Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

so I did my 18,000km service on the bike and while I will probably do some of these things before the next scheduled one - I’m looking for some advice/wisdom to prevent having some hairy problems (as this is my daily, and I can’t afford to have it out of action for lengthy periods).

the tasks on the list will include;

1). Valve timing check
2). Change pads
3). Change chain and sprockets
4). Replace fibre clutch discs - as the clutch feels to be slipping, as is common it seems after doing a search on here

along with all the other checks and such that go with that particular service

the last three will probably happen before the service interval however if I can I’d rather do it all at once.
The one that really makes me nervous is the valve timing check, one because I really don’t want to screw it up (who would?) but also because getting the fairing off has never worked out well for me on previous bikes (comes off fine, never goes back on the same way).
Is there any advice or special tools you would recommend that made the job easier or which you had? Any special tricks that the service manual doesn’t really highlight?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I should mention for context - as far as tools because I had to move across the country I have given up a lot of my old tools, so I’ll be acquiring them as I go along.

so if it helps. Consider that I have no tools barring a cordless drill and 1/2” socket set. I know I’ll need things like a rattle gun to get the clutch pinion nut and the front sprocket nut as well as a torque attachment, barring that I’m going off what I can see in front of me, which leaves me a bit lost as to what’s underneath.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just another thing, every time I’ve changed out a clutch pack I’ve done just the fibres (but then again I’ve always had Suzi’s) and I’ve drained the oil (pedantic but le meh).
I saw this post where the OP asked if it could be done with the bike on the side stand……COULD IT BE?!?! tears of hope and anticipation intensifying

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
15,513 Posts
The valve lash check is the most crucial one on your list. The pads and chain/sprockets is more of an "as needed" item and not part of a mileage service.

If you're having clutch issues now, that needs to be addressed. Frankly, you should be resolving that first thing and not waiting.

If you haven't done much of anything else to the bike, it's probably time for a coolant change along with the brake fluid and freshening up the forks with an oil change. Those are the things that are more time/age based to get serviced on an interval.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The valve lash check is the most crucial one on your list. The pads and chain/sprockets is more of an "as needed" item and not part of a mileage service.

If you're having clutch issues now, that needs to be addressed. Frankly, you should be resolving that first thing and not waiting.

If you haven't done much of anything else to the bike, it's probably time for a coolant change along with the brake fluid and freshening up the forks with an oil change. Those are the things that are more time/age based to get serviced on an interval.

cheers for that, the forks I’ll probably Have to get my mechanic to do and quite possibly the coolant as well. As for the clutch - yep it is the first on my list.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Also - as to my question on changing over the clutch pack with the bike on the side stand, possible?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also. And this is a question owing to my lack of experience with the ZX10, what is the likelihood of needing to replace the steel plates in conjunction with the fibrous ones as well as springs? I’m trying to order parts now

·
Registered
ZX10RR
380 Posts
Hi guys,

so I did my 18,000km service on the bike and while I will probably do some of these things before the next scheduled one - I’m looking for some advice/wisdom to prevent having some hairy problems (as this is my daily, and I can’t afford to have it out of action for lengthy periods).

the tasks on the list will include;

1). Valve timing check
2). Change pads
3). Change chain and sprockets
4). Replace fibre clutch discs - as the clutch feels to be slipping, as is common it seems after doing a search on here

along with all the other checks and such that go with that particular service

the last three will probably happen before the service interval however if I can I’d rather do it all at once.
The one that really makes me nervous is the valve timing check, one because I really don’t want to screw it up (who would?) but also because getting the fairing off has never worked out well for me on previous bikes (comes off fine, never goes back on the same way).
Is there any advice or special tools you would recommend that made the job easier or which you had? Any special tricks that the service manual doesn’t really highlight?

Thanks in advance.
Valve timing with 18000kms ? thats a waste usually you dont need that at that mileage.

Pads? as in brake pads? did they wore out or what? you change em only if needed.

Change chain and sprockets? same deal, are they dead? on my first 10R the oem one lasted 36000kms

On the clutch disks, make sure its actually slipping. Check the steel cable for lack of play and make sure someone else tests you bike. I never, ever had to change clutch disks, so if they wore out at 18000 you must be doing something wrong.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Valve timing with 18000kms ? thats a waste usually you dont need that at that mileage.

Pads? as in brake pads? did they wore out or what? you change em only if needed.

Change chain and sprockets? same deal, are they dead? on my first 10R the oem one lasted 36000kms

On the clutch disks, make sure its actually slipping. Check the steel cable for lack of play and make sure someone else tests you bike. I never, ever had to change clutch disks, so if they wore out at 18000 you must be doing something wrong.
Thanks brother. Part of me is being pedantic. As far as the bike I got it at 14,900km so I can only speak for the last 3,100 🤣

I was more asking about the valve timing for the 24,000 service, get some time to get the tools and such.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
15,513 Posts
Also - as to my question on changing over the clutch pack with the bike on the side stand, possible?
Yes, it's possible. I wouldn't recommend it though. The bike should really be supported on stands to secure it. Working the clutch and pushing/pulling tools on it, the sidestand can fold up real easy and the bike will fall over. Doing everything like that on the rear stand frees up the rear wheel and supports the bike better.

Also. And this is a question owing to my lack of experience with the ZX10, what is the likelihood of needing to replace the steel plates in conjunction with the fibrous ones as well as springs? I’m trying to order parts now
The likelihood of the steels and springs needing replacement is low. It's possible and you need to inspect them first to see if they need replacement. But if you just wanted to not worry about it, then replace it all if you have the money.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts