by next week latest on my 05 ZX10...

i have a track day coming up at Kyalami on the 31st of Jan...
i hope to have them installed by then, so then i will give some feedback afterwards...

will take me a few sessions to set them up nicely for my riding style, setting up the preload and damping, but im sure ill get it right during the day...

a buddy of mine has full matris front forks on his Suzuki 1000....
but that is his first bike so he cant really tell me any differences between stock and the Matris...
ill take his bike for some laps soon and will also give feedback...

·
Registered
57 Posts
nice to hear that somebody is willing to test these out
i think that with the way suspension technology has advanced, we cant go wrong with any of the after market suspension brands....be it Ohlins, WP, Matris, Showa etc...

all of them should def be better than the stock suspension....

but yeah once its in, ill give some feedback form Kyalami, and i should do Phakisa (old Moto Gp track here is SA) in feb hopefully and will give some feedback there as well....

Kyalami is a lot like Laguna Seca in that it has a lotta uphills and downhills and twists....
Phakisa was built purely for Moto Gp in 2000 i think so its very flat and fast...

·
Registered
57 Posts
cool cool...will do :)

lets see...
previous best laptime at Kyalami is a 2min04 dead...(WSBK guys did 1min39's ha ha)
and previous best at Phakisa is a 1min55.1 ... (old moto gp 500cc recorded 1min32's)

so i shall keep u guys updated as and when the track days happen....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts