Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

Masterlick removal on factory chain, help

2K views 25 replies 16 participants last post by  Deer Elk 
#1 ·
I want to clean my chain, how is the master link removed? Is the masterlink reusable?
ty

#4 ·
yes riveted and you can go get a new rivet master link. not very expensive. but cleaning while on the bike isn't bad at all if you got a rear stand.

two ways of getting that link off is to grind down the rivets or just use bolt cutters. the bolt cutters makes light work of it. just make sure you only cut the master link.

#5 ·
Has anyone used Korseen to clean up a chain?? A buddy of my recomended it to me....I haven't tried it yet though:dontknow:

#7 ·
What's Korseen? Googled it and couldn't find a thing. If you mean kerosene, then yea that's good for cleaning chains BUT it's smelly as hell. WD-40 is the way to go. Don't need a whole bunch. BTW, got to be careful of the o-rings in the chain as some solvents are not too good on them. :thumbsup:

#8 ·
:lol: Yeah..thats it Kerosene...busy here at work..Guess i need to use spell check more often:badteeth::thumbsup:

#12 ·
Yea i just got my new front and rear stands in from EBAY, they are f*** sturdy and built well for 100 shipped for both. But i just cleaned it as well as the sprocket with a parts cleaner solution that i have, not like a brake cleaner but it should be fine, worked really good, then i hit it out with compressed air until it was dry. Diesel would have been good to

#13 ·
i was told wd-40 works great just not to spary directly on the chain as there are propulsion solvents that are harmful to the rings, so spray it on the rag or tooth brush first but then again everybody has there own methods for cleaning too!

#14 ·
yeah WD-40 will eat the grease thats in with the O Rings, and cause your chain to wear out even faster, there was a big thread on this issue a while ago search and all sorts of threads will come up and you can read all about what to use and what not to use, kerosene is the best thing to use and prob one of the cheaper ways to clean it a gallon will go a long way...

#15 ·
WD-40 is mostly kerosene. There's no harm in using it to clean chains either. It doesn't do damage to the O-rings. I used WD-40 and a good scrub followed by maxima chain wax ~ every 500 miles on my 636 with the stock chain and it had 20000 miles on it when I got rid of it. It has about 23000 on it now and still has room for adjustment.

#19 ·
my chain needed to be cleaned bad, had about 8,000 since it looked cleaned and i oil every 300 miles or so. i used the solvent on a rag and wiped the chain clean then used compressed air to dry it, the solvent is like a kerosene based, and worked great for me the chain looks brand new and the sprocket does as well. I use the AMSOIL HD metal protector for my chain it works awesome.

#20 ·
Just my :2cents: so take it for what it is worth....I use chain lube to protect and wd on a tooth brush to clean; however, a good friend of mine's dad has ridden for years (like 33 to be exact). He has currently a triumph (not sure what model) and an R6. The 2003 R6 has 42,XXX miles on it. He has always cleaned and lubed his chains by spraying WD-40 straight on the chains. He changes his chains less than I do.:dontknow:

Just thought I would share. I don't know what is best.:beer2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.