Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've got an opportunity to grab a set of 5 spoke, forged alloy Marchesini's at a really good price.

I want to buy them but they won't come with the rear sprocket carrier and they also don't come with the front and rear disc carriers or wheel spacers either, basically just the rims.

They are 3.5x17 and 6x17 so size seems ok, they are either an older style of race wheel or something like the KTM RC8 original fitment Marchi's, they look the same as the one's pictured.

My question is where would I buy the carriers needed to fit these up, anyone know a good place to get these parts and would it be worth buying the rims if I need all of that? I don't want to buy them and then find out I can't get them on the bike without custom making everything.

Attachments

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,541 Posts
I have no idea. Quite frankly, I can't say the word "Marchesini" properly. Don't know if it should sound like "Marshmallow" or "Marching Band". :dontknow: I can offer you nothing in response to your question other than those wheels look fooking bad-ass! :drool:

·
Registered
459 Posts
Try these guys there a distributor in AU Link International Pty Ltd
1. Emeri Street Stapylton
4207 Queensland

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have no idea. Quite frankly, I can't say the word "Marchesini" properly. Don't know if it should sound like "Marshmallow" or "Marching Band". :dontknow: I can offer you nothing in response to your question other than those wheels look fooking bad-ass! :drool:
:lol:...I know, I'm tempted to buy them and just suss it after, then I just have to make them work... but I'm trying to be sensible...sensible doesn't suit me though :badteeth:

:hello:Have ya looked on the Marchesini's website maybe they might have stuff listed for it:dontknow:
I'll have another look, the issue is they don't still sell this particular rim anymore though, so that makes it a bit harder for me.

Try these guys there a distributor in AU Link International Pty Ltd
1. Emeri Street Stapylton
4207 Queensland
Good point, I actually know the SA rep for them so I'll see what he says, I'll buzz him tomorrow.

I guess I'm just trying to see if anyone has ever had issues sourcing these bits before or if they are bulk cash to purchase.

I can chase it all up tomorrow but I know there are Marchi owners on here that must have gone through something similar before.

I might ring Motionlogics to and see if Stuart feels like putting his engineering hat on.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thats the newer set I reckon, I am unsure if they run the same carriers or what the deal is between there rims.

I'd think if the new rims are the same width as these ones then whatever the carriers are on these should match the offset on mine...maybe.

Somewhere there has to be a guide as to what I need.

Looks like we'll all learn something which is always cool :mrgreen:

I'll make some calls, if all else fails I'll just drop them off with my techs and say "make that sh!t work" they'll suss it but I'll be blind as to what the end cost will be.

Petty sure I'll need:

wheel bearings
sprocket carrier
cush drive
disc carriers, x2 front and x1 rear
(the issue here is which ones, what offset is needed, again may need to be custom)
wheel spacers front and rear,
(which is another bit I think may need to be custom made)
discs, disc bolts and abs/traction sensor rings
plus some tyres and valves

starts adding up.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I also do not know the Answer to your Question- But wanted to reply with this info that you may allready know? or Will not matter to you? :)

Im not sure what our stock wheels weight is but supposably the difference is Minimal
with these unless going to Carbon fiber wheels. Anything is a + with roatating unsprung weight but if you have not checked into that, then ya might wanna.

on a side note: I'd love to them on your bike :mrgreen:

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I am interested too,,, this guy has them on a 2012 in Taiwan:

http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=112631
See he would have done it easy but expensive.

Because he bought new you just say I'll have a set for this bike and they rock up with every other little part good to go.

Mine have none of those bits with them as they have come off a CBR1000RR and the bits where kept by the previous owner, sooooo...if my older Marchies are the same as the new ones, as in I can just bolt on the modern carriers then I'm laughing, but it sounds to easy for one of my projects.

I also do not know the Answer to your Question- But wanted to reply with this info that you may allready know? or Will not matter to you? :)

Im not sure what our stock wheels weight is but supposably the difference is Minimal
with these unless going to Carbon fiber wheels. Anything is a + with roatating unsprung weight but if you have not checked into that, then ya might wanna.

on a side note: I'd love to them on your bike :mrgreen:
Forged Mag,,, significant weight reduction:
•All Marchesini rear wheels require a Marchesini specific sprocket.
•Approximate Weight: Front 6lbs., Rear 7.75lbs.

http://www.motosport.com/motorcycle/MARCHESINI-FORGED-MAGNESIUM-SBK-FRONTREAR-WHEEL-COMBO-WITH-SPROCKET-CARRIER

Our Price: $3995.00
lol

Looks like NO crush drive is used...
I've heard this before yes, but I've also heard and felt what they feel like on other rides.

From my understanding, which is limited on this, the majority off the loss in weight is in the outer of the rims which gyroscopically would have a massive effect in accelleration, change of direction and braking.

The sharpest bikes I've riden have been shod with light weight wheels, it will be interesting to see what I think, I've heard people say it has made such an impact that they have changed gearing due to changed shift points and increased acceleration. We could only be talking about a few meters of difference here into each corner but that adds up over race distance, on the road it'd be borderline pointless. I'd love to see that big an improvement but I'm not expecting it, you'd have to be already right on the edge to really notice that much of a difference. Either way they look factory as [email protected]! Yeeew!

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The wheels above look like the Aluminum ones Not the Magnesium.
This'll confuse ya.

The pic is of Magnesium ones.

The ones I'm looking to grab are identical looking down to the sticker except
the ones I'm getting are apparently alloy.

It'll be funny if he has magnesium ones and thinks they are alloy though, it'll be bargain cetral for me if they are.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I have a set of front carriers that I am not using...if they can work for you,I can take measurments....I would sell them to you for half of new + shipping.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have a set of front carriers that I am not using...if they can work for you,I can take measurments....I would sell them to you for half of new + shipping.
I may have found a new best friend...:lol:

That'd be great mate, very much appreciated!

PM me some details on them if and when you get a chance :eek:ccasion1

·
All show and all go 10r
5,921 Posts
The wheels on the Taiwan thread are galespeed not marchesini. Marchesini's website I'm sure will be a complete waste of time for a response. I remember trying to contact BST and nothing.

You will need to contact a supplier/dealer. Motomummy, hard racing, Oppracing to name a few.

·
Registered
383 Posts
What race class are u in? Even In FX OZ over this way in the open class race what u brung, no magnesium or CF wheels allowed...

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What race class are u in? Even In FX OZ over this way in the open class race what u brung, no magnesium or CF wheels allowed...
Unlimited 1000cc, State titles.

If you can afford it in theory you can run it, but these wheels are alloy anyways.

Most guys seem to run close to ASBK in terms of parts set up, Brembo master, Ohlins cartridge front, Ohlins rear shock or similar, QS's and such, just minus all the internal engine work and set up an Australian Super Bike would have.

There are some super expensive set ups getting around though that go beyond that, that's for sure! COUGH Ducati fan boys.

If I where to run in the FX classes then yeah I wouldn't run the Marchies but I reckon that rules crap cos I could go buy a euro bike and then run them as factory standard equiptment so it should be even stevens in that sense, but it isn't.

Mind you when I'm 20+ kg up on half the field I doubt the rims could be blamed as the reason for me getting a win over someone else.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts