Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sigh. I had just put it up for sale and had one guy come over to look at it yesterday. He's the only one. Bike was parked outside in the motorcycle parking at my condo complex, locked with a krypto u-lock to a chain in the ground, had only been parked there 2 days, but had been parked in my lighted carport previously.

Guy who came to look at the bike left yesterday an hour before dark. Went to ride it tonight a little more than 24 hours later. Pulled the cover off and noticed the lowers were gone. Whoever stole it, whether it was the guy or his friend who came to look at it or someone else, was nice enough to put the cover back on and secure it with the hooks just the way it was when they were done.

I have comprehensive covg on that bike but do have a $100 deductible, which I just changed to 0 for the future. I already have 0 deductible on the 10R.

Lesson learned is this...

When selling anything, try to meet people off site from where you live like at a gas station, prkg lot, etc. If it was these guys, well whatever. You get it.

It's ironic cause I was just looking at a place with a garage yesterday. I will now be considering that option more seriously.

Well, at least I'll get some nice shiny lowers out of the deal. Wish they'd stolen the tailsection too since that had some major scuffing on it.

Anyway, I'm gonna roll down to the dealer with it tomorrow and drop it off and let them fix it all up. That's that.

Dave

·
aka kwakrider
412 Posts
what year is your gixif its one of the recall frame years have them fix that too while its there or mabye you did that my bad.just thunking of your safety.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's an '02. Not one of the recall years.

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
what d bags....sorry that happened to you bro....these days people are so shady and hardly give an eff about people these days!

·
Registered
179 Posts
snip....When selling anything, try to meet people off site from where you live like at a gas station, prkg lot, etc....
not that thats a bad idea, but if i was going to buy a bike and could not go to the guys house it would raise all kinds of red flags. such as possably stolen and they dont what you to know where they live. just my .02. sucks about the bike man

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Sorry about that, always feel dirty when someone feels up one of your girls. On another note, what color scheme is your gixxer, how many miles and how much? Sorry, I'll search the for sale thread now, LOL

·
aka kwakrider
412 Posts
not that thats a bad idea, but if i was going to buy a bike and could not go to the guys house it would raise all kinds of red flags. such as possably stolen and they dont what you to know where they live. just my .02. sucks about the bike man
im kinda old school and dont have stangers around my family over selling a bike , i just tell ya im going to the waffle house and meet you there bring your money and ill have the title and you can check the vin # in the parking lot no money no ride ,what else is there.:cool:

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
With all the stories I've heard on this site and others of guys/gals getting their bikes or parts stolen while living in apartment complexes was on my mind. I recently just moved from Indianapolis back to MI and was looking for an apartment but told my wife that I refused to live in an apartment unless it had a garage. I found one with a 1 car garage and it has worked out great for storing and working on the bike along with not having to worry about theft. Insurance is also cheaper having the bike locked in a garage.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Looked up the parts that are missing. Total of around $1600 for the parts, prob 3 book hours labor, tax, etc. Total around $2200 for the claim. Wonder what this will do to my insurance rates in the future?

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
what year is your gixif its one of the recall frame years have them fix that too while its there or mabye you did that my bad.just thunking of your safety.:rolleyes:
Sucks that it happen. At least they didn't take the whole bike. Hmmm...... maybe that would have been better.LOL:eek:ccasion1

Kwakrider, what years were the frame recall on the Gixxers? What was the problem with them? Tks, I was thinking of getting one just to trash around. Don't want ot hurt my 10.:eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Actually would have been better if they stole the whole bike since I bought the bike cheap. Insurance would have been more than the bike. I'm a little worried they might come back? Although if they did and they took enough stuff, it would total out the bike and I'd get a nice chunk of $$$. Weird how they put the cover back on though. Just can't figure that out. Wondering if they wanted to keep it lo-pro so they could come back later and finish the job by taking the upper, headlights, tank, tail, etc.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Looked up the parts that are missing. Total of around $1600 for the parts, prob 3 book hours labor, tax, etc. Total around $2200 for the claim. Wonder what this will do to my insurance rates in the future?
Wow! A set of OEM lowers for my '05 10R is under $200., and takes a couple minutes to install.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow! A set of OEM lowers for my '05 10R is under $200., and takes a couple minutes to install.
Yeah, these go from the upper all the way to the bottom...large pieces. $650 or more retail. I checked www.bikebandit.com for pricing on the plastics. Factoring in Shop labor rates for all this. But yeah, should take less time to install than book states.

·
aka kwakrider
412 Posts
does your garage apt have cameras, check craigslist(in your surronding areas) for someone selling this year bike with no faring or looking for these parts,do you still have the guys ph # that was looking at bike see if you can trace address and go for a little ride.who else did you tell about where the bike sat?

·
aka kwakrider
412 Posts
Sucks that it happen. At least they didn't take the whole bike. Hmmm...... maybe that would have been better.LOL:eek:ccasion1

Kwakrider, what years were the frame recall on the Gixxers? What was the problem with them? Tks, I was thinking of getting one just to trash around. Don't want ot hurt my 10.:eek:ccasion1
go to pictures and videos and serch thread "comming apart at the seams" take a look at the weld beads.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts