Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally get my '05 10R down to the drag strip to try this bike drag racing thing. I read all the time about people in the 9's or low 10's so I figure this being my first time to drag race a bike,that I can at least get in the 10's right? WRONG! My street driven naturally aspirated mustang is faster in the Quarter than my bike.Now I realise that it takes practice to get these things down the track,and believe me it was harder than it looked. I wasn't able to go full throttle till the 1000' mark,because every time I did it stood up on me. Best time was [email protected] with a 2.01 60ft.The best in my '88 mustang was a [email protected] with a 1.49 60ft. Mods are Muzzy slip on,pc3,and k&n. Lastly,why do so many mags claim anywhere from 9.70's to low 10's @ 144 to 148 mph right off the street? Am I missing something,or are they that good?:dontknow:

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
My Guess is yes, they are that good. Plenty of time floatin around this forum that show low numbers. Light bike, short wheelbase, lotta HP means ya' got your hands full at the strip. BTW. Doing the same in the spring and I expect my times to suck for a bit.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
nitrous347 said:
So I finally get my '05 10R down to the drag strip to try this bike drag racing thing. I read all the time about people in the 9's or low 10's so I figure this being my first time to drag race a bike,that I can at least get in the 10's right? WRONG! My street driven naturally aspirated mustang is faster in the Quarter than my bike.Now I realise that it takes practice to get these things down the track,and believe me it was harder than it looked. I wasn't able to go full throttle till the 1000' mark,because every time I did it stood up on me. Best time was [email protected] with a 2.01 60ft.The best in my '88 mustang was a [email protected] with a 1.49 60ft. Mods are Muzzy slip on,pc3,and k&n. Lastly,why do so many mags claim anywhere from 9.70's to low 10's @ 144 to 148 mph right off the street? Am I missing something,or are they that good?:dontknow:
The bike bone stock will go 9.7's believe me.:helmet: You said it yourself that you couldn't go full throttle until 1000' mark, your 60' is suffering also, but even with it like that if you keep it down you should still go into the 10's. All you need is SEAT TIME!!! The first 330' is the most important on a bike, so get to practicing and come back and post that "magazines don't lie":mrgreen: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
Ruthless Racing said:
The bike bone stock will go 9.7's believe me.:helmet: You said it yourself that you couldn't go full throttle until 1000' mark, your 60' is suffering also, but even with it like that if you keep it down you should still go into the 10's. All you need is SEAT TIME!!! The first 330' is the most important on a bike, so get to practicing and come back and post that "magazines don't lie":mrgreen: :thumbsup:

:iamwithst Seat time is the key.

·
Administrator
6,700 Posts
mags usually get a ringer (pro/semi-pro) in there, they tend to strap the bike as well.

·
Registered
99 Posts
first of all, yes its tough to ride one these high powered short bikes. @nd.. yes magazines lie... well they stretch truth.. they use correction factors to get there times down to perfect condtions at sea level. So they dont really run times they list...

But its possible to get low 10's and high 9's from stock bike. many of us use little stuff like front end strap, or lower bike. it all helps. and magazine riders are good racers and they get more than 1 pass to get there ET's down. its tough riding one of these bikes at stock height, with no mods or changes...basically showroom stock bike. again Seat Time is key.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Its a bad drummer who blames the drums... The mag riders are good....they better be, they are paid to test ride bikes for a living. They also dont care about the damage they do to the bike. Burnt clutches tires ect...not thier problem..they ride it like they stole it for a few days then send them back

·
Supercharged Mod
4,391 Posts
If the Mustang is doing quarter mile times that fast, then it has also had a lot more power adders on it, because in anything remotely like the tuning of the bike (Stock-ish but with exhaust, K&N, plus air/fuel-ratio-tweaking; i.e. a chip; same effect as Power Commander on the bike) it is not a 10 second car.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I ran a 11.1 pass on my '03 636, i sure hope the 10R is faster!

Work on your launches & keeping the front wheel down, you'll get faster. Maybe not as fast as the magazines...but like others have said, they don't worry about frying clutches or much else. Good luck!

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
as others have stated...the bike is faster then you can make it go...

just have fun and dont kill yourself! Get consistent and your times will start to fall! :wink:

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
nitrous347 said:

You got a 10 sec Mustang?.... Nice!... 1.49 is a pretty good 60ft time.....

It is a lot harder to lanch a bike of the line than a car......

:+1: to what everyone else said ^^^.....

·
Registered
92 Posts
i agree with straping and lowering it. that helps alot. if u learn to feather the clutch it will help keep the wheel on the ground, but the down side to that is u will go through clutches pretty quick. if u want to get serious about drag racing, then be prepared to spend money on clutches and other things as well.

·
Banned
89 Posts
Mags dont lie, went 9.77 @ 146 straight off the showroom floor last September.(05) Just practice your riding skills, you'll get it down.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I just ran my first 9 sec. 1/4 last night! Stock bike with a strap. The bike has a lot of potential, it's up to you to learn how to handle the power. Don't give up, the speed is there. Took me quite a few runs to get to the 9s.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
60ft... 330ft, 60ft..... 330ft, buy new clutch..... wash, rise repeat.

Once you can put the stock bike into the low 1.80-1.70 60ft's (and stay in it through the 330... that's the damn hard part), it'll go into the deep 10's or even the 9's. There's something to be said for quick, clutchless shifting as well I might add..... I've seen newbs pick up several tenths just learning how to shift ;). Mind you, I run up here @ a bit higher elevation than most other places I've ever been; seeing one of our mobile-weather-station-dohickies read over 6000ft is not at all uncommon in the summer.

...and correction factors are bullshit. I could easily run into the 9's up here at SIR if I corrected to these mythical 'perfect' conditions. Truth is, all that extra sea-level power is a bit harder to manage.... and I've never had a day @ sea level back in NC that was 59 F, not humid, with good high barometric pressure, all at the same time.

Practice, practice... you'll get it with time.

·
Registered
620 Posts
nitrous347 said:
If you got a 10sec car then you are hauling ass man, and im sure you know that. What all you got done? Im currently building a 383stroker with 10.5compression and a set of 195cc AFR Heads to put in a 87IROC-Z and my buddy is building a 351W to put in his Foxbody coupe, nice car. Post some pics of the car man.

·
Registered
804 Posts
BryanB said:
If you got a 10sec car then you are hauling ass man, and im sure you know that. What all you got done? Im currently building a 383stroker with 10.5compression and a set of 195cc AFR Heads to put in a 87IROC-Z and my buddy is building a 351W to put in his Foxbody coupe, nice car. Post some pics of the car man.
Is the windsor motor a 393 stroker? Are you going to drive the z on the street?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts