Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anybody lower their clip-ons? i think maybe von did but didnt like it...the 10 is totally comfortable to me but i've been thinkin about this for a while(less wheelie prone out of corners is the desired result, more weight up front) , lowering maybe a half or 3/4 inch. looks like there wouldnt be clearance issues(i think), BUT, can i really trust this one clip-on bolt to keep it all together, since the ones on the bottomside that keep them attatched to the triple tree will be deleted???

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
All the one on top does is center the clip on and make sure that they are not off to one side or the other. You could make a spacer to put in the place of the gap and then use a longer bolt on the bottom one and still accomplish what you are trying to do...

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
I rotated mine outward 1/8" but not lower.

BD

·
Я - Ребен&#108
3,580 Posts
Big Daddy said:
I rotated mine outward 1/8" but not lower.

BD
I rotated mines outward about a good, 1/2" or more
and I lowered the clipons about one inch, and lowered the front about 16mm .

this is a lovely position. it is more racey now, but still feels good.
after I crashed i added woodcraft clipons and they feel good and had long poles so i only cut about one inch off the poles.

its nice... the front end stay down way more now....now 185mph don't feel so scary!

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
latdrop said:
anybody lower their clip-ons? i think maybe von did but didnt like it...the 10 is totally comfortable to me but i've been thinkin about this for a while(less wheelie prone out of corners is the desired result, more weight up front) , lowering maybe a half or 3/4 inch. looks like there wouldnt be clearance issues(i think), BUT, can i really trust this one clip-on bolt to keep it all together, since the ones on the bottomside that keep them attatched to the triple tree will be deleted???
Do you really expect to better control wheelies by lowering the clip-ons 3/4 inch? No matter where your clip-ons are, your weight should be supported by your torso, not your hands and the clip-ons. Basically if you're using proper riding technique all you'd be doing would be leaning down a bit more and probably lowering the center of gravity more than you'd be moving it forward. I'm not sure what effect that would have on wheelie control. :dontknow:

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Oh, and moved to performance & tech... Should be a good discussion.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
El Diablo said:
Do you really expect to better control wheelies by lowering the clip-ons 3/4 inch? No matter where your clip-ons are, your weight should be supported by your torso, not your hands and the clip-ons. Basically if you're using proper riding technique all you'd be doing would be leaning down a bit more and probably lowering the center of gravity more than you'd be moving it forward. I'm not sure what effect that would have on wheelie control. :dontknow:
good pt El D!...

no, i dont... not on this bike... and unwanted wheelies arent a big problem... i think i was just thinking about one or two wheelies out of corners when i wrote this in the first place...

basically, until i get to buying more hardware i'm gonna adjust, adjust, adjust...i remembered von lowering his and i was wondering how he liked it, then BD and he mentioned they moved them forward a bit as well...this may not be for me, i'm 5'9", but this bike is not uncomfortable at all to me so i was thinking i could get a bit of auto-tuck going by dropping them a bit...something along those lines...

i dont think its a long reach to the bars( at my height how could it be) so this was just another thought, but i'm gonna try it tonight i think...

in a couple months, after i change tires and get it close for what i think is good, i'm gonna take it to a pro for proper set-up...i come from the school of fiddling with stuff to see how it works and this falls into that category...thanks guys...

·
Registered
385 Posts
Vonstallin said:
I rotated mines outward about a good, 1/2" or more
and I lowered the clipons about one inch, and lowered the front about 16mm .

this is a lovely position. it is more racey now, but still feels good.
after I crashed i added woodcraft clipons and they feel good and had long poles so i only cut about one inch off the poles.

its nice... the front end stay down way more now....now 185mph don't feel so scary!
I've never seen anyone type like they talk before. LOL :)

·
Я - Ребен&#108
3,580 Posts
deputydog95 said:
I've never seen anyone type like they talk before. LOL :)
Yea,

Forget the formality, and proper tying siht ! i have way to many reports and emails to do that with, ....Here, well i like to type whats coming out my mind...or mouth..you know,....so that everyone can get a vibe off of my personality...

Von.
Can you dig it? lol

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ABORT!!!...ABORT!!!... clearance issues!!.... and the top inch or two of the fork looks machined differenct than the lower portion... kinda looks like they(clips) were made to be at the top anyway... the stainless lines liked to bump into the ram tunnel at full left lock... i gotta say this thing is put together tight...not a lot of spare room...how do guys lower their fromnt ends and still have the clips grab the part of the fork where it is smaller than at the top???does anyone have any idea what i mean?? once i learn this posting pics thing, you'll all get more than my weak verbal assimilations of the issue at hand...

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
latdrop said:
ABORT!!!...ABORT!!!... clearance issues!!.... and the top inch or two of the fork looks machined differenct than the lower portion... kinda looks like they(clips) were made to be at the top anyway... the stainless lines liked to bump into the ram tunnel at full left lock... i gotta say this thing is put together tight...not a lot of spare room...how do guys lower their fromnt ends and still have the clips grab the part of the fork where it is smaller than at the top???does anyone have any idea what i mean?? once i learn this posting pics thing, you'll all get more than my weak verbal assimilations of the issue at hand...
heres mine slammed and i love it. no more handle bar shaking. no, i dont have to be careful going over bumps. my wife can still ride on the back too with no problems. my clip ons are not a problem i just sit a little forward which i love because i drag race and i can putt more weight in front.im going drop the rear some more, about an inch and see how that works out.

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
latdrop said:
yea i here what you layin down latrop. The tubes have 3" of adjustment before inceasing in size , they go from 49.5mm to 54mm. For someone using ss-lines they would certainly have to account for the changes they plan to make so theres no excess line to get crimped/bent.

BD

·
Registered
370 Posts
:badteeth: So when I switch over to a handlebar and strip off all the unnecessary front plastic, y'all think I'm going to have a problem with wheelies?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts