Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've got a couple questions in relation to my power commander 3. I downloaded the closest map to my set up from power commanders website and uploaded it to my power commander. The mod list for that map is akrapovic slip ons and stock or aftermarket air filter. My current setup has no catalytic converter, exhaust servo removed, bmc race filter, dual akrapovic slip ons, all emissions removed (haven't done PAIR block off plates yet), TRE, 1/6th throttle tube and regeared -1 +1. I would think my a/f ratio would be lean due to the air filter and no cats/emissions, right? Since I can't afford a custom tune right now, I figure I'll try manually tuning the map I have uploaded. I turned the midrange up 2 bars and the added 2 bars to the high range. I took the bike out on the freeway and took it through the gears and it definitely felt like it had more power and didn't lag in the shifts like it was doing.
Does anyone have any experience or advice with manually tuning a map on the power commander using the buttons on the faceplate?
Will running rich cause damage? I don see flames or excessive popping so I don't think it's excessively rich?

·
Registered
836 Posts
Pc iii

It was having a thing with the 3 buttons push together and manual adjustment of low, mid and high range.

But can't remember where I saw that. Don't try this before founding the real method.

About running riche there's no harm to the motor except not too good performance, high consumption and if you go too far plug fool and black smoke...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was having a thing with the 3 buttons push together and manual adjustment of low, mid and high range.

But can't remember where I saw that. Don't try this before founding the real method.

About running riche there's no harm to the motor except not too good performance, high consumption and if you go too far plug fool and black smoke...
I manually tuned it via those 3 buttons, like you are referring to. I heard somewhere that each bar represents a 5% increase in fuel, does that sound right to anyone? Performance only seems to have gotten better, doesn't feel so "gutless". Hitting the powerband is much more pronounced and noticeable

·
Registered
257 Posts
I manually tuned it via those 3 buttons, like you are referring to. I heard somewhere that each bar represents a 5% increase in fuel, does that sound right to anyone? Performance only seems to have gotten better, doesn't feel so "gutless". Hitting the powerband is much more pronounced and noticeable
How'd you know how much to change?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Using the buttons on the front to tune the PCIII really defeats the entire premise of having a Powercommander. The buttons alter such a wide range of fueling that the resolution of the actual map is lost.

If you notice Dynojet actually went away from having the button option on the newer PCV units.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok so I just called the guys over at power commander and they have awesome over the phone tech support.

The guy I spoke with informed me that each bar on the power commander represents a 2% increase for sportbikes and 5% increase for Harley's. He also said that the bmc race filter, exhaust servo delete, and taking the emissions crap out leans out your a/f ratio. He said just keep making small incremental increases until it runs bad and then you take a step back or until it feels perfect. Apparently you can adjust your map how you like it, then save it to your computer and get more "tune ability". He recommended that you only adjust the mid and high range as messing with your low end (below 4k) could mess with your idle. I will report back as I try to manually tune my bike lol but so far I have increased the mid and high range by 4% which the tech guy said was normal for how lean i was running. Bike feels way better already!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Using the buttons on the front to tune the PCIII really defeats the entire premise of having a Powercommander. The buttons alter such a wide range of fueling that the resolution of the actual map is lost.

If you notice Dynojet actually went away from having the button option on the newer PCV units.
I don't have the funds for a custom tune at the moment so I'm just trying to make it better than what it is. I've added 4% fuel in my mid(4-8k) and high(8-12.5) range and the bike runs much smoother and stronger

·
Registered
1,082 Posts

and if you notice they have just come out with another unit that has the buttons back lol.

http://www.powercommander.com/powercommander/Products/PCFC/powercommander_pcfc.aspx

·
Registered
836 Posts
Jstamm33 How do you proceed with the 3 buttons thing

Just forget since 2004.

Did I rmember well:

1- Push the 3 buttons until it flash
2- push the mid range and each time you hit the button 1 bar increase ???
3- How I go down ? using the 3 buttons or did I need to go back to the map and modify it ?

How to ?

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
and if you notice they have just come out with another unit that has the buttons back lol.

http://www.powercommander.com/powercommander/Products/PCFC/powercommander_pcfc.aspx

Yes a cheap slimmed down version not capable of running any accessories targeted at the budget minded who are too cheap to ever have a proper map made or purchase an AutoTune etc and sold solely through LeMans group.

The fact they omitted the button feature from their flagship model is pretty telling.

·
Supercharged Mod
4,391 Posts
"Magma red" = 2005 model = gen 1 = what I have.

The stock mapping is obnoxiously rich, particularly at part throttle, and the maps from PowerCommander's website don't really address it. Full-load isn't too far off the mark, but part throttle is waaaaaayyyy rich, that's why your fuel consumption and range are so bad and why the engine oil stinks like fuel when you do an oil change and why the spark plugs come out black. Been there.

I have a PC3 and I've never used the adjustment buttons. If you used a computer to type on this website, you can use the same computer to run the PC3 mapping software and set up the map using a USB cable ...

·
Registered
313 Posts
What if you are typing on a MAC :wink:
Doesn't work on my Mac, but works on my windows 8 pc.

Come to think about it not to many after market anything works on my mac. Maybe Ubuntu, or Linux.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just forget since 2004.

Did I rmember well:

1- Push the 3 buttons until it flash
2- push the mid range and each time you hit the button 1 bar increase ???
3- How I go down ? using the 3 buttons or did I need to go back to the map and modify it ?

How to ?
You hold down the the 3 buttons and star the bike in nuetral. Release the buttons when the bike turns on on the PC unit lights up. Adjust mid range up by pressing mid button and down by holding mid range button down. Let the bike run for 20-30 seconds so the changes are saved. Turn the bike off and repeat this process for high range

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I have a PC3 and I've never used the adjustment buttons. If you used a computer to type on this website, you can use the same computer to run the PC3 mapping software and set up the map using a USB cable ...
I think your missing the point of the buttons in the first place. The idea behind the buttons is so you can play around with it on the fly WITHOUT the need of the same computer you use to type on this website.

You pull over on the side of the road, tweek the buttons and try again.

". In addition the Power Commander FC has the added ability to modify or change these maps on the fly without a computer."

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
The FACT they brought it back as the main feature of their economy model, is pretty telling lol! :lol:

No they just needed a gimmick to sell to low tech users that do not have a computer or are not smart enough to use one properly.

Trust me I know a thing or two about Powercommander sales :wink:

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
No they just needed a gimmick to sell to low tech users that do not have a computer or are not smart enough to use one properly.

Trust me I know a thing or two about Powercommander sales :wink:
LMAO! You know a thing or two but didn't even know the new model with the buttons existed. You got "owned" dude, :heyyou: again,.....accept it. Just like in the exhaust valve thread. :lol:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts