Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. Hoping someone can help. Any idea why my front wheel spacer would be like this? My wheel bearings need replacing and found my spacers like this. Would this somehow be the result of bad bearings?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
769 Posts
My spacers developed small grooves as well. I ride all year in very dirty conditions and I thinks it's just grit that gets trapped there.

Reactions: Shahwales

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,715 Posts
Those grooves are a bit deeper than normal, but everyone has wear marks from that. It's from the dust seal lip rubbing it. The rubber dust seal rotates with the wheel while the spacer is stationary. It's not from bad bearings. Looks like yours have not been cleaned or greased in a while as you have a deep wear groove. Mostly that area just gets polished from the rotation.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ah cool. Was worried for a bit. I did buy a new spacer off fleabay as I don't want to chuck this back in

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
374 Posts
Having been around polymer manufacturing, both thermoform and thermoset you wouldn't believe how abrasive plastic and rubber compounds can be against metals. Combine that with some trapped road debris and extended run time between a tire change and soon enough metal will give up the fight with little fuss.

As long as your wheel grease is still retained behind the seal you're probably ok to ride on.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Seen worse. :)

But good call on replacing it... the spacers are actually hard coated/anodized..... once the wear gets through the first .005" or so of material the damage is catastrophic and will accelerate until the seal no longer keeps debris out. That's not life threatening, but it will let crap slowly get into the bearings and cause wear after a prolonged period of time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts