Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this could be in the pics section, but I really want to know.
Me and my bro-in-law are both engineers and we have different answers..

we differ on what "i" is....

:beer:

Attachments

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
V=IR

where I = current! :eyecrazy: :rotflmao:

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
It would have to mean imaginary. Reason being that his summation is for the variable n. Also he does not have that term paired with a summation sign .

You two are engineers and couldn't figure his out?!?!?! I'm an aerospace.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I'd agree it was the imaginary number "i". Interestingly, the last part would read "sum of all (n=1 to infinity) equations where 1 is divided by two times n". Since "n" is infinite, the equation effectively becomes zero. However, since it's also an infinite sum, it's also an infinite number! Translation - it's a check for an unlimited amount of money.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Rock_Star said:
I know this could be in the pics section, but I really want to know.
Me and my bro-in-law are both engineers and we have different answers..

we differ on what "i" is....

:beer:

Well, it is a feeble attempt at mathematical formulation but this is how it reads:

.0002 + e (unknown variable) to the power of the inverse of pi + 1/2 the sum of infinity.

Since infinity can't be halved (because it goes on forever) the whole formula is bogus, that and the undefined variable of 'e'.:rolleyes:

But it looks like some one is being charged wrongfully on their cell phone bill and has a unique and ironic way of showing it. Bet Verizon spent some time trying to determine if they could cash this check.:crackup:

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
rabbit said:
I'd agree it was the imaginary number "i". Interestingly, the last part would read "sum of all (n=1 to infinity) equations where 1 is divided by two times n". Since "n" is infinite, the equation effectively becomes zero. However, since it's also an infinite sum, it's also an infinite number! Translation - it's a check for an unlimited amount of money.
Close but not completely correct. The summation term is an infinite series that quickly becomes vanishingly small (ie. 1/2+1/4+1/8+1/16). Therefore it approaches the value of one. However with the e^imaginary number, that means it it not necessarily an infinite amount. It means that it is simply an undefinied amount.

By the way, not trying to be an ass. I'm just using a little bit of this edumacation that I have in arithmatic.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
pr0phet00 said:
Since infinity can't be halved (because it goes on forever) the whole formula is bogus, that and the undefined variable of 'e'.:rolleyes:

QUOTE]

e isn't a variable. e^1 = 2.718.

I do agree its a crappy mathematical attempt though! :thumbsup:

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
So even if some smartass came up with a figure for infinity and the imaginary unit being the price of the bill, the check would still be void as the amount would be to 3 decimal places atleast (0.002 cents).

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Rockstar, can you get me a job? I'd be up for moving to Florida. I went to Embry Riddle for a while and would like to go back down that way. Lockheed would work for me. Let me know about a possible hook up now. I'm graduating soon!!!

·
Registered
777 Posts
axo250 said:
Close but not completely correct. The summation term is an infinite series that quickly becomes vanishingly small (ie. 1/2+1/4+1/8+1/16). Therefore it approaches the value of one.
By "approaching zero" I was referring to the iteration of the equation at infinity, the same as your statemnet "vanishingly small". You are correct though, I did misread it. I saw "two times n" instead of "two to the nth power" which would make it approach one and not infinity.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts