Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was out riding with some friends Saturday (didn't go to the mountains but did go on a tour of NC it seemed like)... out just hitting some turns and having a good time. Naturally after 4+ hours of riding, we start getting pretty confident and pushing harder than we should on unfamiliar roads. I came into a right-hander a little hotter than usual, thought to myself "the bike can make it, just don't panic" held everything steady, and the front tire washed out on me. I'm sure there is something I did wrong (other than going too fast for the street) but I'm really baffled by the whole situation and why it happened. Every bit of bodywork on the bike is trashed, excluding 3 small pieces. The engine covers on the front are ground down a bit, and my pipe is fubar'd... but all in all the bike came out mechanically awesome, rode it 2 hours back home with not even a broken a lever. My knees took some bad rash as the pants I had on didn't hold up too well, I was wearing a leather jacket that busted through the stitches and gave me a little rash on one arm, and the jacket rode up I have some nice strawberry's on my lower back. All in all I couldn't be happier with how I faired in the accident, but the bike's condition really pisses me off... I have full coverage but my rates will be fucked if I make a claim, so it looks like I'm paying out of pocket. My final thought: you roll pretty violently when you fall from 50+mph haha. Maybe I will slow down next time haha.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Damn that sucks! At least your ok.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Good to hear you came out relatively unscathed. As long as the bike is mechanically sound I agree with you about saying fawk making an ins claim on it. Get some new plastics & pipe & call it good.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I'm gonna get some race bodywork, some race rails, and keep killin it til the bike blows up or it gets totalled haha. This is my first accident in 5 years of riding though so I guess I had it coming.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Running the aftermarket compound bt016. It was my first day on this set, the front wasn't scuffed in all the way to the edge, actually about 3/4" of "chicken strip" left on them, so I did wonder if there was any oil left on the tire that caused it. Who knows... bottom line if I had been going 5mph slower it probably wouldn't have happened.

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
sounds like everyone is trashing their bikes before winter, glad your ok man

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm just glad my radiator, tank, swingarm, frame, and forks made it out alright. I'm still pissed all my bodywork got trashed though.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Running the aftermarket compound bt016. It was my first day on this set, the front wasn't scuffed in all the way to the edge, actually about 3/4" of "chicken strip" left on them, so I did wonder if there was any oil left on the tire that caused it. Who knows... bottom line if I had been going 5mph slower it probably wouldn't have happened.
no doubts in my mind that not running your tyres all the way in properly would have played a VERY big part in it.

glad your okay.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
it is just speculation, the tires acted fine up until that point so who knows, I may be grasping at straws at this point.

·
GEN II Driver
2,894 Posts
Glad you are ok. Bike and parts can be replaced. Sucks but it's just money and at least you survived.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
good to here you're all right. I'd make the claim, with that much damage it'll prolly get totalled, if not take the 5 grand they give you, put half into the bike and the other half towards the spike in your INS rates. You pay that monthly bill for a reason, I believe this is the reason. Whatever you do good luck man

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
^I somewhat agree... I just haven't decided. I have all the time in the world to decide, because there was no police report so I can pretty much get an estimate at any time and still get the insurance. I just don't know for sure, it's a gamble either way.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Just day it got knocked over and slid down a hill, they'll call it as vandalism and your rates won't go up, LOL, just kidding. Take your time, weigh the positives and negatives and don't beat yourself up, it's more than likely gonna happen to us all sooner or later, just be thankful there's no hospital bill to boot. What pants and jacket were you wearing by the way?

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was wearing a pair of jeans (possibly not the #1 choice, but still not too bad) and a leather jacket.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Glad you are ok man. I absolutley HATE Bridgestone tires. I dont feel confident on them, and always felt like I was going to do what you did in a turn. I switched to Dunlops and felt SOOOOO much better. I am not sure if it was a tire problem for you or not, but since you mentioned Bridgstones..... I had to bring up how I felt about them.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
411 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts