Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2018 ZX10R SE
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So not so much of a how to, there are tons of those on YouTube, but if anyone wants to know more then I will think about posting more details. For now. I did this without taking photos along the way but can describe it if desired. This is a platinum cured silicone mold with a heavy weight spread tow carbon fiber reinforcement plate. Basically, I ordered smooth on brand 2 part silicone brush on stuff. Mixed it. Brushed it on. Did a total of 3 coats. The last coat I kinda poured on. Then I got out a hair dryer, heated the shit out of it for about 15 min and it was set up pretty firm. From there I pulled the silicone. Trimmed it up a bit. And then got out the wide masking tape and taped the entire tail section of my bike fairing. Inside and out. I put the silicone back on the plastic now covered with tape. Used a lid from a broken Rubbermaid tub and some regular fiberglass resin since it is much cheaper than epoxy and draped a piece of spread tow over the part. Poured the resin on quite liberally and then folded over the ends to add rigidity to the edge of the mold. I added a ton of resin just in case since 12k spread tow eats resin. Then I got an old black t-shirt and laid it over top the whole thing. Last I stuck it all in one of those huge ziplock bags you could stick a large child in and used a vacuum on the vacuum port to suck the air out of the back and force the carbon and t-shirt mold onto the silicone and bike plastic. Last I got out my hand held clothes steamer and slowly went over the whole thing a few times. Being careful to not melt the bag and cause it to lose vacuum. After a couple hours I hit it again with a steamer for good measure then opened the bag and ripped it off the whole get down. From here it was a full body suit, respirator and face shield and a Dremel, oscillating multi tool and grinder in various combos until I got the edges of the mold to match the edges of the plastic. This is where I am at right now.

·
Registered
2018 ZX10R SE
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Next step is to pay in some 6k 2x2 twill carbon and wet it out. Then add a layer of unidirectional carbon and then one more layer of 6k. Add resin, wet and squeegee it down and insert into another fresh vacume bag. Wait a couple hours and should be near finished product. Fully carbon fiber tail section

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,373 Posts
Subbed!

Carbon is AWESOME! I've wanted to do some carbon work myself, but it wouldn't be replicas of parts already there to mold for the carbon. So I never went out to do that much. But, OH MAN, I'm excited to see the finished product!

I've got an idea for something that would be easy for you if you want to do some more stuff with it try to make some money selling them! ;) We'll see where you're at and how this turns out! I bet it will be great! Nicely done!!!

·
Registered
2018 ZX10R SE
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Subbed!

Carbon is AWESOME! I've wanted to do some carbon work myself, but it wouldn't be replicas of parts already there to mold for the carbon. So I never went out to do that much. But, OH MAN, I'm excited to see the finished product!

I've got an idea for something that would be easy for you if you want to do some more stuff with it try to make some money selling them! ;) We'll see where you're at and how this turns out! I bet it will be great! Nicely done!!!
so I have been doing hand layup carbon for a few years. This is the first time I have bothered to pony up the cash for the 2 part platinum cure silicone. Even the tiny ass kit I got was 65 bucks which isn't that bad until you take into account the mix cups and brushes and vac bags and resin and carbon etc.. I have 5 or 6 different types of carbon fiber sitting around. Had more but gave it to my friend. Also have about 15yard x 60inch roll of 1x1 Kevlar. Legit Dupont stuff I paid a serious chunk for. Was planning on seeing it into my designer jeans but turns out I need felt or I need to fuse the stuff I have to spectra or something first to prevent fraying when I want to see it. Anyhow. The silicone seems to make shit way the fuck nicer. Used to just use plasidip and spray a part. Few thick coats the. Lay carbon on it. Make a skin, then sand the plasidip off the inside and build down from there. Have made 1 piece belly pans. Side panels and heel gaurds. This is probably the most complex part I have attempted. And on this bike it has to be perfect.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,373 Posts
so I have been doing hand layup carbon for a few years. This is the first time I have bothered to pony up the cash for the 2 part platinum cure silicone. Even the tiny ass kit I got was 65 bucks which isn't that bad until you take into account the mix cups and brushes and vac bags and resin and carbon etc.. I have 5 or 6 different types of carbon fiber sitting around. Had more but gave it to my friend. Also have about 15yard x 60inch roll of 1x1 Kevlar. Legit Dupont stuff I paid a serious chunk for. Was planning on seeing it into my designer jeans but turns out I need felt or I need to fuse the stuff I have to spectra or something first to prevent fraying when I want to see it. Anyhow. The silicone seems to make shit way the fuck nicer. Used to just use plasidip and spray a part. Few thick coats the. Lay carbon on it. Make a skin, then sand the plasidip off the inside and build down from there. Have made 1 piece belly pans. Side panels and heel gaurds. This is probably the most complex part I have attempted. And on this bike it has to be perfect.
Sweet! Sounds like you have the process figured out. I know the whole top-level concept of laying out and forming the carbon, but the details of that are something different. Carbon is expensive - not just from the material itself, but also the labor to make it come out correct. Great job taking this on and I'm excited to see the DIY CF finished product! :p

·
Registered
2018 ZX10R SE
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If I find the other pics I'll post them. I have step by step shots of the side panels from my gen 1 zx10r when I made those and I also have the belly pan pics and the rear mud flap deal. My current chain gaurd is one I made myself too but anyhow. If I find em I'll post them. And yeah super labor intensive and expensive material and consumables wise. Carbon is super itchy and painful and electricly conductive so can destroy tools as well

·
Registered
2018 ZX10R SE
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Managed to find a few pics of some of my prior carbon work. Figured I would post them for reference.

·
Registered
2018 ZX10R SE
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
this is a wasp pattern. Can be kinda cool but doesn't match a whole lot of anything else.

·
Registered
2018 ZX10R SE
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Some of this was for my bike some was for friends and some was just me not liking the first try at it.
i made the belly pan max 2 layers of carbon thick. Used Kevlar thread and folded carbon stitched together and clamped into a cut in half PVC pipe after resin to make a u shaped cross brace for the rear that was light as hell and could support my entire 210 lbs without giving even a tiny bit.

·
Registered
2018 ZX10R SE
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok so I finally got around to prepping my mold with extruded PTFE, ie Teflon sheet that is 3 mil thick and fairly pliable with an adhesive backing. This is to prevent any of the resin from sticking if it goes over or beyond the silicon.

·
Registered
2018 ZX10R SE
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Anyhow teflon in, carbon laid and resin added. Waited over night and fucked up cause I forgot to put a second layer of carbon in and press it down all the way

·
Registered
2018 ZX10R SE
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Ended up sanding that shit down a good clip and getting rid of the super excess areas of resin. It looked kinda cool but too much resin. Now I'm doing it again but using that piece as the inside piece to press down on the new putter layer. I'm sure there will be holes cause I'm not using vacume so will be sanding and filling tomorrow.

·
Registered
2018 ZX10R SE
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Alright, so had to go and pick up some more supplies, as crazy as it is, the little crap like this is what adds up in the cost of making carbon fiber parts. Often it is way way cheaper to buy a part already made vs making the mold and doing all the rest of this crap at the same time. I know after the 100 I spent today and the cash I spent on the silicone and resin and other crap I just ordered on Amazon I'm breaking even on buying vs making this part. The difference being that I can make more for very cheap and I have leftover stuff to make molds of other parts of the bike. Picked up top coat or glossing resin and uv activated hardner so no need to wait or to rush the top coat. Also picked up vac bag gummy tape and brushes and squeegees and a new roller to get bubbles out and don't forget the tyvec suit. Sick if being itchy. I'm very tempted to just make the tail piece Forged...guess that's the new thing and honestly it is far more forgiving and easier to do and does look pretty sick. At least then my tail would look unique. Now to just get replacement oem stickers so I can apply those before the final clear coat.

·
Registered
2018 ZX10R SE
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Fml, so I left the end of my chipotle burrito out near my work area and the damn dog sniffed it out, my ass was in the back yard curring the uv gloss coat when I heard the dog coughing an scrambling out of the garage where she isn't supposed to be. Come in the house to see what's going on and the garage is on fire. Dog grabbed my burrito off the bench, knocked over my heat gun that works by taking it out of its cradle to turn on and placing it back in to turn off. It came out of the cradle and landed on the cardboard I was working on and pretty much blew 480c air on it till the cardboard melted the extension cord and the heat guns cord together where they shorted. I barley caught it on time to stop everything from going up in flames. Anyhow gonna be a few days before I can get back to my project as now I have to do smoke remediation before it sets into every surface of the house. Glad ozone generators exist

·
Registered
2018 ZX10R SE
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So I got back to this sooner than I expected...still needs to be sanded one more time and then top coated and polished but it's almost done

1 - 17 of 17 Posts