Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys - I am after cost-effective ideas as to what I could do to my 04 10R to give it a new lease of life!

Had my bike from new and have done 13,000 miles .. haven't had it serviced since 3/3/06 @ 7624 miles .. oil changed once since then as well as front pads but no inspection by dealer ...

I pretty much lost interest in road riding after a few track days and have recently got back into the swing of things ... so time for some spends me thinks :mrgreen:

What is has over stock: Devil can, damper, black screen + hump

On transit to me right now: 16t & 15t (should be a laugh!) front sprocket, speedo healer has arrived, CB1000RR 06 Calipers, New leathers (my current ones have shrunk a bit with lack of use!)

My motivation for this is me nearly parting with the 10R for a grunty twin ... my mate just got a Moto Morini Corsaro Veloce - very nuts in a 10R sort of way I have to say :mrgreen:

Most roads here are fairly bumpy with tight twisties with some triple digit speeds in between so I want turn in ability mixed with steady cornering and massive acceleration out of the slower corners .. :badteeth: I have messed with the suspension and seem to be getting the feel that I am after (fairly soft at the rear) but will work some more on this methinks .. I have even considered a bar riser kit from LSL for the manoeuvrability I am sure it will bring.

Piccy attached (first one shiows it's older cousin!):

Attachments

·
SPLAT!!!
2,340 Posts
You can shoot your pegs/rear sets with some black, polish your rim lips (always look super hot on a black bike) cut your pipe if you can, lose the fender, grips? easy stuff like that....

·
La Flama Blanca
7,730 Posts
Paint your engine covers, loosing the brown adds a world of difference.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
polished lips on a black bike does look amazing..
slap on some steel brakelines and a nissin radial master while your at it and alleviate any brake issues..

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Paint your engine covers, loosing the brown adds a world of difference.
I like the idea, but would you do the valve cover too? And what about the bottom of the fork legs? Just mask it off? I'm looking for little [relatively] cheap stuff to clean up my bike too.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Thinking in terms of transforming how the bike works, to give the OMG this is So worth it.

I'll say do the LSL conversion, Add the best Damper you can get (I used Scotts, but I do things myself, I don't think a mounting kit is available for the LSL kit) and... with the "insurance", and general calming of the Damper, then drop your triple clamps 12mm down the forks. This quickens the turning, very impressive ease of hitting a line and holding it, in the tight twisties.

I'm totally in love with Pirelli Diablo Corsa III, because on top of the security (lots can do that) they are way more complaint on rough roads, and that make your suspension feel like it got a serious up-grade.

Do those things, and see what you think OK ?

BTW how are your brakes? Have you "fixed" them? You want (if you haven't done it) one finger braking. So the brake and the gas is one control.:helmet:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Thanks for the ideas Guys ..... should keep me busy for a bit!

I'll say do the LSL conversion, Add the best Damper you can get (I used Scotts, but I do things myself, I don't think a mounting kit is available for the LSL kit) and... with the "insurance", and general calming of the Damper, then drop your triple clamps 12mm down the forks. This quickens the turning, very impressive ease of hitting a line and holding it, in the tight twisties.
This looks interesting - I have a normal damper that does nothing to almost solid in 14 clicks so as long as I can mount it on the LSL kit (I'll check with em) that'll be fine ... maybe I can drop the clamps with the stock bars for a similar effect but I imagine that higher/wider bars give the leverage and control required????

BTW how are your brakes? Have you "fixed" them? You want (if you haven't done it) one finger braking. So the brake and the gas is one control.:helmet:
Got the blade calipers to fit ... will see how that goes before SS hoses and then possibly MC ...

Am planning to blacken all the silver bits and maybe the engine covers too! Then polish the rim lips (what should I laquer them with to retain shine?) Then cut the can to a suitable length :mrgreen:

Went to fit a 15t front sprocket tonight but did not have the socket to do it, thought I had one somewhere !!! Gotta get one now (32mm DEEP WELL I believe),

·
Registered
524 Posts
I have the LSL bar kit on my 08 and absolutely love it. For my tired old body it was the difference between selling it and keeping it. I'd definately shorten the can. Looks like there is two of them joined together. LOL:thumbsup:

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
smoke everything out is a good deal, to save money you can always just tint them, I wouldnt say do the headlights due to the fact that they due get hot and may peel, but all black is the way to go, get somethings powdercoated, its cheap!!!

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
maybe I can drop the clamps with the stock bars for a similar effect but I imagine that higher/wider bars give the leverage and control required????

Yes, for twisties (and unless they are tight, they shouldn't be called twisties) and old road roughness, the higher wider bars are for the required control.

SuperMoto racers, Flat track racers, MX'rs, Desert racers, All of them. They don't sit up and have the simular handle bars, for nothing. It's the control.

(comfort is always mentioned on these conversions, but that's just frosting on the cake, for serious getting it on, when it's needed (or desired), you sit right, for it).

My suggestions are all about making you bike work, in the rough twisties, nothing for looks. When (if) they get done, your ZX-10 has every advantage over the other bikes that are turn key Hyper Motard types, from the high priced names. Depends on what you really want to do :helmet:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts