Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How does one know what ratio master cylinder is the one needed or the one that is best, or if one will work at all?

I have a Gen 1, 2004. I have just bought new ZX6 calipers and also want to buy an MC before putting the whole lot on.

Theres a few on ebay, ZX6, Brembo, Nissin, but how do I know which is the right one, or indeed which will work?

For instance there is a Brembo MC which is 19x18. What exactly does that refer to and would it work on my system?

Cheers :cool:

·
Registered
52 Posts
brembo=the 19 means the diameter of the mc is 19mm the 18 is the amount of setting u have, its a screw that adjustests the amount of travel in the lever, it will work savage iv got a brembo 19x18 on my 10r 07 only thing you will need is a pressure switche banjo as they are race spec the dont come with a brake switche build in, tho the new stock from brembo now have a microswitche built in, hope this helps!

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Many thanks :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
brembo=the 19 means the diameter of the mc is 19mm the 18 is the amount of setting u have, its a screw that adjustests the amount of travel in the lever, it will work savage iv got a brembo 19x18 on my 10r 07 only thing you will need is a pressure switche banjo as they are race spec the dont come with a brake switche build in, tho the new stock from brembo now have a microswitche built in, hope this helps!

What do you mean the new stock from Brembo? Did they revise the MC?

I have a Gen 1 and am looking to do the same as this guy.

·
All show and all go 10r
5,921 Posts
Only the rcs has the micro switch and it's ok not great. Piston sizes are a preference. I believe the stock nissin on the newer ones are 16x18. I use a 19x20 because I use 2 finger braking and want very little travel. Basically the higher the ratio the less travel required for maximum braking.

·
Gen 5 Now!!
1,130 Posts
:+1: i have the 19x20 billet mc and i f-in sweet. although there was nothing wrong with the 08 stock mc so i put it on my gen1
Only the rcs has the micro switch and it's ok not great. Piston sizes are a preference. I believe the stock nissin on the newer ones are 16x18. I use a 19x20 because I use 2 finger braking and want very little travel. Basically the higher the ratio the less travel required for maximum braking.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
18 is not technically the amount of setting you have. Its the length from the pivot center. The further out the harder you have to pull but the lever will travel less to equate the same force. The lower the number the easier the lever to pull but more travel is required. But everything else you said is true. Personally if I were to go Brembo 19x20. I like less travel.

·
Registered
43 Posts
How does one know what ratio master cylinder is the one needed or the one that is best, or if one will work at all?

I have a Gen 1, 2004. I have just bought new ZX6 calipers and also want to buy an MC before putting the whole lot on.

Theres a few on ebay, ZX6, Brembo, Nissin, but how do I know which is the right one, or indeed which will work?

For instance there is a Brembo MC which is 19x18. What exactly does that refer to and would it work on my system?

Cheers :cool:
Note, that if you consider switching to a radial master cylinder (new bikes) the cable routing from the throttle drum will be incorrect as the cables need to exit the top of the throttle drum. If you choose the radial master you will have to remove the brake switch to route your cables, then as mentioned previously you will have to add a inline pressure switch.

The stock 2004 has a 14mm diameter piston not 19 like the modern units. Look for a ZX-7R master as it had a .625 inch diameter piston so you get more volume for each mm of travel and it is a straight bolt on.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Note, that if you consider switching to a radial master cylinder (new bikes) the cable routing from the throttle drum will be incorrect as the cables need to exit the top of the throttle drum. If you choose the radial master you will have to remove the brake switch to route your cables, then as mentioned previously you will have to add a inline pressure switch.

The stock 2004 has a 14mm diameter piston not 19 like the modern units. Look for a ZX-7R master as it had a .625 inch diameter piston so you get more volume for each mm of travel and it is a straight bolt on.
So a master cyclinder off of a zx14 will not work? I thought it had the same one as an 07 and new zx6r.

·
Licensed Dist of HaterAde
11,423 Posts
So a master cyclinder off of a zx14 will not work? I thought it had the same one as an 07 and new zx6r.
Yes it will work, a zx6 will work, almost any radial master will fit on AND greatly improve the braking on the first gen, trust me......:helmet:

·
Registered
52 Posts
18 is not technically the amount of setting you have. Its the length from the pivot center. The further out the harder you have to pull but the lever will travel less to equate the same force. The lower the number the easier the lever to pull but more travel is required. But everything else you said is true. Personally if I were to go Brembo 19x20. I like less travel.
and thats what i said! its the amount of travel!! so if you have it 'set' on 15 it travels futher than if it was 'set' on 18!! hens that is why a said setting!!
good call tho from a below post about the throt cables if they are not up and over you could run into trouble when i done the brembo on my old zx7r i swapped the cable out for a zx6r's so it was up and over and not out and under as it fowled with the double banjo and extra lenght of the pressure switch, i did hear of people adjusting the kill switch and throt housing just a bit so it will work with the out and under set up.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Damn, I never realised about the throttle cables. I have a 09 ZX6R radial arriving soon to go on my gen 1. Hmmmm.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Damn, I never realised about the throttle cables. I have a 09 ZX6R radial arriving soon to go on my gen 1. Hmmmm.
dont panic it will work you will just have to pinch a bit with the right hand switch gear open the retaining screws a little and you will get enought play to get the mc lever at a nice finger level

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
and thats what i said! its the amount of travel!! so if you have it 'set' on 15 it travels futher than if it was 'set' on 18!! hens that is why a said setting!!
good call tho from a below post about the throt cables if they are not up and over you could run into trouble when i done the brembo on my old zx7r i swapped the cable out for a zx6r's so it was up and over and not out and under as it fowled with the double banjo and extra lenght of the pressure switch, i did hear of people adjusting the kill switch and throt housing just a bit so it will work with the out and under set up.
You still do not comprehend. 18 is a fixed distance. On standard master cylinders its non adjustable. What you are thinking of is distance from lever to handlebar. Completely different. The only master from brembo that has an adjustable pivot is the RCS19 where you can adjust from 18-20. So no the 18 is not the amount of settings nor (on standard brembo radial master cylinders) is it adjustable.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
dont panic it will work you will just have to pinch a bit with the right hand switch gear open the retaining screws a little and you will get enought play to get the mc lever at a nice finger level
Including using the standard ZX6 brake light switch? :dontknow:

·
Registered
52 Posts
You still do not comprehend. 18 is a fixed distance. On standard master cylinders its non adjustable. What you are thinking of is distance from lever to handlebar. Completely different. The only master from brembo that has an adjustable pivot is the RCS19 where you can adjust from 18-20. So no the 18 is not the amount of settings nor (on standard brembo radial master cylinders) is it adjustable.
right so the adjuster screw that's on my brembo gp radial really isn't there and I can't turn it 18 clicks from closed to fully open to adjust the amount of travel!?? wow my eyes must be painted on lol

·
Licensed Dist of HaterAde
11,423 Posts
right so the adjuster screw that's on my brembo gp radial really isn't there and I can't turn it 18 clicks from closed to fully open to adjust the amount of travel!?? wow my eyes must be painted on lol
The adjuster knob is there to simply adjust the play in the lever is all. Plain n simple. As the mc or fluid heats up then you may need to back off it a little bit but on the brembo #'s...the first is the piston size and the 2nd is the amount of travel that can be let into the lever. Or something like that :)

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Ok so if the number means you have 18 clicks that means the only difference between the 19x18 and the 19x20 is two extra clicks????? I didn't know the lever position knob clicked I thought it turned smoothly!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Just so you know if you take the centerline of the piston shaft and measure from that to the hole where the lever pivots on I bet that measurement is 18mm on a 19x18. Also I bet you it would be 20mm on a 19x20. Let me get a picture together.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts