Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my bike has been down for a while because i took the wheels off off to get them powdered coated gold (pics today, hopefully), well i also need to do a bit of maintenance on it and just wanted to get some pointers and precautions before i dove in.

first of all i need to clean/lube my chain. anything specific to do with this besides clean the gunk/grease off with a brush and lube with fresh lube?

bleed brakes. yesterday i finally got the wheels back on but my front calipers weren't making friction with the rotor although i could feel some movement in the pads. i bled the brakes for less than a second and i got pressure back. my friend who is a mechanic, specializing in front-end work on cars/trucks, says i should bleed them for 5-10 seconds and then re-up in my reservoir. anything else suggested?

body work. while i had my wheels off i had it sitting on a lift and it actually fell over because the straps would come loose, it broke on the black line in the picture below. it's not horribly damage, but i think i could make it look decent, at least until i can replace the fairing, but i'm not sure how to go about repairing this kind of material. any tips, guides, or suggestions?

also, my rear rotor is rubbing on the pads during part of the rotation. i need to do a closer analysis of the alignment of my rear axle, and i will do that, but can anyone tell me another reason it might be doing this? i supposed it's possible my rotor is warped, but it doesn't look to be. any one experience this? how should i go about fixing it?

thanks for all the help!

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
yeah rear rotor could possibly be warped but you would have to be doing some major braking to do that......

as for the chain lube, cleaning it and lubing it is pretty much basic, I have a DID ERV3 chain I have been cleaning with WD40 for over 1.5 yrs and using different types of lubes like PJ1 BelRay Motul and they all work great, either way ya gotta clean your undertail afterwards hahahah.

witht he brakes if you can bleed them as much as you can jsut to make sure everything is out of the system.... going threw 3-4 re-fills of your resivior should most defintly clear out anything.... also on the 06-07's they have a upper bleed screw to bleed the master cyl..... try bleeding from there a bit as well....

and for the fairing, they do have plastic repair kits, kind of like a fiberglass sheet that you expoy to the back side of the fairing.... a local shop shol dhave it, I believe tucker rocky or parts unlimited carries the kit...

hope that helps

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
actually i took the rotor off back in october when i took the wheels off to get them coated. it's just been sitting in a tupperware bin with other parts, so if it warped it wasn't from braking, besides i rarely use my rear brake, if ever.

great info, thanks.

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
If They Powdercoated Over The Mounting Surface It Could Possibly Be That One Part Of The Surface Is Higher Then The Other And Making The Rotor Wave And Touch One Part Of The Brake Pads..... Other Then That Possibly A Wheel Alignment.....

Opps Sorry For The Caps

1 - 4 of 4 Posts