Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at putting a slip on exhaust on my 2020 zx10r, but the Yoshimura Alpha has a cat eliminating pipe. Is a fuel adjustment/mapping recommended? If so, any recommendations?
New to sport bikes, I've always worked on Harleys. Looking forward to learning these bikes.

Yoshimura Alpha Race Slip-On Exhaust Kawasaki ZX10R 2016-2020

·
Registered
49 Posts
send ECU in for flash if you're not a DIY'er. Otherwise order a Woolich kit and flash it yourself. You'll want to do this anyway. Really wakes the bike up.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Factory ECU is set at 70% throttle even when you are at WOT - at least on the GEN 2 ECU - and at least that is what I found when mine was on the dyno

·
Registered
33 Posts
Looking at putting a slip on exhaust on my 2020 zx10r, but the Yoshimura Alpha has a cat eliminating pipe. Is a fuel adjustment/mapping recommended? If so, any recommendations?
New to sport bikes, I've always worked on Harleys. Looking forward to learning these bikes.

Yoshimura Alpha Race Slip-On Exhaust Kawasaki ZX10R 2016-2020
Oh and as soon as you eliminate the cat your bottom end will be terrible - and depending on the slip on it might have the same effect. Both with definitely affect the bottom.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,772 Posts
Throwing on a slip-on and mid-pipe won't affect much on the bike, but won't gain you anything either. All you'll really be doing is losing a bunch of weight and changing the sounds. You'll need to get it tuned to see any performance gains, and it won't be much in terms of that.

Reflash the ECU as mentioned already. If you know what you're doing, then you'll have access to a lot of different things. The advantage of the newer bikes is that there is a lot more controlled by the ECU and able to be changed. The restrictions for and ride-by-wire can all be tweaked to your liking. The other option is to send the ECU to someone who does that sort of thing to get you better than it is now with all that stuff.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,772 Posts
Factory ECU is set at 70% throttle even when you are at WOT - at least on the GEN 2 ECU - and at least that is what I found when mine was on the dyno
This really isn't accurate. The Gen 5 uses ride-by-wire with the restrictions in the ETV map itself. The computer opens the throttle when you ask it to and it thinks you can do that safely. The Gen 2 doesn't have anything like that. The topspeed restrictions for the Gen 2/3/4 were controlled by rolling back the fueling some and closing the secondary butterfly vales in the throttlebodies, but only at high RPM in 6th gear. On the Gen 2, if you twist the throttle to the stop, then the primaries are directly controlled by the throttle cables and open fully. The secondaries are controlled by the ECU and can be tuned some through a reflash. But the lower gears don't have that restriction for closing them and just manage the power application going to full throttle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info. I intend on flashing the ECU. Financially I was going to do the exhaust first and then the ECU later, but I was concerned the bike would start running rough or lean without the flash.

I understand the tune is what gets any noticeable changes to power, but as far as running smooth with only the exhaust/midpipe right now?

·
Registered
49 Posts
you MAY notice a rough idle and possibly a little loss in the lower rpm without the flash, but honestly, you can still put the pipe on and so long as you do plan to get a flash at some point to take advantage of it (and everything else you get with the flash) you'll be fine.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,772 Posts
Thanks for the info. I intend on flashing the ECU. Financially I was going to do the exhaust first and then the ECU later, but I was concerned the bike would start running rough or lean without the flash.

I understand the tune is what gets any noticeable changes to power, but as far as running smooth with only the exhaust/midpipe right now?
Yes, it will run just fine just slapping the pipe on. It will still run wayyyyy better than the Hardley's you're used to! ;) :p

1 - 10 of 10 Posts